Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Dalillama

Default Costs thresh

In a Threshold magic setting, would a Magical advantage that added to the user's tally get the same discount as Costs Fatigue? (I assume that this is covered in Thaumatology, but I don't have a copy, I'm using the old Umana article)
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Costs thresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
In a Threshold magic setting, would a Magical advantage that added to the user's tally get the same discount as Costs Fatigue? (I assume that this is covered in Thaumatology, but I don't have a copy, I'm using the old Umana article)
Yes. If what you're doing is emulating casting a typical spell, it's safe to directly parallel "Costs Fatigue" with "Costs Tally".

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes. If what you're doing is emulating casting a typical spell, it's safe to directly parallel "Costs Fatigue" with "Costs Tally".
However... Different settings can have very different thresholds. Would it be a better parallel to say Costs 10% of Threshold? Purely curious and maybe trying to add another idea/side to this. I don't know threshold magic stuff very well, but I am curious.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I'm aiming for a mixed Powers and spells setup, where any powers with the Magical source will use Tally instead of Fatigue. I haven't decided yet whether there will be any other sources, although I may allow Chi and/or Spirit.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
However... Different settings can have very different thresholds. Would it be a better parallel to say Costs 10% of Threshold? Purely curious and maybe trying to add another idea/side to this. I don't know threshold magic stuff very well, but I am curious.
It wouldn't be a better parallel. Costs fatigue doesn't take into account the size of the fatigue pool in question.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
That might be a good idea. The principle of equating Costs Threshold with Costs FP is good, but using a 1:1 ratio could be wrong in some worlds. Perhaps in some cases very wrong.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It wouldn't be a better parallel. Costs fatigue doesn't take into account the size of the fatigue pool in question.
Costs FP is based on the assumption that everybody has around 10 FP. The plus/minus variation is large, but not super-large.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If it's a fixed percentage of Threshold then it makes buying Increased Threshold self defeating.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
The Benj

But a percentage of standard Threshold could work.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
PK

Quote:
If the GM is adjusting the default Thresh level by fiat to encourage or discourage magic, then yes, it'd be more fair to adjust the limitation as well. However, it shouldn't be "1 FP = 10% of Thresh." That's not a fair comparison. Your Thresh pool is supposed to be much larger than your FP pool, because it also regenerates so much more slowly.

Instead, just look at the degree by which the GM has adjusted campaign default Thresh, and apply the same assumption to the Costs Tally limitation. The easiest way to do that is to declare that the Costs Tally limitation has a value equal to -150/(new default Thresh)% per level. Round normally.

For example, if the GM decides to just arbitrarily bump campaign Thresh to 50 (instead of 30), then Costs Tally is worth -(150/50)% or -3% per level. So if using your Flight accrues 2 Tally per minute, it's a net -6% limitation. It's worth less because the GM gives everyone in the campaign world extra Thresh for free, so it's less of a problem.

Conversely, if the GM is a jerk who only gives you a default Thresh 10, then Costs Tally becomes -15% per tally. It's a good limitation, but you'll run into problems quickly . . . because so does every other magician.

Obviously, all of this (A) only makes sense if Tally is your only option and (B) may be too complex for most people. If campaign default Thresh is somewhere between 25 and 35, I wouldn't bother making a distinction.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, powers, thaumatology