Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
acrosome

Default Re: World of Domibia - GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canology View Post
That GProjector program is AWESOME! I finally can see Domibia as a globe!
Just remember- it will spit out almost any projection you can think of, but it assumes that all input is in equirectangular projection.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
Canology

Thread Resurrection!

I finally restarted my blog and decided I wanted to actually respond to some of the comments from way back in 2015. Mainly because replying helps me focus my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Fantastic. So, regarding the Antenté:

I get that you were trying to start off with something simple, but these guys strike me as an excessively-minimalist interpretation of the descriptive text you posted. The first paragraph states that they are, "a culture devoted to beauty and entertainment," and then we don't really see anything in the stats that establishes that. Why did Rianté create them? Did he just want there to be more good-looking people who can't read in the world (totally valid, if he's maybe a little simple-minded), or did he want there to be more people who appreciate and try to fill the world with beauty? If the latter, these guys need some touch-ups.
Yeah, I was starting off simple...
Each of the gods created one race that fit their ideal and are based on their personality. I realize that I didn't really go into too much detail before I posted a racial write-up, so it may seem out of context. In this case, Rianté, picked traits that she liked, like pretty people and "beauty". Imagine if a vapid 18th century French aristocrat were to create a race.
It's my fault for not explaining this better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Bare minimum, I'd give them a Quirk along the lines of: Devoted to Beauty and Entertainment [-1]. This would conveniently bring the racial total to [0] if you like that sort of thing. Even a Quirk can make a huge difference in flavoring a culture, if it's nearly-universal.
I have actually been pondering this for the past couple of years. I'm not sure that I like the idea of racial quirks for entire populations. If we use the analog that I suggested for Rianté (18th Century French), what quirks would encompass a large part of that population? The aristocracy have their fancy balls and feasts and the peasants toil away in poverty. The idea of what their society was like would be greatly affected by their class.

The races on Domibia should be thought of more as cultures (at least amongst the basically human races).

I snipped a bunch of interesting suggestions that gave me a lot of food for thought regarding racial packages in general.

As I said at the beginning I have actually starte dthe blog up again. I have been working on a dimension hopping campaign and since I have a lot of newbie players and folks getting back into gaming after many years away, I have been making a bunch of (what I think are) useful player aids.
At the bottom of this post is a link to a hit location chart I created that is meant to allow them to keep damage notes and list their armor.

Hit Location Chart

In addition to the new campaign I will be working again on the world of Domibia as my muse seems to have returned...

Last edited by Canology; 04-19-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fixed the link...
Canology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
Canology

As a follow-up to my rather lengthy comments, I have been pondering the idea of having races or cultures written up like a character. Something along the lines of the city stats.
These would be the cultural/racial ideals that members would acknowledge. Like how most Americans during the 40's and 50's saw themselves as a culture that stood for truth, justice and the American Way, but individual Americans might give no more than lip service to those concepts.
I need to cogitate on this some longer, but I'd be curious what others may think.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
[*]Tongues: You don't need to go the full Tolkien, as you said. Real-world is a good basis, but you might want to stick to the sounds, and come up with a naming tongue based on those sounds.
That's one way to do it. My current fantasy campaign does it a different way:

* For names of places, I follow the convention of astronomers mapping the moon and Mars, giving observed features names in Latin. These are NOT the names that the native inhabitants, or anyone in the world, calls them. For example, one of the PCs comes from a land called Dumetum Furtum. You can imagine, if you like, that a geographer in the invented world used that name, or a name whose Latin equivalent was that; but my concern is just to have names that aren't English.

* I invited the players to make up names for their characters in any Earth language they liked. So I have Bengta Gannet (Scandinavian), Gansukh (Mongolian), Hanno (ancient Phoenician), Onofrio (Italian), Kenbash Nergul (Mongolian), and Sangmu (Tibetan). Some of the cultures have very little resemblance to those the languages come from!

* NPC names also come from Earth languages, but normally I picked an Earth language that fits the culture in some way. For example, a culture of trolls living in a taiga environment in male-headed households had names like Vasilisa. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canology View Post
As a follow-up to my rather lengthy comments, I have been pondering the idea of having races or cultures written up like a character. Something along the lines of the city stats.
These would be the cultural/racial ideals that members would acknowledge. Like how most Americans during the 40's and 50's saw themselves as a culture that stood for truth, justice and the American Way, but individual Americans might give no more than lip service to those concepts.
I need to cogitate on this some longer, but I'd be curious what others may think.
How were you thinking of writing it? I'm imagining something like a character sheet representing an idealized individual of the culture, with Attributes, Advantages and Disadvantages showing what a man (or woman) should be. Possibly also include a list of undesirable Advantages and Disadvantages.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #16
Canology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
How were you thinking of writing it? I'm imagining something like a character sheet representing an idealized individual of the culture, with Attributes, Advantages and Disadvantages showing what a man (or woman) should be. Possibly also include a list of undesirable Advantages and Disadvantages.
That is what I was visualizing. Sort of an archetype character sheet.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #17
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
...So I have Bengta Gannet (Scandinavian)
The Northern germanic languages are sometimes quite similar, but Icelandic names differ quite a lot from other Scandinavian names. Bengta is a quite uncommon female name, originating from Benedicta in Latin. Gannet does not sound like a Scandinavian name to me at all, but I might be wrong. (I am a Dane born in Sweden, now with dual Swedish and Danish citizenships, for the record)

On the topic of names: a rather prolific swedish RPG author once named the chief of a clan or tribe after... an Icecream (Sw. "Storstruten"). =)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
On the topic of names: a rather prolific swedish RPG author once named the chief of a clan or tribe after... an Icecream (Sw. "Storstruten"). =)
Now I really want to make a Haagen-Daaz tribe of Viking Orcs a thing for my setting. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
The Northern germanic languages are sometimes quite similar, but Icelandic names differ quite a lot from other Scandinavian names. Bengta is a quite uncommon female name, originating from Benedicta in Latin. Gannet does not sound like a Scandinavian name to me at all, but I might be wrong. (I am a Dane born in Sweden, now with dual Swedish and Danish citizenships, for the record)
No, Gannet is not intended as a name in a northern Germanic language, but as the English translation of an epithet: A gannet is a seabird of genus Morus, such as the northern gannet, M. bassanus. Neither the player nor I had any idea what the name for the species is in any Scandinavian tongue.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #20
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
No, Gannet is not intended as a name in a northern Germanic language, but as the English translation of an epithet: A gannet is a seabird of genus Morus, such as the northern gannet, M. bassanus. Neither the player nor I had any idea what the name for the species is in any Scandinavian tongue.
Ah, I see. The genus Morus is actually Morus in swedish - the seabird (M. bassnus) is Havssula in swedish, where "hav" in swedish is Ocean, and "sula" is the family of birds comprising three genuses Morus, Papasula and Sula.

After some quick googling, I do not find havssula to be part of swedish names.

On the other hand - now excuse me for using wikipedia as a source - the page regarding Gannet states that:

Quote:
"Gannet" is derived from Old English ganot "strong or masculine"
You could be much worse off with a surname, northern germanic or not. =)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs