Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #31
David Johnston2

Default Re: atypical campaigns for typical settings

I nearly ran a game of Maid the RPG, in which the maids were Bruce Wayne's household staff (because really, do you think a single old man can clean and maintain an 88 room mansion, or move that much equipment into a bat cave and keep it free of guano?). Of course they were ninja maids who would shadow their master and solve cases for him because he was actually a pretty good martial artist, but a lousy detective.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #32
Gold & Appel Inc

I've had a similar idea (but no chance to run it yet), only instead of Bruce Wayne's household staff, it was the entourage of a corporate celebrity spokeshero popularly known as "Captain Coke" (for exactly two very significant reasons). He's a hyper-volatile, womanizing man-child with money to burn and potent superpowers, and it's the PCs' job to follow him around, do crowd control (ie: protect other people from him when he gets a wild hair about something), and generally clean up his messes (with skills ranging from Propaganda to First Aid).

This is a cross between Entourage and GURPS Action! set in a supers universe. The PCs (including a Lawyer / Media Liason / Face Man / the only guy who can talk CC down when he's got the Crazy Eyes, a former Cop / Wheelman, an EMT Medic, a Wire Rat to hack security cameras and jam press van transmissions, and a Martial Artist / Crowd Control Expert at the very least) are some of the best at what they do, but when push comes to shove they're still hopelessly outmatched by both the high-power supervillains (and rival corporate heroes) that occasionally take a poke at their charge to make a name for themselves, and their colorful and unpredictable charge himself.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 08-04-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #33
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I nearly ran a game of Maid the RPG,
I've seen that before, or I'd probably think you were making it up :\
I have no idea what's supposed to be "typical" for it though.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #34
(E)

I ran one cyberpunk game with the players making morally disagreeable characters. (corrupt ex-cops who where framed for a crime that they did commit and were looking for revenge) Using the example of US TV crime fiction the "colour" of the campaign was that "everyone is going to go down in the end". Each scenario seemed to result in the list of enemies getting bigger or law enforcement getting closer. The players had a great time playing the desperation of their characters as things got steadily worse. The PC's where all either killed, arrested, addicted, or harvested for parts and left in an alley by the end of the campaign.

Coincidentally the players had missed a couple of giveaways in the first scenario that resulted in them indirectly working for the person they where trying to hunt down. Which made for a great reveal scene at the end.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
Stormcrow

Pyramid 3 #7 has a systemless article "The New Kingdom" about the return of the Egyptian Gods to the world... in New York City.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I've seen that before, or I'd probably think you were making it up :\
I have no idea what's supposed to be "typical" for it though.
There are two basic out of box approaches to MtRPG. The first is harem comedy, with the maids competing to win the affection of the Master while wacky random things happen. The second is kind of ominous soap opera.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #37
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I ran one cyberpunk game with the players making morally disagreeable characters. (corrupt ex-cops who where framed for a crime that they did commit and were looking for revenge) Using the example of US TV crime fiction the "colour" of the campaign was that "everyone is going to go down in the end". Each scenario seemed to result in the list of enemies getting bigger or law enforcement getting closer. The players had a great time playing the desperation of their characters as things got steadily worse. The PC's where all either killed, arrested, addicted, or harvested for parts and left in an alley by the end of the campaign.
Isn't that pretty much the default cyberpunk campaign?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Pretty much, yeah. The atypical campaign is the one where you play a team of four-colour superheroes cleaning up a cyberpunk dystopia.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #39
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
IDK, aren't Cyberpunk protagonists supposed to be perceived as dangerous misfits by the corrupt authorities and megacorps but really be protectors of (or at least embodiments of) freedom and decency?
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #40
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
IDK, aren't Cyberpunk protagonists supposed to be perceived as dangerous misfits by the corrupt authorities and megacorps but really be protectors of (or at least embodiments of) freedom and decency?
That's one approach. I prefer my Cyberpunk protagonists as corrupted compromisers, trying to step back from the one last compromise that'll make them as bad as the ones they're fighting, but knowing that they need to get an edge from somewhere.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, settings