Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Armored... Shoes?

While designing a loadout list for a post-apocalyptic scout, I was doing my best to keep costs low by avoiding "cool but expensive" gear. For instance, the Assault Boots are tough as medieval plate at TL9, but prohibitively expensive to a wastelander. Even if they were looted/stolen, having them as standard-issue would require a ton of scrounging that would equal or pass their listed price.

So I was looking at cheaper, lighter, but still somewhat protective materials. For instance, the Reflex suit. At $1,200 it's very expensive, but its remarkable lightness and low bulk got me thinking--if there can be Reflex gloves, why not Reflex socks? It was an amusing idea, but had some speedbumps.

At the end of the day, armored socks wouldn't protect from the wear and tear on ordinary shoes, and would be a bit silly if they outlasted the boots they hide in--so I took a step back.

My idea? Using the Tailoring Armor rules and crafting Reflex "shoes" using the coverage for "feet only". This gave me this nifty little item!

Reflex Shoes
Cost: $80
Weight: 1.6 lbs[1]
DR: 8/3*

[1] I added an additional pound to represent a thickened footpad with a basic +1 Hiking bonus. Not as nice as Assault Boots, but very popular among frugal scouts. :)
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Armored... Shoes?

Shoes have fairly specialized wear pattern; a smart material like reflex armor would likely not do well on the soles of the feet, though it might be okay further up (and could likely be programmed for things like ankle protection).
Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Shoes have fairly specialized wear pattern; a smart material like reflex armor would likely not do well on the soles of the feet, though it might be okay further up (and could likely be programmed for things like ankle protection).
That would be a major skill improvement for distance running if you have anything but perfect form, like over/under pronation, etc.

Smart fabrics may help relieve impact stress adjusting for walking, hiking with baggage, and running.
But for just armor, it's hard to be rigid inserts like steel toes.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would be a major skill improvement for distance running if you have anything but perfect form, like over/under pronation, etc.
Checking, it looks like 4th edition UT considers reflex armor to be ballistic fiber impregnated with shear-thickening fluids, which means things like D3O are a precursor. D3O is already used in running shoes (for impact absorption in the insole, apparently), though running shoes are generally not expected to last for all that long. I suspect the major problem would be durability, while steel is both durable and armor, many materials are only one or the other.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:58 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Checking, it looks like 4th edition UT considers reflex armor to be ballistic fiber impregnated with shear-thickening fluids, which means things like D3O are a precursor. D3O is already used in running shoes (for impact absorption in the insole, apparently), though running shoes are generally not expected to last for all that long. I suspect the major problem would be durability, while steel is both durable and armor, many materials are only one or the other.
How long is 'not that long'? I seem to recall running shoes lasting for a couple years back in my more sporty age. I suspect TL9+ ones should last even longer.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How long is 'not that long'?
Depends on how much you use them. For daily use, maybe six months. And the trend is towards lighter and better padded, not more durable.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-26-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Depends on how much you use them. For daily use, maybe six months. And the trend is towards lighter and better padded, not more durable.
Five trainings per week. Which is of course not the same as low-intensity use for 8-16 hours daily, but still.

Now, the more general-purpose sports shoes (as opposed running shoes) I have also worn daily throughout the warm half of the year, and for parts of training time, and they seemed to last for a couple half-year periods too. Sure, they get old, but not rapidly.

Regarding the trend, there's of course the issue of tradeoffs. High-performance shoes are likely to be Fine or Very Fine (skill bonus) and Cheap (maintenance), just like many modern jet fighters tend to be Very Cheap in terms of maintenance by GURPS Spaceships benchmarks. Outdoor/soldier shoes are likely to be built to last or at least not to fail too suddenly, since unlike fighter jets they can't afford to have a huge 'logistic tail'.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:50 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
How long is 'not that long'? I seem to recall running shoes lasting for a couple years back in my more sporty age. I suspect TL9+ ones should last even longer.
You assume that what can be done will be done. Right now, it's possible to make products that last years but aren't. We live in a "disposable society", and hypothetical UT cultures could be similar regardless of technology.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:46 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You assume that what can be done will be done. Right now, it's possible to make products that last years but aren't. We live in a "disposable society", and hypothetical UT cultures could be similar regardless of technology.
Could. Or not.

UT is meant to be a catalogue that provides many options for different settings. The problem or 'problem' with HT is that it is one very specific and narrow vision of TL5-TL8, and any extrapolations from that will be just as narrow.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Five trainings per week. Which is of course not the same as low-intensity use for 8-16 hours daily, but still.
What happens as you wear worn shoes is that you increase your risk of injury, not that the shoes are not wearable as shoes.

I hurt myself badly a few years ago (months of recovery before I could run) because I didn't change shoes soon enough and then compounded it by switching to a kind of running shoe that was bad for me personally.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, armor design, reflex, shoes, ultratech