Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #27
Polydamas

Default Re: Banestorm Navies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
You know I've never played (nor even noticed) the ruling that only the spells from the core book are commonly available. That may explain the difference in tone of my campaigns.
Because GURPS Magic has been around for a long time (and used to feature prominently in the Line Editor's home games) there seems to be a lot of 'headcannon' and things which the authors meant to include but did not spell out as clearly as they could have. In the GURPS 3e days there were a whole set of krommnotes which some people took as Holy Writ, and the earlier spell lists have an unwritten set of basic assumptions about how magic works which I find harder recognizing in later and larger lists. I still think that David Pulver's idea of breaking the core spell list down into a few modules, deleting prerequisites and boring spells, etc. was good.

And Yrth was designed as a setting for everything from epic high fantasy to low fantasy slice-of-life to "imagine if our SCA household was thrown into a fantasy novel" so some things are left vague. It sounds like CraigM has a clear idea of how things work in his Yrth, and hopes that he can make a rational fantasy setting with the right feel while including that big long list of spells, so I hope that others with more time will have suggestions for him!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 10-26-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, yrth