Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Aneirin

Default Training a horse

Hello. A PC in a game I am running (medievil) has got a horse. He would like to train it for war.

The books say it takes a year, but as he has brought the horse as an ally I have decided that increases in the horses point value (due to the PC increasing in point value) would go towards advantages for war training (combat reflexes so it doesn't spook, mount skill so it can bear its rider better, brawling so it can fight better)

Might go quicker than a year.

Though for this to happen he will either need to train the horse himself...or pay someone else to do it.

He asked how much that would cost and looking through low tech, horse sense and everything else...I can't figure out a price and so I come to you to ask.

How much would it cost to train a horse for war on a monthly basis? (I appreciate the cost will vary wildly, rough ball park figures will do)
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Training a horse

The animal training rules suggest that training requires about half a day of work, so a month of training probably costs about half of a horse trainer's pay. So the question is how much you think a horse trainer should be paid in your campaign. Is it a job suitable for Average pay? Struggling? Comfortable? Something else? At any rate, decide how well the job pays in general and you've got your answer.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
How much would it cost to train a horse for war on a monthly basis? (I appreciate the cost will vary wildly, rough ball park figures will do)
Figure out whether it's a full-time job, or if efficient training occupies only some of the time so that such a horse trainer can train 2, 3, 4 or even more mounts in parallel, one at a time.

Then figure out the monthly pay, based on its rough Wealth level, Normal, Comfortable, Wealthy, et cetera, based in part on supply vs demand, and in part (large part if you want an actually medieval society, as opposed to D&D Land) on how prestigious horse training is from a social class point of view.

Oh, you also need to add in the cost to feed the horse, and stabling it. The character owning the horse would normally do that, but I imagine that the horse trainer would want to handle those duties for the duration of the training period.

Me, just pulling some random figures out of my rear end, I'd say it's a Normal job (it's skilled work, but it's also very much commoner work), and a horse trainer can war-train 4 horses in parallel, but can usually only get 3 (due to limited demand), so take the typical salary for a Normal Wealth level job and divide by 3. Then add cost of feed and stabling (in GURPS Low-Tech Companion 3) on top of that.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Pahn

Are we sure that training a warhorse is commoner's work? Common folk don't have much need for horses that fight.
Pahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Are we sure that training a warhorse is commoner's work? Common folk don't have much need for horses that fight.
It's work. Nobility doesn't do work, neither do clerks. And those are the three castes that exist in a medieval society.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Aneirin

Thanks for the advice.

Decided to base it off wages and as with most things cost varying wildly of prestige and dividing if if the trainer is doing more than one horse.

Added in cost of taking care of the horse from Horse sense (and increase cost factor of x9 if prestigious)

Cost goes from 1300 a month for some shifty git to more than the PC could ever hope to pay.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
gilbertocarlos

Remember that above the cost for training there is the maintenance cost for the horse, a warhorse can't simply eat grass, he needs quality food.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Remember that above the cost for training there is the maintenance cost for the horse, a warhorse can't simply eat grass, he needs quality food.
That's covered in LTC3. I can't recall if it's covered in the one or two Pyramid v2 articles that dealt with the issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
dcarson

Training your own war horse would be suitable for a noble since horses and war are both suitable. Training one as a gift also. But training one for pay wouldn't be since pay makes you a employee.

So a hired trainer is a commoner, a step up since it is associated with warfare but still not a job that is well paid.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
The Colonel

IIRC destriers in particular were trained by their riders - not least to put them at the top of the list of people that the horse was less prone to attack, and because a horseman and his mount are a team and need to train as one. No-one who does modern dressage would consider having someone else train their horse for them ... much less so someone whose life depends on the horse knowing exactly what he wants it to do.
I'd also be surprised if it only took a year - I recall reading that destrier training started before the horse was full grown and took several years to complete.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote