Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #181
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Howdy, Folks!

This week's offering is the first in a new series of Tidbits, kind of an umbrella category for short pieces you can add to your games. It is a write-up of Gina Marie's Gun Emporium, a legit downtown gun store that is also a front for illegal sales from the back room.

Includes a basic map of the premises, details of the shop, and brief stats for the major NPCs. Please let me know what you think, both of this week's post and the kinds of things you'd find useful for future Tidbits.

Enjoy!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #182
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
This week's offering is the first in a new series of Tidbits, kind of an umbrella category for short pieces you can add to your games. It is a write-up of Gina Marie's Gun Emporium, a legit downtown gun store that is also a front for illegal sales from the back room.
Nice! That's a very useful resource for modern games. I love finding things that I can drop into my games without having to do the work. :)

(Especially with the map/floor plan. I'm terrible at those. I need to find some decent Linux-based hex-map software suitable for dummies.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #183
Kalzazz

One useful thing for me would be quick descriptions or pictures of the characters
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #184
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Nice! That's a very useful resource for modern games. I love finding things that I can drop into my games without having to do the work. :)
You and me both! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
(Especially with the map/floor plan. I'm terrible at those. I need to find some decent Linux-based hex-map software suitable for dummies.)
Yeah, I think I'd call the "maps" I make 'functional at best,' but they hopefully get the job done. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
One useful thing for me would be quick descriptions or pictures of the characters
Good call, Kalzazz, I'll see what I can find. I usually leave descriptions up to the GM, but as the old adage goes, "Better to have an NPC description and not need it than to need it and not have it."

EDIT: Added some pics. Peter and William are a little prettier than I was thinking, but that's what happens when you go trolling headshots?

Last edited by mook; 06-10-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #185
mook

A scattershot post today, touching briefly on an odd assortment of GURPS-related snippets: my favorite online RPG communities, the backlash against perceived GURPS zealotry, GURPSDay, recent feedback on "How to Be a GURPS GM," a new character creation video, "GM Kit" updates, and a look at some future projects.

Hopefully you'll find at least a few nuggets of interest to tide you over until next week.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #186
mook

Happy GURPSDay, folks!

In the nearly two years since "How to Be a GURPS GM" was released, 25 new GURPS PDFs have been published. Today I give a brief rundown on where those new books would fit in "HTBAGG," and a couple of ideas for things I'd add.

As a side note, I did a short interview last week with an online gaming site about GURPS in general, and "How to Be a GURPS GM" specifically -- should have a link to share in a few weeks.

Get out there and throw some dice!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #187
mook

Howdy, Folks! It's already been a week since the last Game Geekery post, so I am here once again with a blog post for GURPSDay.

Today, a few thoughts on why I, specifically, enjoy GURPS so much by looking back at my game-formative years, and why it is "The Synthesizer of RPGs." It's sort of my "RPG Origin Story," like if I were Wolverine.

I'm getting ready for a very much needed, very chill and relaxing long weekend. I hope you've got some of the same lined up!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #188
mook

Greetings all!

A crazy holiday weekend and a pile of to-dos left me with very little time to post this week, so I thought today I would share an amusing gaming anecdote from waaaay back in the day... the Bunny Story.

Remember: not all the people you explain RPGs to are going to make their IQ check for comprehension.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #189
mook

One of my absolute favorite game setups is for all of the characters to be members of a ship's crew, traveling from port to port, watching each other's backs as they adventure through danger and seek the next payday.

If it's good enough for Firefly, Farscape, Killjoys, and Dark Matter, it's good enough for me!

Today, I muse a bit on these shows and the roles their crewmembers fill, as a guide for creating PCs that do the same.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #190
Kalzazz

I'm surprised you didn't mention Star Trek . . . . if you mention this topic that's the absolute first thing to come to mind

My favorite might be Andromeda

Jason and the Argonauts is a historical one

I've tried doing such a campaign once as honestly I love the idea of a grand and glorious space battleship in a mast to mast slugging match . . . it went abysmally. Honestly I have no good idea how to pull off 'PCs on a ship'
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs