Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
scc

Default [DF] Zero-Rating Racial Template Costs

The recent thread on racial point costs got me thinking.

My idea here is that a Player needs to pick one of 6 standard races, or two of 6 half breeds, giving a total of 36 braces for them to choose from. Now as these are both mandatory AND the same price is it OK to not count against a characters point total?

The reason for asking is that without doing this using Allies to represent low powered helpers like students or disciplines either results in them using the cheapest race available, usually human, which doesn't make sense for groups that should be mixed race, or they end up much more powerful then is really expected for such characters.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: [DF]Zero-Rating Racial Template Costs

I'm afraid that's not something I've encountered. My players tend to go for the thing they think is cool rather than the best deal for the points.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Now as these are both mandatory AND the same price is it OK to not count against a characters point total?
Yup. If you have Ads and Disads that everyone has to take (in this case a choice from options that are all the same cost) it's totally legit to just call it a Campaign Gimme and not charge anything.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
My idea here is that a Player needs to pick one of 6 standard races, or two of 6 half breeds, giving a total of 36 braces for them to choose from. Now as these are both mandatory AND the same price is it OK to not count against a characters point total?
Of course. Like some settings have Literacy or Illiteracy assumed for zero points.

I have applied campaign templates before, I tend to add them into the point total but as a freebie. So my street level Supers campaign was 250 points as follows: 100 points normal + 150 points super + 25 points mandatory package. Or you could say it was 275 points total but 25 points on what I tell you. Or you can waive it as zero points and the PCs are 250 points.

It doesn't really matter until you get things like Allies as you mention, in which case go with what you want. As long as you are consistent, it shouldn't matter.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote