Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #151
Johnny Angel

Default Re: fantasy races

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Several forumites did work on new races/species for the now defunct (anybody else with time to revive it, feel free) Vote up a Fantasy Setting.
I created a few things for that. In particular, I was rather fond of my Geppetto race.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #152
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
I created a few things for that. In particular, I was rather fond of my Geppetto race.
I liked that one, too.

:)

The setting never gelled (in retrospect 'fantasy' was too broad a category-- I ought to have narrowed it down a bit from the start) but some cool races flowed out of the brains of the various contributors.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #153
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Several forumitForrk on new races/species for the now defunct (anybody else with time to revive it, feel free) Vote up a Fantasy Setting.
good thread that one. If course, I still have to finish it's Fore bearer ....

Gems from that thread include:
Dragons more akin to beasts
Elves that feel like spirits
Shadow men
Stone fellows: individual transformation from human to the 'slow though race archetype'

And so much more. One of favorite threads ever.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #154
Johnny Angel

I'll see if I can search for the things I created for that project and post them here.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #155
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
good thread that one. If course, I still have to finish it's Fore bearer ....

Gems from that thread include:
Dragons more akin to beasts
Elves that feel like spirits
Shadow men
Stone fellows: individual transformation from human to the 'slow though race archetype'

And so much more. One of favorite threads ever.
Yeah, I think it's definitely worth a look to anyone wanting fantasy race ideas.

The setting never got much development, but lots of fun races were created and described.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #156
Johnny Angel

Geppetto [15]

Spirits obsessed with being part of the mortal world and being able to experience it, Geppettos found a way to craft bodies which they then bind themselves to. The most common material for these bodies is a type of wood which grows near their place of origin; there is some manner of innate connection to the material which allows them to easily inhabit it. The process of creating a body and helping one of their kind binding themselves to it is an elaborate ritual and is viewed as a special occasion.

While they do not need to eat or drink, their bodies do require maintenance. Once per week, a Geppettos will take time to make minor repairs to its body. This usually involves making sure bugs haven't infested the wood, oiling joints and hinges, and other such things.

Likewise, while they do not necessarily sleep in the same way most creatures do, they do require a period of inactivity in which they refresh the connection with their inhabited bodies. Once per year, they also need to visit the Soul Cauldron to engage in a ritual which refreshes this connection. During the yearly visit, Geppettos also exchange stories about what they have learned about the world, their experiences, and any newly learned methods for overcoming the limitations they have in their ability to perceive the material world.

In the event that a Geppetto 'dies,' its spirit returns to the Spirit Cauldron until such time it is called upon to inhabit a new body. In essense, it loses the experiences it had while 'alive,' and will arise as a completely new member of the race with no memory of who it was before or what it had experienced. Though there are rare cases in which some residual memory may be retained. Because of this loss, 'death' is something which is just as undesirable for Geppettos as it would be for any other race.

Attribute Modifiers

Secondary Characteristics
Basic Speed -1 [-20]

Advantages
Ambidexterity [5]
Blunt Claws [3]
Detect Spirits (vague) [5]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]
DR 2 (Semi-Ablative, -20%) [8]
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Intuitive Repairman (own body) [1]
Injury Tolerance (Unliving) [20]
Lifting ST +5 [15]
Patience of Job [1]
Unaging [15]
Unkillable 1 [50]

Disadvantages
Chummy [-5]
Dependency (The Soul Cauldron) (Rare; Yearly, 1/10; Aging +30%) [-13]
Disturbing Voice [-10]
Fragile (Combustible) [-5]
Low Empathy [-20]
No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]
Numb [-20]
Obsession (experience the world; find ways to enhance perception of it)[-10]
Requires Maintenance (1 person; weekly) [-5]
Unhealing (total) [-30]
Xenophilia (15) [-5]

There was also a brief, but more in depth discussion of them here in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...light=geppetto

It should further be noted that this template is intended to represent a member of this race which is fresh from the Cauldron. An 'older' or more experience Geppetto may have bought off some of the mental disadvantages, acquired different disadvantages, or perhaps even gained some advantages via upgrading their bodies.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #157
Johnny Angel

Here is a link to the Vote Up a Fantasy Setting thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...light=geppetto

I had also created these guys for the same project...

Dragonforged [18]
a.k.a. Xwurkadarastrix

“We are born of two parts, and our existence brings forth two questions. The question we ask our spirit is 'Who am I?' The question we ask the world is 'What am I to do with my life?' When you are old, withered, and gone, you will be remembered by how you chose to answer those questions.”
-Naosthyr, Dragonforged Mystic

Background
The spirit and ferocity of a dragon barely contained within a humanoid form; in a previous age, Dragonforged were a race created by the dragon Malzvirdask. While they could technically be considered her children, she was hardly the most loving of mothers, and their position was mainly one of soldier and servant. Individuals might earn some amount of free will, but the majority of the race was meant to serve Malzvirdask's will. A human mother might discipline her children with a swat on the bottom; Malzvirdask might well roast you alive and have your carcass for an appetizer.

Using foul magics, unspeakable lore, and an archaic sort of genetic engineering, she found a way to corrupt the embryos of various humanoid mothers with her essence. Discarding the undesirable specimens and moving forward into further generations, she eventually had shock troops and servants with which to wage of a war of tyranny and greed against the rest of the world; seeing herself as the rightful heiress to the mantle of god in a world where such beings no longer acted directly. The same magic she used to create the Dragonforged was also used to create a magic orb which she then bound their minds to. Through the orb, she had complete dominance over her creation.

