Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #531
Jasonft

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Hmmm. Should read "swords that burned with unending flame while near one of the pits".
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #532
somecallmetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Hmmm. Should read "swords that burned with unending flame while near one of the pits".
You're quite right. An oversight on my part.

Though I imagine the mana levels of the world slowly rising as more pits open, meaning eventually large swaths of the planet would be at least very low mana. But not yet. Some of the items are probably exotic materials (like mentioned in Dungeon Fantasy: Treasure Tables" and so may maintain some of their traits (like unnatural sharpness) away from the pits.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #533
Jasonft

You might also get certain monsters like maybe dragons that are Mana Generators. Thus nowhere is completely safe from the weirdness.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #534
somecallmetim

That's a really cool idea.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #535
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
You might also get certain monsters like maybe dragons that are Mana Generators. Thus nowhere is completely safe from the weirdness.
Dragon slayers aren't just after cool treasure, out for revenge, or even the challenge. They mean to save reality itself. It harkens back to symbolism equating dragons with Satan and all things inimical to good people.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 10-04-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #536
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its particularly fun if the dragons have aspected mana: each one allows certain types of spells but not other.

A silver scaled dragon has taken up residence on a high mountain peak. Its aspected for healing magic, and about half of those who see it report coming back healed. The other half get eaten, and no one can prove a pattern.

The local bishop has taken to calling the beast "Lucifer", and made efforts to stop those coming seeking healing. The local lord says its foolishness, and encourages healers to come to his court. (of course, you could flip that around.)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #537
Flyndaran
Untagged

Those healed by the dragon are sometimes infected with a parasite vaguely similar to toxoplasmosis. It causes slowed aging and an obsession with draconic imagery and interests. Bam. Dragon cults.

When the infection reaches its peak, it causes an uncontrollable urge to sacrifice oneself to a dragon or at the very least drown in a body of water frequented by a dragon.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #538
Jasonft

Dragons are also recognized as symbols of empires. At random intervals a giant five clawed dragon shows up in China to eat corrupt ministers. Promptly hailed by peasants as agent of Heavenly Court.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #539
Flyndaran
Untagged

People do ascribe meaning and pattern to all sorts of purely random events and forces. It's our nature.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #540
Astromancer

Try this idea, social weirdness.

Until about the 1980's many places in the USA required boys and men to swim nude in public pools. As late as the 1960's swimming contests were nude for men but clothed for women. This can be looked up on Google, look at nude swimming at the YMCA.

Many of the photos from the period tell the story. One photo of a young athlete toweling off in front of a group of adults and children (the haircuts look early 1960's to me) shows him fully nude and no one seems to care. Another photo shows a mixed group of naked boys and dressed girls in what seems to be a yearbook photo. The male coaches are also nude. The girls suits and the boys haircuts all say mid-1950's. None of the women seem to least annoyed, alarmed, or aware, of the naked men around them. One girls face shows a desperate effort to look cheery for the yearbook photo, another girl looks deeply bored, and a third girl seems to realize her swimsuit doesn't flatter her figure. But none of them seem the least interested in the naked men.

According to some social historians, there were large areas of the USA were gym classes were routinely naked in high school and college into the 1970's and he backed this up with photos of naked athletes playing sports in front of mixed gender crowds. No one seemed scandalized.

So try this, instead of the USA growing more sensitive/restrictive about male nudity, a parallel were Male, but not Female, nudity becomes more common and in fact required in certain circumstances.

Out timers would have to figure out rules of etiquette that don't seem logical to them. There's also knowing when the PCs are required to be naked, and when they could be charged with indecent exposure.

Added fun, when the men are not required to be nude, they're required to ware more clothing than would be normal for Homeline people in the same period or face indecent exposure charges. If you can get the PCs confused as to whether they need to strip or put on a summer jacket, you've got the balance right.

This idea can be applied to many other social conventions as well. These details can make the most ordinary settings aliens and dangerous.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 10-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds