Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
hal

Default Raymond Reddington in GURPS

Hello Folks,
I don't know who else might know of the TV series THE BLACKLIST (Heck, I didn't find out out it until I started watching it on Amazon Prime). The More I watch the series (Starting to watch season 2), I can't help but wonder just how one would stat out Raymond "Red" Reddington.

Seems to be a decent shot with a silenced pistol, has decent enough hand to hand in close fighting skills. Seems to be relatively perceptive, yet not all knowing and spotting things. It appears that he has an incredible memory - perhaps for faces only, but he seems to be able to recall things from the past in a level of detail that is unusual.

Yes, he's a fictional construct, but it does raise interesting possibilities of how to portray him using strict GURPS rules as written.

Anyone ever take and attempt to stat the guy up? Just curious...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Raymond Reddington in GURPS

Based on your description, I'd give him Eidetic Memory if not Photographic Memory, relevant combat skills at 14, and Per and Observation at 14. Not sure what else, but probably IQ and several skills needed for his role in the 12 to 14 range.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
tshiggins

Skills in the range of 14-15 for Diplomacy and Fast-talk, he's got a huge number of points in Contacts and Allies (and enemies...), a lot of wealth, and world-class Intelligence Analysis.

Seriously, though, he's less a character than a plot device; he serves the same function as River Tam.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Seriously, though, he's less a character than a plot device; he serves the same function as River Tam.
A PC's Ally and Dependent with an Enemy on the sheet that brings everyone Trouble and triggers another PC's Greed disad due to the price on the Ally/Dependent's head?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
A PC's Ally and Dependent with an Enemy on the sheet that brings everyone Trouble and triggers another PC's Greed disad due to the price on the Ally/Dependent's head?
Pretty much, yeah. His presence, and his enemies, drive most of the series' plot.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
hal

As I watch the series, all I could think of was "FIXER" in the extreme.

As it appears thus far, without spoilers for me, and I don't want to give spoilers to anyone else - the man is personally driven by events of his past much akin to why our "tough heroes" are so tough, calloused even.

A code of honor along the lines of "Cannot harm innocents" (But not the same as!!!) combined with a blood thirstiness if you will.

As I start watching season 2, I get the vibe of "undercover cop gone bad, but for the right reasons". Reminds me of a line from a John Wayne movie when he talks about Billy the Kid saying words to the effect "you have the stench of death about you Billy".

In other words, you can't kill someone in cold blood and not come out right in the end". Wade in the sewers and you come out smelling like the sewers every time.

If you think about the overall storyline thus far? The man was a naval academy rising star, set to advance in the US Navy, only to arrive home one day and find blood instead of a loving family.

Questions that run through my mind are:

Where did he get the money to build his empire?

Why is he in bed with the people who are movers and shakers (trying to preserve the spoiler issue by not naming the movers and shakers)

The man is clearly ruthless when/where it comes to punishing those he finds guilty - and is more than willing to go the route of Judge, Jury, and Executioner. There is almost a Pirate's code of honor in this in the sense that if you do him wrong, he will hunt you down. Steal from him, and you get punished. I got the sense though, that he expects the worst in people, so it is the "stupidity" of people robbing him and assuming he's dumb" that seems to be the biggie thus far.

So - profile wise? The likes/dislikes (Quirks) along with mental disadvantages, codes of honor, lines he won't cross (doesn't seem to want indiscriminant collateral damage) etc.

Charisma?

Strong background in what makes people tick - so perhaps an ability to be calloused when he wants, but capable of empathy? (Hmm, classic psychopath perhaps?)

Just thinking - "Hey, this may be a plot device", but it would be maddening to try to get it down on paper in GURPS.

For example? He might qualify as someone with Streetwise effective say, 12, but with an organization behind him, it effectively goes up to around 18 or so. If he's got a contact in a city, his streetwise goes up accordingly, when in areas not of his primary area of operations, he's no better nor worse than anyone else it seems.

In all, it might be fun to try and wrinkle out what he might be in GURPS terminology so that anyone dumb enough to run a Cyberpunkesque campaign, could work someone like him as a corporate like Fixer at the apex of HIS food chain, but out there against other criminal syndicates, other government agencies, knowing where the dirty banks are, etc.

Yes, plot device, but an effective one! :)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
hal

In watching this further, it appears that Raymond seems to have a very high psychology skill - not for the purpose of treating people, so much as to understand motivations. Body Language has to be a reasonably high rated skill. Not so high that he can't be fooled from time to time, but high enough to be consistently right.

I've long understood the concept of cliff hangers, but I have to say that this series has ben highly engrossing, especially with the modern day capacity for binge watching on Netflix. ;)

Each episode has me wanting to click the next episode to see where this is going. Just finished the episode where he's told "I know where the Fulcrum is".

Dang...
Old 05-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #8
DanHoward

He does an all-white jigsaw puzzle in Season 4; requires an extraordinary degree of patience and perseverance.

IMO the key to his success is his huge network of contacts. Whatever job he needs doing or info he needs to learn, he knows someone who can handle it. His memory is best utilised in recalling who can best do the job he requires and how he can most easily manipulate this person, rather than remembering facts and events.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-29-2018 at 04:29 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
He does an all-white jigsaw puzzle in Season 4; requires an extraordinary degree of patience and perseverance.

IMO the key to his success is his huge network of contacts. Whatever job he needs doing or info he needs to learn, he knows someone who can handle it. His memory is best utilised in recalling who can best do the job he requires and how he can most easily manipulate this person, rather than remembering facts and events.
In all honesty? He comes across as a high level fixed from CYBERPUBK 2020's supplement "WILD SIDE".