Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
zoncxs

Default New GM running New game. Advise?

Ello! I am setting up a new game that I would have liked to play in, but oh wells.

It is a Dark Fantasy game, think DF plus monster hunter! I am using Divine Favor and RPM for the supernatural aspect. I am thinking of doing 200/-60, or even 150/-60. the problem being if a player wants to do divine favor or magic they need to take a 20pt UB called "knowledge of the Lost". I am also requiring them to pick a job that they would have had before doing this job (monster hunting), I am using Low Tech for items and armor and weapons so the jobs in companion 3 helps with picking.

any advise you can give me on running this type of game? questions to enlighten me with?

Link to my site: http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52143&date=1342914013

Last edited by zoncxs; 07-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Witchking

Default Re: New GM running New game. Advise?

In the 60 points for disadvantages...

I would (if GMing) recommend that players take no more than 40-45 points of "disadvantages"...the other 15-20 points they can use for things like playing with stats (ie IQ 14 selling back 2 levels of Perception + Will [IQ 14 Per 12 Will 12] gets the character 20 points back Or Selling back the .75; .50; .25 parts of Base Speed that do not add to Move...but per RAW GURPS those negative points count against the DisAd limit ).

A full 60 points of Disadvantages can either be crippling for a character (ie Blind is 50 points), lead to one characters Disads dominating the run (Bills MegaEnemy [The Mafia 12-] is something the WHOLE Party will end up paying for), or perhaps a build that does not play well with others (Paranoia 6- 20 pts; Bad Temper 6- 20 pts; Berserk 6- 20 pts).

Or people might have disads on the sheets that are not really being role played.

But as a player and GM I find 1 or 2 major (10-15 pt) Disads and 3-4 minor (5 pts) is about the outside of what I can handle before I am playing a mess rather than a hero or an operator...

YMMV and Good Luck!!

Last edited by Witchking; 07-21-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
NorphTehDwarf

If you're gonna have food, bring stuff that won't stain your tablecloth, clothing, or carpet.

How experienced are the players? Just letting folks who've never played GURPS before create a character can lead to a little frustration. I'd suggest you use templates of some sort for your first go; the DF and MH lines in particular would probably be most useful.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
zoncxs

I set a limit on how many disadvantages one can take to only four, not including attributes or secondary characteristics reduction.

Also this is an online pbp game. I have yet to get players since I am still closing out some things. I will also use the action points rules that came out recently in a pyramid article.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
any advise you can give me on running this type of game? questions to enlighten me with? food?
Why is the price of the UB 20 character points. That's very expensive... What is your reasoning for charging 20 CP instead of, e.g., 5 CP?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
zoncxs

very few people are aware of how to use magic and call the divine powers of gods. even fewer are able to perform the acts. knowing how to and being able to do these things is very rare. as such, being able to do this cost points, though you are right, I should lower it.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
very few people are aware of how to use magic and call the divine powers of gods. even fewer are able to perform the acts. knowing how to and being able to do these things is very rare. as such, being able to do this cost points, though you are right, I should lower it.
How many people can use DF or RPM, in the world? And how big is the word's population?

There aren't any rules for deriving UB costs based on world-statistical rarity, but 20 CP is almost certainly the wrong price anyway.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Anders

We go with either pizza or chinese food.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
zoncxs

the food part was for what I should eat tonight lol this is a pbp
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Faolyn

Re: everyone's take on disadvantages.

Personally, I'm all for lots of disads. My current character has 67 points in disads, not including quirks and racial disads...and every single one of them relates to her rather intense background. That, in fact, was one of the stipulations of the game: we started off with low-point characters and (IIRC) the traditional -40 disads, but were able to buy more disads if our background dictated it. None of my disads were chosen just for fluff or for extra points.

So I'd say sure, allow someone to be blind or have the mafia as an enemy--if they can justify it in a well-written, plot-hook heavy background.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote