Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Silvermane

Default Re: Anti-Mage Character

This Anti-mage?

Also, I haven't seen Damage Resistance (Absorption) suggested yet. I'm not sure what your limits are on Advantages like that.
Silvermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
otghand

How about a high powered rifle with a good scope and the sniper options from Gun-Fu? Go for the head shots. Have good pistol skills as a back up, infinite ammo if the GM allows, off screen reload otherwise. Add in a ton of stealth, maybe some invisibility power including invisible to magical detection.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Figleaf23
Banned

More mundanely: supreme stealth, rope dart and lasso with targeted attacks mouth and neck, and poison (especially dusts and gasses). Also, distractions, like throw a wasp nest at him or a swarm of rats.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
starslayer

Obscure (anti-magic, only works on mages, defencive, stealthy), might be an interesting option; your character is literally a scar on the innate way a mage sees the world and as such mages find it VERY difficult to do much of anything correctly in his presence.

The big pluses that would come from this is the penalty to the mages defences that they would encounter (most mages don't have great defences), and the reduction in their ability to aim at you.

Couple this with max level manna damper and you should be a serious threat to any magic user while being largely immune to the effects of magic (you might want to have switchable on your manna damper if you need to be healed by magic).

If you are worreied about enemies who have manna enchancer, take more manna damper. Nothing says you can't lower the local manna level by ten levels, which would mean that a mage would have to have 9 levels of manna enhancer just to be able to cast as if they were in a low manna zone.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
mlangsdorf

See Invisible (Magical) with True Sight (Powers p73) makes you completely immune to magical illusions, camouflages, disguises, and other deceptions for 23 points. It's not the end-all and be-all of magical protection, but it does help against entire categories of spells that normally can't be resisted.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Desthro

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Obscure (anti-magic, only works on mages, defencive, stealthy), might be an interesting option; your character is literally a scar on the innate way a mage sees the world and as such mages find it VERY difficult to do much of anything correctly in his presence.
Wouldn't that just make him un-observable magically, or more difficult to see with the magic sight that magery provides?
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
I am playing a high power campaigning that focuses on magi, and i wanted to create a PC without magery to counter said magi, I wanted suggestions of how to be competitive and to know which of the many gurps supplements explores the theme.

At the current level we are at 400-ish points + 50 of disadvantage; maximum innate attack damage of 5d + 5 enhancements and pretty most advantages are open, provided you are from the right school of magic, which i am of none since i am not a magi. I do posses, however, magic resistance and have assess to magic items
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
Mages are all over the place and i will have to make my way through their capital. Also, GM will forbid static and mana dumper would not work against my main foe but would hinder the magic items i would use to face him.
Could we get more explanation?

You've given us a decent start, but GURPS is the Generic Universal Role-Playing System, and without knowing what is being used there are so many possible directions, multiple of which have been stated. Here are some examples:

1) Is there anything different from the GURPS default magic system?
2) What are you allowed and what are you not allowed?
3) Why won't Mana Dampener help against your main foe?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 01:56 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
Presumably, every player bought into this campaign focusing on magi, including yourself - so why not play a magi?
Specifically if the GM is allowing it, what about Meta Spells? Making and Breaking (besides already being useful) would also seem "anti-mage" if many mages rely on Items.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Harald B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
More mundanely: supreme stealth, rope dart and lasso with targeted attacks mouth and neck, and poison (especially dusts and gasses). Also, distractions, like throw a wasp nest at him or a swarm of rats.
I'll add to this that a key element to the mundane approach is grappling. Mages who are being grappled cannot take a Concentrate maneuver (see B371), ergo cannot cast spells (even spells that do not require gestures or speech still require a Concentrate). In a one-on-one situation, grappling a mage can stop the fight before it gets started.
More advanced mages have an option to prepare against this, however. They can use a Delay to postpone a spell cast on themselves until a particular trigger (could be speaking some word, could even be being grappled), which won't require a concentrate when the spell is triggered. And Delay may not be common among mages in general, but likely will be among those of your power level since the prerequisites are near-trivial for them. Take care.
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character building, magic