Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2015, 04:05 AM   #1
c0matose

Default Help with my first spacecraft

Hey guys. My friend suggested that we played some Star Wars GURPS at some point and so I looked at GURPS spacecraft for a bit and made this ship:

SM+6
ARMOUR: Advanced Metallic Laminate: 7/5 200K
Cargo Hold (5 tons) Neg.
Control Room (complexity 5, Comms TL 6, Control Stations 2 200K
Engine Room 30K
Space Sails 1M
Major Battery – Beam Output 30Megajoules Laser 600k
1 million, 130 thousand

The backstory is that it's a converted trading ship from a system with a very large sun, so solar sails are the best option for transport. I would very much appreciate if anyone could point out if i've forgotten to put in anything vital.
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Help with my first spacecraft

Normally you would want a habitat for crew and the laser is a high energy system so you need power, maybe use solar panel array then to keep with the solar theme?

So you would have as modules:
3 armor
1 control
1 engine room
1 space sail
1 major battery
1 solar panel

Leaving a total of 12 modules for cargo and habitats. (and maybe some more space sails to get more acceleration)
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
scc

OK, I suggest you start looking at the sample ships again. Each ship consists of 3 hull sections each having 6 systems numbered 1-6 plus two addational core system split between the 3 hull sections, that's a total of 20 systems, you need this many and I'm not seeing that.

You only use one of the armor values, depending upon weather or not your ship is streamlined, so does it look sleek?

Solar Sails are a waste of time in this case, they shouldn't produce extra thrust because the sun is big, at least not at any range a habitable planet is from such a sun
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Solar sails only give good thrust close to any star no matter how big.
I also prefer mag-sails getting thrust from charged ions emitted by the star. They automatically adjust their size to maintain thrust a bit further out. They require superconducting loops and initial charge up, but otherwise act like classic solar sails.

This is all from memory, so may be off. I hope by only a bit and not completely incoherent.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

By mentioning Star Wars, I think you need to be clear about what super science technologies you want/allow. You can have only one or two and not need to go hog wild kitchen sink mess that many games fall into.

Tags
spaceships, star wars