Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Kuu

Default Large Size and Magic

Hello, this is Kuu.

What effects does the size of a creature have on spell FP cost?

Suppose a SM+4 dragon with HP 55 and Magery 3 decides to cast Fireball. A human would deal up to 9d6 burn by expending 9 FP. How many dice of damage would the dragon be able to deal, and how much FP would it use?

I'm stuck between 9d6/9 FP, 45d6/9 FP, and 45d6/45 FP, leaning towards 45 dice and 45 FP due to dragons probably using larger Power Stones.

Which one should I go by?

One thing I noticed, however: if a dragon uses a larger Power Stone, it's FP is still in the 10s, due to FP not scaling with size. This means that larger creatures are increasingly reliant on FP-granting items.

If I go with the 45d6/45 FP, how should I fix the above problem?
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: Large Size and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuu View Post
Hello, this is Kuu.

Aside from the standard modifier for Regular spells cast on SM 1+ creatures, none.

Someone with Magery 3 is capped at 9d missile spells because they have Magery 3. To increase this, either increase Magery or use one of the perks from Thaumatology: Magical Styles.

As to being able to spend the energy, any Mage worth his salt will increase their FP above base value and they will buy Energy Reserve (Magical) if it is available in addition to getting a power stone. They're also not likely to spend all their energy in one spell that may simply miss.

As to the dragon, note that the average for 9d is 31, max 54. Anyone who can cast missile spells that powerful is a threat to the dragon. 45d is overkill, and not quite fitting to common TL3 fantasy genres. As a spell casting dragon, it probably also has enough IQ that you're at least getting a the cost reduction for skill 15, if not skill 20.

Still, if your setting calls for draconic overkill (and be able to call a 15d fireball in a single turn) firstly give the dragon a large ER(Magical) as well as a good FP score (probably from a HT of 14-15). Ensure it can cast the spell at a skill of at least 20. The net effect of those is that the dragon should have about 30 to 40 energy available which means you shouldn't need a massive power stone. You will however need to work out what you're doing once you've spent all that energy on one massive fireball and have fatigued yourself from the FP expenditure. Its going to take a few hours to get all that fatigue back...
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Anaraxes

You could always give the dragon Regeneration on its ER.

I'd probably build the dragon breath as an IA. (If nothing else, it would be a reason for the dragon to scorn puny human magic.)

If spell power did scale with size, it would be a reason for those AD&D ogre magi to exist. Beware of giving this advantage to any player that takes Gigantism (for 0 points). But better yet, I'd drop the notion that it is size alone that makes the dragon magically powerful. If it's magically powerful, make it magically powerful. And if it's big, make it big. But the two aren't linked.

Judge me by my size, do you?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuu View Post
The size of the caster has, by the RAW, no influence on effect or cost of a spell. Traditionally, giants aren't superior wizards, nor are smaller faeries bad at magic.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Ts_

So, magic in GURPS is useless for large creatures interacting with large creatures?

Since magic is powered by FP which is based on HT which doesn't have anything to do with size, the FP cost will be a lot larger:
* Direct spells due to the SM-based factor,
* damage spells because HP tends to scale a bit with size,
* "Create some useful barrier" (and other physical utility) spells because you need more raw material for larger barriers.

Also, even if you have enough resources to power your spells, your recovery is still a lot slower, relatively speaking. Finally, range modifiers might scale with the SM, giving larger penalties to all targeted spells.

Weird. But maybe magic is just one of those universal constants that favor certain sizes, just like the square/cube-law sets limits for giants.
Ts

PS: By the way, do enchantment costs scale with the size of the object? Does Alchemy create one-drink-fits-all potions?
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
zorg
Experimental Subject

A dragon might favor certain spells where its size doesn't matter much (Self-Buffing, De-Buffs on puny mortals), or use a different magic system entirely (Powers, Realms, what have you).
Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Ts_

Self-Buffing? Those are usually regular spells, affected by SM, I would think.

Ts
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

Invisibility?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Invisibility?
... is a regular spell.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Refplace

A dragon wont get as much out of magic as a human but thats because he paid for other powerful abilities.
A dragon would tend to use the abilities it came with for combat and the magic for noncombat like scrying, trickery, defense more then direct attack.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote