Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
Kronos328

Default Powers that scale with unorthodox things

Hello people from the GURPS forums!

First of all, sorry if the wording on the title is confusing, I couldn't come up with a better term for what I mean.

So, without further ado, let us go:

How would you go about making powers or traits that scale based on things that aren't attributes per se?

For example: If I wanted to make a character that gets +1ST for every 20 people he kills, how could I do it?

I personally think that, since in GURPS "There's no such thing as a free lunch", i wouldn't be able to make him gain the ST bonuses directly, and would have to, instead, gain Character Points that can only be spent on increasing ST after fulfilling the condition of killing 20 people.

Nontheless, I can't seem to think of a way this could work, should I use some kind of Affliction with a Trigger?

Thank you all in advance for your time.
Kronos328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Powers that scale with unorthodox things

The only way I can figure this working is if the ST goes back after e.g. 24 hours. Then you could have ST (Accessibility - only if you killed [x] times 20 people during the last 24 hours).

On the other hand, if this is for an NPC there's no need to stat it. Just go with it.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Donny Brook

As far as I know, there is no mechanical rule that supplies specific character point for any in game action, so getting CP for killings would have to be a campaign feature established by the GM.

The only rule that I can think of to get to an ability like this would be a heavily modified version of Leech (Powers p.96), and it would of course not require powering by CP.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Anything that grant CP per action (unless the action requires an entire session) is going to rapidly break game balance. 1 CP per 20 kills, even if only reserved for ST, would result in a superhuman character within a couple of sessions.

Now, it is possible to purchase high ST, take an equivalent disadvantage, and have Mitigator on the disadvantage. For example, you could have a character with ST 20 [100] take ST-10 (Mitigator, monthly, must kill 20 people, -65%) [-35], for a grand total of 65 CP. As long as the character kills 20 people a month, they retain their massive ST.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Buying the max level with an accessebility limitation is the most common way to do it. Yes, it's expensive, but being powerful is supposed to be expensive.

DR with absorbtion can give "free" points, but the requirements to gain are strict, only apply to damage (rather than arbitrary things like kill count or phase of the moon), and drain away at the high rate of 1/sec.

If you are the GM or can convince the GM to award CP for the specified action, then its easy. The GM is in complete control of CP awards. But the GM is also responsible for using that to make the game work. How would you feel if a player went to the GM and said "I want a source of extra character advancement that only applies to me"? Because that's what you're asking.

There are of course games where such a premise makes sense and is fun. If the premise is highlander, then you almost have to insert such a clause. But such matters are about game management and scenario design, not point accounting.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
naloth

I suspect a variant of "Leech" would be fair. Going off DR absorption, damage seem to convert to about 1 character point per HP drained. Unlike HP/FP it's not permanent. Any points gained in this way should drain at 1 point per second (though I'd allow a bit of extended duration, up to say hours, but not days) like absorption.

With the right combination, you could leech 2-3 points of ST off an average undamaged person before killing them.

This smells like a minor enhancement. Say +30% to leech into one ability instead of HP. I believe that mirrors the "+30% Fatigue only".
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos328 View Post
Hello people from the GURPS forums!

First of all, sorry if the wording on the title is confusing, I couldn't come up with a better term for what I mean.

So, without further ado, let us go:

How would you go about making powers or traits that scale based on things that aren't attributes per se?

For example: If I wanted to make a character that gets +1ST for every 20 people he kills, how could I do it?

I personally think that, since in GURPS "There's no such thing as a free lunch", i wouldn't be able to make him gain the ST bonuses directly, and would have to, instead, gain Character Points that can only be spent on increasing ST after fulfilling the condition of killing 20 people.

Nontheless, I can't seem to think of a way this could work, should I use some kind of Affliction with a Trigger?
Maybe a Beneficial affliction:

Strength of a Serial Killer [108]

Affliction (Accessibility: Only on self -60?%; Advantage: ST +1, +100%; Cosmic: No roll +100%; Cumulative +400%; Maladiction+100%; Permanent +300%; Reflexive +40%; Trigger: Very Common, Illegal {Only after killing 20 people} -15*%) [105]

*Seems low.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Kronos328

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Maybe a Beneficial affliction:

Strength of a Serial Killer [108]

Affliction (Accessibility: Only on self -60?%; Advantage: ST +1, +100%; Cosmic: No roll +100%; Cumulative +400%; Maladiction+100%; Permanent +300%; Reflexive +40%; Trigger: Very Common, Illegal {Only after killing 20 people} -15*%) [105]

*Seems low.
Perfect! Thank you very much!
Kronos328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
1 CP per 20 kills, even if only reserved for ST, would result in a superhuman character within a couple of sessions.
I think your sessions must have a higher body-count than mine.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
AlexanderHowl

I have had parties with body counts in the hundreds or even thousands in some sessions. It happens when you have a party of five 250 CP weapon masters face an army by themselves. Or when you have ritual adepts decide to torch an entire army camp during the middle of the night (3d burning damage every second for 10 seconds across a square mile will pretty much end most armies).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, scaling