Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #31
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

The AI fail, however, is not talking about the basic Ogre scenarios. The fail is playing something like the Campaign scenario with the train and wasting time to shoot at tanks when if you fired at the rail or the train instead, you would win the game.

The AI has a real problem understanding the overall goals when it's something other than "kill the CP." It's one thing to take out all the defending units because you know your real goal is destroy something and exit; it's something completely different when the game *ends* as soon as the objective is hit.

So far, the AI has not shown to know the difference and in many cases blindly does things that not only have no bearing on the outcome, but flat out allow the other side to win because it was a complete waste of resources instead of finishing the job.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 AM   #32
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
This is now in-game. Check it out in Skirmish Mode, you can 'ram'/'overrun' three squads of infantry in a row :)
Can a Mark4 or Ninja 'ram'/'overrun' four squads of infantry in a row if it has a move of 4 to do so? Or is three the maximum/cap regardless? I may have been seeing things, but I thought I crushed four squads with that Mark4 I mentioned earlier...

I have to say, crushing those four squads just felt right for the Mark4 to be able to possibly do.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Can a Mark4 or Ninja 'ram'/'overrun' four squads of infantry in a row if it has a move of 4 to do so? Or is three the maximum/cap regardless? I may have been seeing things, but I thought I crushed four squads with that Mark4 I mentioned earlier...

I have to say, crushing those four squads just felt right for the Mark4 to be able to possibly do.
The rule is that you can spend a MP to reduce infantry as long you have APs.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:31 AM   #34
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
When reporting crashes/freezes, I have been sending the log while the game is frozen. Is there any advantage to closing the game before sending the log?
There is, the log doesn't always fully update until the game is closed. A lot of the time there are errors earlier in the log which do indicate where it has gone wrong, but it's best practice to close the game so that everything is included.

I'll make this a little clearer in the bug reporting thread.

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The rule is that you can spend a MP to reduce infantry as long you have APs.
Thanks.

Will the rule for Ogre on STEAM about infantry being able to be reduced as many times as the ramming Ogre has movement ever be considered and implemented for official use in the tabletop rules (as an option, or actual permanent change) or will it be exclusive to the PC game?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #36
Mack_JB

Ogres reducing INF by one unit per movement point is already in the tabletop rules. It's just not completely clear in the wording about "Ramming", but it's how I always played it.

SJ himself clarified it earlier in the thread.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Will the rule for Ogre on STEAM about infantry being able to be reduced as many times as the ramming Ogre has movement ever be considered and implemented for official use in the tabletop rules (as an option, or actual permanent change) or will it be exclusive to the PC game?
That would appear to be up to you, the game police can't make you play it correctly at home. This is, and has always been, the way the rules are supposed to work.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #38
Keith E Carter

Quote:
Thanks.

The rule for Ogre on STEAM about infantry being able to be reduced as many times as the Ogre has movement is and has been the rule in the tabletop version. It is only recently that the computer game made this change after checking with SJG and stopped counting the infantry reduction towards the ram limit of two. They computer game still calls it a ram but now treats it as a reduction per the tabletop rules.

6.06 Reducing infantry. An Ogre does not literally “ram”
infantry, but any Ogre with AP weapons (or a Superheavy Tank)
may move into an infantry hex as though the infantry were not
there. If the Ogre/SHVY has any antipersonnel weapons left, the
infantry unit is automatically reduced by one squad. This does not
count as an “attack” for the AP weapons. An Ogre/SHVY in a hex
with infantry may expend a movement point, stay in the same hex,
and reduce the infantry again. When all its AP weapons are gone, an
Ogre/SHVY can no longer reduce infantry in this way.

This reducing of infantry is not limited to two (like rams) because infantry may not be rammed.

6.07 Ramming by other units. Usually a tactic of desperation!
Note that infantry can never ram or be rammed.

The limit on infantry reduction is not having AP.
Keith E Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #39
Tim Kauffman

Would the text suggestion in Bold be a good addition for clarity?

6.06 Reducing infantry. An Ogre does not literally “ram” infantry,
but any Ogre with AP weapons (or a Superheavy Tank) may move into an infantry hex as though the infantry were not there.
If the Ogre/SHVY has any antipersonnel weapons left, the infantry unit is automatically reduced by one squad.
This does not count as an “attack” for the AP weapons.
An Ogre/SHVY in a hex with infantry may expend a movement point, stay in the same hex, and reduce the infantry again.
When all its AP weapons are gone, or all it's movement has been used, an Ogre/SHVY can no longer reduce infantry in this way.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #40
Dave Crowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The AI fail, however, is not talking about the basic Ogre scenarios. The fail is playing something like the Campaign scenario with the train and wasting time to shoot at tanks when if you fired at the rail or the train instead, you would win the game.

The AI has a real problem understanding the overall goals when it's something other than "kill the CP." It's one thing to take out all the defending units because you know your real goal is destroy something and exit; it's something completely different when the game *ends* as soon as the objective is hit.

So far, the AI has not shown to know the difference and in many cases blindly does things that not only have no bearing on the outcome, but flat out allow the other side to win because it was a complete waste of resources instead of finishing the job.
My comment on this was born from one of the Nightfall scenarios in which the AI
seemed to "forget" that it needed to prevent me from fulfilling my victory conditions. It allowed me to slip past it and attack objectives while it sent its units against my slower but harder hitting units in my rear. I would have expected a human to go after my units that were directly attacking the objective buldings instead.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote