Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
harlandski

Default 3/DX check to cast any spell?

I just played my first game of Wizard, using the "Two Complete Games in One Box" rules. I just want to check one thing - should the player roll against DX for all spells, including Creation spells? It seems logical to roll for missile spells / thrown spells with an unwilling target, but I just wanted to check if a 3/DX roll is necessary to cast other spells too?
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: 3/DX check to cast any spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlandski View Post
I just played my first game of Wizard, using the "Two Complete Games in One Box" rules. I just want to check one thing - should the player roll against DX for all spells, including Creation spells? It seems logical to roll for missile spells / thrown spells with an unwilling target, but I just wanted to check if a 3/DX roll is necessary to cast other spells too?
Yes, it is 3d against adjDX to successfully cast a spell.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
hcobb

In pure Wizard a non-critical failure to hit the first target with a missile spell still casts the spell which continues on from that spot.
In The Labyrinth adds several special spells that roll against IQ to activate.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Skarg

In ITL, too, you can hit the wrong target with a non-critical miss on a missile spell.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
TippetsTX

When playing TFT, it is important not to think of the stats in traditional binary terms.

DX is not only used to represent dexterity, it is also an abstraction for general skill prowess (like a level-based bonus in some other FRPGs).
Old 03-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
hcobb

In Wizard all spells have the same "difficulty" level which is only adjusted for range to and visibility of the target. ITL adds spells that add additional dice to the roll, but these are almost entirely IQ rolls. Hence a typical experienced ITL wizard will have ST 6, DX 14 and IQ 20 or higher.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Hence a typical experienced ITL wizard will have ST 6, DX 14 and IQ 20 or higher.
I hope players new to TFT looking for guidance on these forums understand how incorrect statements like this are.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
larsdangly

Exactly; it would be nice to keep the extremist, tongue in cheek arguments about exotic 'builds' out of threads that are clearly aimed at answering basic questions about the game.

To the OP's question: rolling vs. DX is the default norm for spell casting, but note once you step up to campaign play with the spell list in In The Labyrinth you will encounter a couple of spells that are exceptions - usually rituals (slowly cast spells) that involve divination or other purely cerebral acts.

As to 'why?', there is no simple, correct answer because the author has not provided a guide to his thoughts about all of these sorts of issues. But I view it in purely 'game-ist' terms: Characters possess only 3 stats but all stats are useful for all major character types, so you are forced to make choices that involve significant trade offs. A fighter can treat ST or DX (or IQ) as a 'god stat', but doing so will come with substantial costs. The same is true of wizards. It is extremely common for people new to the game to immediately think of house rules that remove one or more of these constraints because they see a path to a preferred character type that will become stronger as a result. E.g., if all spell casting is based on IQ rather than DX, you will immediately steer into high IQ wizards who get the 'quadratic' benefit of stronger spells at higher chances of success. Everyone enjoys the idea of getting something for nothing, so why not? The only problem (of course) is that paving a path to a powerful extreme character will weaken every other character type, in a relative sense, and make your game exclusively about that special 'build'. This is a cheap thrill that quickly wears off.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
Oneiros

One should also note, that since you roll for all spells, almost all spells benefit from "critical hits". Roll a 3, and you get the effect tripled: 3 wolves for the price of one! (For instance).
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
harlandski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
When playing TFT, it is important not to think of the stats in traditional binary terms.

DX is not only used to represent dexterity, it is also an abstraction for general skill prowess (like a level-based bonus in some other FRPGs).
I had been wondering about what DX actually refers to, and "prowess" makes a lot of sense, thank you!
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote