Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Tinman

Default Help building this limitation [powers] [psionics]

First I want to make clear that I am the GM. I'm not a player trying to min/max or game the system.

I'm trying to make a character who's powers are uncontrollable. However, if he gains control of them I want them to be unreliable.

At first glance I thought this would be an Either/Or limitation. However this makes the power much more limited at a much lower limitation value.

How would I design this?
It cant be either/or as just one limitation alone would give me more points back than both but clearly both is much more limiting.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Help building this limitation [powers] [psionics]

Do you want "gaining control" to be a thing that happens once and is permanent? Or do you want it to be a thing that is lost and regained repeatedly?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Maybe this is obvious, but I'll note that if the character is going to be an NPC, you don't need to make this a build, you can just decide that's what happens.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I'm trying to make a character who's powers are uncontrollable. However, if he gains control of them I want them to be unreliable.
I think we need clarification here on "gains control".

Are you saying that all conscious uses will be unreliable, but the uncontrolled uses will lack unreliable?

If that's what you want, I would just give the ability uncontrollable and unreliable at their full limitation value, with a note that unreliable does not apply to uncontrolled use. Since the uncontrollable uses should generally harm the character more than help him, the fact that it is more reliable for uncontrolled uses does not need to cost the character more points.

Last edited by finn; 09-04-2021 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I think we need clarification here on "gains control".

Are you saying that all conscious uses will be unreliable, but the uncontrolled uses will lack unreliable?

If that's what you want, I would just give the ability uncontrollable and unreliable at their full limitation value, with a note that unreliable does not apply to uncontrolled use. Since the uncontrollable uses should generally harm the character more than help him, the fact that it is more reliable for uncontrolled uses does not need to cost the character more points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Do you want "gaining control" to be a thing that happens once and is permanent? Or do you want it to be a thing that is lost and regained repeatedly?
So according to uncontrollable, once a control roll (based on will) is succeeded, the power stops acting up until another trigger event happens.

Last edited by Tinman; 09-04-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Maybe this is obvious, but I'll note that if the character is going to be an NPC, you don't need to make this a build, you can just decide that's what happens.
I'm planning on adding an involuntary "alternate form" (alternate psionic powers package) for one of my players as a result of a series of critical failures after having been psionicly attacked.

Eventually, he'll be able to buy off the template (if he chooses to).
Old 09-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
Tinman

PS: I probable should have said before, the unconscious is linked to the uncontrollable, so when he regains control, he'll be able to use the powers available. I just don't want him to use it all that well yet.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
finn

Quote:
PS: I probable should have said before, the unconscious is linked to the uncontrollable, so when he regains control, he'll be able to use the powers available. I just don't want him to use it all that well yet.
So, he can use his power consciously only after (1) failing a Will roll to control the power, and (2) succeeding a Will roll to regain control?

In that case, It is less limiting than Unconscious Only + Uncontrollable, since he can use the power consciously sometimes, even if it is Unreliable when he can do so.

Give the full limitation value for Uncontrollable, but decrease the value of Unconscious Only as you see fit to something between -15% and -5%, depending on how long he gains control, and how Unreliable it is.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
So, he can use his power consciously only after (1) failing a Will roll to control the power, and (2) succeeding a Will roll to regain control?

In that case, It is less limiting than Unconscious Only + Uncontrollable, since he can use the power consciously sometimes, even if it is Unreliable when he can do so.

Give the full limitation value for Uncontrollable, but decrease the value of Unconscious Only as you see fit to something between -15% and -5%, depending on how long he gains control, and how Unreliable it is.
So it's more complicated than that. He's normally a Telepath however, high stress situations force him to make a will -4 roll to resist transforming into his alternate form a Psychokinetic. Alternate form has a 1 hr recharge so he's stuck in the AF for at least an hour.

When he first transforms or if triggered, his (new PK) powers are uncontrollable to him until he gains control, again at -4 to will.

What I'm looking for is: When he regains control (now vs 8) he'll be able to use the powers but not reliably. (I think I'll go with Fickle PU-8 p.13.)

I hope that clears up the scenario.
The big problem I have is pricing out the limitations for for the powers.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
finn

Quote:
When he first transforms or if triggered, his (new PK) powers are uncontrollable to him until he gains control, again at -4 to will.

What I'm looking for is: When he regains control (now vs 8) he'll be able to use the powers but not reliably. (I think I'll go with Fickle PU-8 p.13.)

I hope that clears up the scenario.
The big problem I have is pricing out the limitations for for the powers.
When he just got into this Alternate Form, can he use his power consciously?

When he just got into this Alternate Form, is his power already "acting up" and causing havoc?

Tags
lay on hands, limited limitations