Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #41
Kfireblade

Default Re: Lecherousness & Bisexuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Ah, Buridan's ass! It seems to me that if you can't choose one to focus on, even if it's by tossing a coin, then you have a different disadvantage or quirk. In fact I think it's Indecisive (p. B140). But in any case, in the Victorian era, you could be pretty sure that hitting on a woman wouldn't work if there were other people present, as she would be a figure of scandal if she let you do it. So staying in the presence of both equally attractive women would likely mean getting nowhere with either. That's surely the least desirable outcome for Lecherousness.
Well, the way Lech reads it seems to me in that situation you would make two self control rolls (as you're interacting with two attractive people) and if you failed both you would be obliged to try to get them BOTH in bed.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Well, the way Lech reads it seems to me in that situation you would make two self control rolls (as you're interacting with two attractive people) and if you failed both you would be obliged to try to get them BOTH in bed.
I think that's an unreasonable interpretation. In most cultures, the lecherous person would know that both of the potential targets would be far less likely to say yes to a threesome than to a twosome. I don't think it's compulsory to do things that hurt your chances of getting what you want.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #43
Kfireblade

Quote:
I think that's an unreasonable interpretation. In most cultures, the lecherous person would know that both of the potential targets would be far less likely to say yes to a threesome than to a twosome. I don't think it's compulsory to do things that hurt your chances of getting what you want.
I really don't think it is, seeing as it seems to be explicitly how the disadvantage is written.

Quote:
Make a self-control roll whenever you have more than
the briefest contact with an appealing
member of the sex you find
attractive
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #44
Plane

I guess maybe it's whoever passes the "more than the briefest" threshold first.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #45
Rupert

Quote:
I would go so far as to say that the Lecherous character should be doing whatever they can to maximise their chances of success. Just what that is depends on circumstances and the character's personality and resources - some characters might carefully plan their campaign to win and bed the object of their desire. Others might simply take their best shot at a simple pass and if shot down try the next person of opportunity.

I think the big thing is the longer they are lacking an opportunity to attempt romance, and the longer they fail to succeed when attempting it, to more frustrated they'll get and the more likely they'll be to do something that gets them into all kinds of trouble, like abandon socially acceptable behaviour and make direct passes in societies where you just don't do that, and thus get in duels, or roughed up in a back alley, run out of town, etc.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:11 PM   #46
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
some characters might carefully plan their campaign to win and bed the object of their desire
If they're doing that every single time they see an attractive person then they're going to be pretty busy.

This isn't a disadvantage of "I'm in love with this particular person" or any other kind of particular obsession.

"Making a pass" is apparently pretty blatent if https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/make_a_pass_at is right: "unambiguously indicate interest in sexual activity"

That's not generally what you do in a campaign to "win" people via romance.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #47
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
"Making a pass" is apparently pretty blatent if https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/make_a_pass_at is right: "unambiguously indicate interest in sexual activity"
On the other hand, consider the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside," which has been controversial in recent years. It's quite unambiguous that the man is sexually interested in the woman; he says things like "Mind if I move in closer?" and "Gosh, your lips look delicious." And he's trying to persuade her to stay the night. But he didn't make the effort somewhere out in public; she came to see him that night—"Been hoping that you'd drop in"—and that's the context where he expresses an interest.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:57 AM   #48
Polydamas

Quote:
If they're doing that every single time they see an attractive person then they're going to be pretty busy.
Well yeah, a 15-point mental disadvantage dominates a character's life. Like I said, Harry P. Flashman is a good fictional model, Asimov and young Feynman are good real ones.

Quote:
I"Making a pass" is apparently pretty blatent if https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/make_a_pass_at is right: "unambiguously indicate interest in sexual activity"

That's not generally what you do in a campaign to "win" people via romance.
The proverbial Martian would observe that romance is surrounded by a lot of wordy and flowery language, but it usually ends in going somewhere private and removing clothes and embracing. And in fact, that wordy and flowery language usually imagines forming a lasting pair-bond and having children, which is not at all the most common outcome when two humans have sex! Again, Harry P. Flashman is a good model: he uses everything from isolating his target and applying Flashman's Patent Grip to a sustained campaign of flirtation over months depending on his target, the surrounding mores, and his highly trained sense of what approach is most likely to work. But he is more or less always trying to get someone to lift her skirts for him, and if he succeeds he gets bored and starts chasing someone new.

GURPS uses euphemistic and old-fashioned language around sex and romance. (Again: a game coming out of the 1980s by a company based in Texas which was almost bankrupted by a Secret Service raid).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #49
Plane

Quote:
On the other hand, consider the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside," which has been controversial in recent years. It's quite unambiguous that the man is sexually interested in the woman; he says things like "Mind if I move in closer?" and "Gosh, your lips look delicious." And he's trying to persuade her to stay the night. But he didn't make the effort somewhere out in public; she came to see him that night—"Been hoping that you'd drop in"—and that's the context where he expresses an interest.
I don't know that that guy would necessarily have Lecherous, he might just be interested in her, not all beautiful ladies, however contemptible his choice of language in modern perspective.

I like Sideshow Bob's spin on that song.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
I don't know that that guy would necessarily have Lecherous, he might just be interested in her, not all beautiful ladies, however contemptible his choice of language in modern perspective.
Yes, but the point is that what he's doing IS definitely making a pass. That was spelled out from the start; the lyrics called him "wolf" and the woman "mouse." And yet making a pass does not seem to entail that he leaps on her immediately, out in public, in front of possible witnesses who might defend her, object, or start a scandal; he clearly waited until he had her alone. "You must make a pass" does not entail "you must make a pass immediately."

Tags
bisexual, bisexuality, lecherousness