Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Regen & healing limited by blood loss

I'm working on a house rule that is reasonable that penalizes healing based on recent blood loss (as per the bleeding rules), to represent lost platelets and red blood cells. This would normally not come up in play; more of a fringe case.

But super-fast healers, especially vampires and the like, are often noticeably regenerating more slowly once they've lost a lot of blood.

Might anyone suggest any reasonable reductions in regeneration rate based on loss of blood volume in such cases?

The idea is that if the vampiric character has lost enough blood, their normally Very Fast Regeneration will be slower, possibly even as slow as a regular human's natural healing.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Nosforontu

Default Re: Regen & healing limited by blood loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I'm working on a house rule that is reasonable that penalizes healing based on recent blood loss (as per the bleeding rules), to represent lost platelets and red blood cells. This would normally not come up in play; more of a fringe case.

But super-fast healers, especially vampires and the like, are often noticeably regenerating more slowly once they've lost a lot of blood.

Might anyone suggest any reasonable reductions in regeneration rate based on loss of blood volume in such cases?

The idea is that if the vampiric character has lost enough blood, their normally Very Fast Regeneration will be slower, possibly even as slow as a regular human's natural healing.
Regen with costs Energy Reserve, & vampires may purchase Energy Reserve equal to their FP score. Modify their Leech to either only heal their ER, or at the very least heals FP and HPs.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
vierasmarius

You could put an Accessibility on some levels of Regen, so that it slows down when the character has lost, say, 1xHP due to Bleeding (which may include the extra damage inflicted by cutting attacks to the arteries). Or simply limit the highest level of Regen so it can't restore HP lost to that source, similar to how some versions of Trolls can't repair damage caused by fire or acid. For example if you feel that not healing damage caused by blood loss is worth -20%, the character would have Regen Fast [50] + Upgrade to Regen Very Fast (Not blood loss, -20%) [40].

Actually, you might combine the two. The character's Regen would slow down if he'd taken a lot of damage from blood loss (an Accessibility on the highest levels of the advantage) and wouldn't be able to repair such damage at all (a limitation on the entire Regen advantage). The value of these limitations should drop if the character has other means (ie Vampiric Bite) to quickly replenish lost blood.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
JCurwen3

And for normal humans...

Are there any statistics for the effects on the rate at which wounds (1) clot and (2) heal after losing blood? It takes a bit of time for platelets to regenerate, and can take up to 6 weeks for red blood cells to be fully restored, after all.

So if I donate a pint of blood, then, for some crazy reason, bleed myself out a whole other pint, what can I expect as far as healing, if I later get punched in the face or shot in the leg? I assume that my prospects of healing will be worse overall, and also that the time it takes for total recovery, if ever, will be decreased, realistically, until my blood is fully restored (either naturally or via transfusion).

Tags
bleeding, blood, healing, regeneration