Against odds, the world managed to throw off the growing yoke of Malzvirdask's influence. Part of the victory against her involved shattering her prized orb and throwing her servants into disarray. Today, Dragonforged still exist, and have evolved into a race which breeds true. Suffering from both a social stigma based upon their past and uncertainty about what a future free of guiding purpose will bring, they seek to find their way in the world. Introspection about their true nature and place in the world has lead to a culture of philosophy and spiritual exploration even as their natural gifts often lead them to serve as hired muscle.

Physical Description
Dragonforged are pretty much what you'd expect a humanoid dragon to look like. They have large pointy teeth inside of a draconic head, sharp claws, tails, and scales. Most also have the capability to exhale fire. Standing a head taller than most humans, this makes for a fearsome figure.

Dragonforged scales usually range from a sandy yellow to a gator green, but many other reptilian colors are possible. Gold, black, and red tints, patterns, or flecks among the scales are also common. Many Dragonforged seek meaning among the exact coloration and pattern of their scales as well as that of the egg they hatched from. Unusual colors or patterns may be viewed as an omen among some tribes or family units.

The sexual dimorphism of the race differs greatly from that of humans and other mammalian humanoids. Males often have vestigle horns, horns, bone formations, boney head frills, skull spikes, skull nubs or other such formations on their heads, and males also tend toward thicker and more rugged scales. Females do not have breasts, but are instead often marked by soft head frills of various patterns; they also tend toward smaller scales which are smoother.

Dragonforged are 4 inches taller than a human of the same ST and weigh 25 lbs. more.

Attribute Modifiers
ST+2 (size -10%) [18]
HT+1 [10]

Secondary Characteristics
SM+1

Advantages
Burning Attack 1d (Jet, +0%; Reduced Range 2, -10%; 2FP cost, -10%; Requires 5 seconds to recharge, -10%) [3]
Claws (Sharp) [5]
Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]
Nictitating Membrane 2 [2];
Peripheral Vision [15]
Striker (Tail; Crushing; Clumsy, -2 to hit, -40%)[3]
Teeth (Sharp) [1].

Disadvantages
Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]
Increased Consumption 1 [-10]
Disciplines of Faith (Mysticism) [-10]
Greed (15) [-7]

Features: Born Biter. Head armor isn’t interchangeable with
human head armor. Armor isn’t interchangeable with human armor. Hatch from eggs. Scales.

This is the base template. The draconic ancestry of the race does not always manifest the same way in each specimen. At the GM's discretion, a Dragonforged PC may choose to have different natural gifts than a Burning Attack.

Other common traits for males are head horns (which can be used as a limited arc impaling, piercing, or crushing striker -depending upon the size and shape), thicker skull DR, and/or a heavier (more damaging) tail striker.

Other common traits for females are Breath-Holding, Flight with the winged and controlled gliding limitations, and/or lighter tails which are less damaging, but more accurate.

Other common traits for either gender are Fire College aspected Magery, more strength, thicker scales (more DR), a modified breath weapon, and/or an acute physical sense.

None of this is meant to suggest any of these traits is strictly the realm of one gender or the other, but is meant to detail which traits are commonly found among the two genders. In any event, if you wish to substitute any of these traits for part of the racial template or if you wish to gain them (perhaps through spending time meditating and releasing more of your inner dragon,) you should speak with your GM.

The 2 FP cost for the breath weapon and recharge is perhaps a tad expensive, but for the fantasy setting project, I was trying to keep the cost of my templates down. I also wanted there to be reason behind why these guys would use mundane weapons and tactics rather than simply using their innate attack all the time. I think it also gives some room for a player/character to explore the idea of honing and improving their innate attack (subject to the approval of the GM.) For what it's worth, in my own games at home, I've largely adopted the house rule that Rev Pee Kitty has which makes "Costs FP" worth more as a limitation, but I used the default RAW costs for the project.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #158
jason taylor

What about Poul Anderson's Yrthians as a model? Eagle-like pack hunters that live in a tribalistic society in a symbiosis with the citified human colonists. That is a Sci-Fi race but it would do well as a fantasy race as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #159
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

I group the native races of my personal fantasy setting into four groups, provide some examples within those groups, and then encourage others to be creative with the components.

- Mundanes (humans, duergar, giants, halflings/pygmies, centaurs, and furries) have either the most free points to spend or the best general Health/Fitness stats; aside from adventuring traits, they are the most versatile breeders (compatible with all three other groups while the others are otherwise only compatible within their own racial family).

- Fairies (elves, pixies, gnomes, genies, unicorns, and certain youkai) are the most naturally magical, but also tend to be the most physically frail (low HT or low ST whether absolutely or just for their size).

- Dragons (lizardmen, kobolds, drakes, and ryu/long) have the best strengths and natural weapons/defenses, but also are more likely than the above two groups to have major morpholocial shortcomings like a lack of arms. Also, the setting's version of Jesus is totally a dragon.

- Goblins (hobgoblins, ogres, trolls, gargoyles, and imps) are shoddy knockoffs and likely to be forced to pay points for the "advantage" of Magic Resistance. They still have free will and can choose on an individual basis decide not to be evil, but most are knowing and willing participants in evil organizations nonetheless.

Someday I'm gonna put together a list of allowed advantages advantage and disadvantage pools for these four groups. Also the racial templates aren't supposed to include cultural stuff - that's a separate thing.

Tags
brainstorm, fantasy, ideas to share, random thought table