Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2018, 11:28 PM   #531
(E)

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

There is always the option of gathering nitrogen from Earth's atmosphere and sterilizing it.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:07 AM   #532
Flyndaran
Untagged

Earth has a massively deep gravity well. Also if you can sterilize that well, then why not live on/in Earth via arcologies?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #533
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Earth has a massively deep gravity well.
The Earth also has a massive atmosphere. Using a mixture of static lift (I. E. Blimps) and dynamic lift (I. E. Jet Engines) could lighten the load.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #534
AlexanderHowl

With what helium for the blimps and with what fuel for the jets?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #535
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Very close. The PCs are non-muties on the run from the IRS for not paying their public nuisance tax! ;-) .
Though that isn't quite the same thing as *forcing* everybody to accept a mod. You can pay the nuisance tax.

I think this is the key to making this sort of thing plausible. "Everybody" gets a mod, but those crazies who *really* don't want it, can opt out, it just leaves them unemployable outcastes or something.

But sure, a lot of it is subjective value judgement too, colored by which end of the special privileges/additional obligations involved you (or your identity group) are on. I think part of the reason people these days are willing to consider disabilities cultural things they want to keep is society has increasingly opted to force people without them to take on a lot of the burden. But it's still force, just applied to somebody else. Change what's possible and the consensus of who it's legitimate to force could easily alter. If your society's solution is "we'll fix it for free, and if you don't want it fixed you cope without our help", that seems at least as legitimate a solution as mandating ramps and braille on everything.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #536
Astromancer

Quote:
Earth has a massively deep gravity well. Also if you can sterilize that well, then why not live on/in Earth via arcologies?
Resettlement of the Earth would be a campaign in and of itself. However, a minor gas exchange on Titan or Mars would be a nuisance, on Plague Earth it could be a death sentence.

Still, as a source of nitrogen and exotic DNA, Earth would be unrivaled.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #537
Flyndaran
Untagged

Lengthy quarantines seem reasonable even if not technically needed if only, because the "sensibly paranoid" citizens would demand it.
That could easily lead to classic limited location adventures.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #538
Astromancer

Quote:
Lengthy quarantines seem reasonable even if not technically needed if only, because the "sensibly paranoid" citizens would demand it.
That could easily lead to classic limited location adventures.
Trying to find out what the bio-agent or agents that wiped out humanity, or most of it, would be a priority, after survival. Seeing if the bio-agent/s are still around and deadly would be important too.

But survival would come first.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #539
Flyndaran
Untagged

Fear usually helps, but sometimes hinders survival.
I can see friction between those saying air-mining Earth is necessary and those that calling it a death sentence to even go near the planet. But I see a middle group wanting a compromise of as close to pure automation involved as possible with harsh sterilization and quarantine protocols.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #540
AlexanderHowl

It is still going to be ten times as expensive to mine the Earth for nitrogen than to just get it from Titan. Or you couod mine the atmosphere of Venus for nitrogen, which costs half as much to mine than the atmosphere of Earth (normal air mixtures are lifting gases in the atmosphere of Venus, so you can support floating harvesters that use fusion-powered railguns to accelerate canisters to Venutian escape velocity). Or you could mine ammonia ice from Triton, which still costs half as much as mining the Earth for nitrogen. The only reason to take nitrogen from the Earth is if you lack the technology to get it from anywhere else.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote