Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Jackal

Default Beast Rules of Combat

A popular rule mod I suggested on the Brainiac listserv was for "Beast rules of combat".

To whit:
"All animals engage HTH automatically on the turn after they first hit you, unless you also hit them. You can keep them away from you as long as you keep hitting them on turns when they hit you, but you're in HTH as soon as they hit and you miss. Makes even a couple wolves terrifying! And a lion or bear? Without help, you are dead: most do extra damage in HTH."

(Elsewhere, I also fleshed out some additional rules to handle large hooved animals, horned animals, and swarms, but I'll leave it here.)

Thoughts?
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
tbeard1999

Default Re: Beast Rules of Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
A popular rule mod I suggested on the Brainiac listserv was for "Beast rules of combat".

To whit:
"All animals engage HTH automatically on the turn after they first hit you, unless you also hit them. You can keep them away from you as long as you keep hitting them on turns when they hit you, but you're in HTH as soon as they hit and you miss. Makes even a couple wolves terrifying! And a lion or bear? Without help, you are dead: most do extra damage in HTH."

(Elsewhere, I also fleshed out some additional rules to handle large hooved animals, horned animals, and swarms, but I'll leave it here.)

Thoughts?
These sound like good guidelines, but they wouldn't include summoned animals, right?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
These sound like good guidelines, but they wouldn't include summoned animals, right?
Why not? Beasts are beasts.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #4
JLV

Conceptually, I like the idea, but at the same time, part of me is saying; "why mandate this by extra rules -- let the DM play them any way he wants."

If all animals always act the same, the utility and threat of yet another encounter with "four wolves" becomes nil...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
tbeard1999

Quote:
Why not? Beasts are beasts.
Applying this to summoned animals would significantly reduce their utility, as the wizard can no longer control them. Also, Advanced Wizard sez "[Summoned beings] are completely under the control of the wizard who summons them..."
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Conceptually, I like the idea, but at the same time, part of me is saying; "why mandate this by extra rules -- let the DM play them any way he wants."

If all animals always act the same, the utility and threat of yet another encounter with "four wolves" becomes nil...
Ah, perhaps I wasn't being clear.

This assumes you're already in combat with them. Any large animal is going to try to bring you down: all such animals behave that way.

That doesn't mean, however, that all animals will attack. Or that all animals in a pack/pride/herd will attack, or that they'll attack in the same way.

Wave a flaming brand in front of the biggest lion and it will shy from you. Of course, that isn't going to help with the lioness sneaking up behind you as the lion keeps your attention. And those four wolves will start circling you, waiting for an opening to attack you from the rear -- and for the alpha wolf to charge first.

All the rule says is, once in combat, the animal will do everything to knock you off your feet - and yes, a 250 lb cougar pouncing on you or a charging elk connecting with its six foot spread of antlers is going to succeed at this unless you stab them or otherwise hold them off.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Shostak

Why is this prescription for behavior in combat necessary? It seems to me to make animals a lot less savvy and a whole lot more predictable than they really are. Different animals have different techniques. Some, like wolves, might try to hamstring prey, while others, such as pumas, leap on prey from above and go tor the neck. Constrictor snakes will go for HTH (if you can call it that), while cobras and vipers will strike from a distance.

I'd prefer no such rule.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Why is this prescription for behavior in combat necessary? It seems to me to make animals a lot less savvy and a whole lot more predictable than they really are. Different animals have different techniques. Some, like wolves, might try to hamstring prey, while others, such as pumas, leap on prey from above and go tor the neck. Constrictor snakes will go for HTH (if you can call it that), while cobras and vipers will strike from a distance.

I'd prefer no such rule.
Because there are no hamstring rules. And no go-for-the-throat rules. And no constrictor rules (other than HTH).

If you think we need a simple system to reflect body location-specific damage, or specific rules for specific animals, like "Taking 8+ damage from a wolf means the figure falls to the ground and can never walk again," then by all means write it up! What you suggest could be very cool.

But I think having a simple rule that covers the fact that ALL animals will engage prey (or any target) in HTH as defined by TFT would make for a better game.

As for HOW an animal attacks, this rule says nothing. This is *NOT* a prescription for behavior!!! Puma leaps on you from above? Great! Hope you took Alertness, buddy!

But do you really think a puma landing on you would only do 1d6 (or whatever) and leave you standing next to him, free to use your battle axe next turn?

I don't!

Last edited by Jackal; 03-13-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Constrictor snakes will go for HTH (if you can call it that)
This made my day! Because yes, it is HTH combat, but it most certainly is NOT as well!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
Shostak

Quote:
Because there are no hamstring rules. And no go-for-the-throat rules. And no constrictor rules (other than HTH).

If you think we need a simple system to reflect body location-specific damage, or specific rules for specific animals, like "Taking 8+ damage from a wolf means the figure falls to the ground and can never walk again," then by all means write it up! What you suggest could be very cool.

But I think having a simple rule that covers the fact that ALL animals will engage prey (or any target) in HTH as defined by TFT would make for a better game.

As for HOW an animal attacks, this rule says nothing. This is *NOT* a prescription for behavior!!! Puma leaps on you from above? Great! Hope you took Alertness, buddy!

But do you really think a puma landing on you would only do 1d6 (or whatever) and leave you standing next to him, free to use your battle axe next turn?

I don't!
If you want beasties to go into HTH, feel free. I just don't like the idea of putting in a rule that requires it.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beast rules