Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 AM   #1
sir-talen

Default Nightfall: Mission Five

Anyone have any luck with this scenario? I've tried five times with various strategies and counter mixes, and I can't seem to destroy more than four SP's before the reinforcements come in and wipe me out.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
Eugee

Default Re: Nightfall: Mission Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen View Post
Anyone have any luck with this scenario? I've tried five times with various strategies and counter mixes, and I can't seem to destroy more than four SP's before the reinforcements come in and wipe me out.
That's the one I got stuck on. I've tried three times now. The first attempt was with 15 SHVY (I like them, what can I say), the second was with 30 GEVs, and the third attempt was with a mix of GEVs and HVYs.

It always starts out well, then when I've got 1 or 2 outposts left those reinforcements just cave my face in.

I'm going to try again, I think with 30 HVY, in two prongs, and just run for the outposts. If there's a chance an Ogre can take a shot at you next turn, DO NOT STACK. The AI is smart enough to point every gun at one unit and murder you with the spillover fire. The outposts with SP take double damage for some reason, so if it has 60 SP you only need to hit it with 30 damage.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
selenite

Trying to remember what I did for this one . . .

Put some LTs and GEVs forward to soak the missiles, SHVYs for firepower behind them. I focused on breaking the Ogres first then cleaned up the buildings. I sent a couple of GEVs on their own to get the buildings closest to the reinforcement entry point, the Ogres didn't try to chase them.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Eugee

I finally beat it. I wasn't as elegant with my run. I sent 30 HVY in two prongs. I just crammed a horde of them up each side. All firepower went to CPs first, and Ogres second. The HVYs get a 1:1 with the MBs which was nice. Not being able to cross ridgelines really sucked though.

I made it to the last CP with 2 HVYs left to finish it. :)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Eugee

21 tread attacks. 1 hit.

Two turns in a row.

*sigh*

36 rolls to get a 6. Ironic that's what it should take to get about 6 occurrences of any roll.

Last edited by Eugee; 10-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Tim Kauffman

I noticed 6s not coming up as much as well. I forget sometimes the Ogre gets +1 defense when in a town, but still seems off.

I used an all GEV strike force.

Deployed two x5 stacks on the east deployment zone as far south as possible and the main force deployed North as far West as possible.

Priority is the structure near the two Mark1s. X the MBs on those Mark1s as well. Two 2:1 attacks per turn may seem a trivial threat, but that's two probably Xed GEVs per turn...casualties can add up quickly and you can't afford any. Then moved the main force through the ridge passes to the far left side of the map moving South towards the three structures along the Southern border of the map.

Meanwhile the other x5 stack is moving towards the same first structure and can attack it and/or the Mark1 as well.
This group of GEVs then moves to attack the structure in the lower South East avoiding the Mark3 as much as possible.

The main strategy here is to draw the Mark3 away from this structure and then gun-and-run it to 0 SP, likewise draw the Mark5 North away from those structures the other GEV strike group is now after so they can continue their attack runs on those structures mostly unhindered.

It's a close battle, took me a few times to learn how to best maneuver around the map striking the best balance between attacking and drawing enemy Ogres away from targets...which is the key to winning this and some other scenarios.

Oh, yeah...NEVER forget the Mark5 has a six missile alpha strike...EVER. Thus, try not to stack inside that attack envelope. The Mark5 will luv you for that, and that's just wrong.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 01-09-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I used an all GEV force. Remember that you overrun structures and destroy them very quickly that way.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Eugee

Oh man. I didn't even think about overrunning them. That would change things dramatically. I think my 30 HVY went similarly to running the GEVs. I just beelined for the CPs and took them out, Xing the MBs as I went. The SBs weren't worth it, because I would fan out the HVYs as they ran, so whichever one the Ogre went after, the others could then outpace it.

But man, I didn't even THINK about overrunning the CPs
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I did it pretty easily with a mix of HVY, LT and GEV going at the Mark III, and a smaller "strike force" of GEVs and SHVYs at the Mark Is.

The "main force" attacking the Mark III is actually a decoy. The amount of firepower in that group easily stripped the Mark III, and was an imposing force for the Mark V, so the Mark V spent most of the time "thinking" what to do about them. Meanwhile, the GEVs and SHVYs made quick work of the Mark Is. The SHVYs don't care about ridges, and the GEVs skirted the maze to the far side and just ran over everything, starting in the top left and working down around to the bottom. I never even saw the reinforcements enter.

One thing I'm curious about, though. Which way is North? I just noticed during this scenario that reinforcements enter from the West, but where is West? There should probably be a compass rose on the map somewhere.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #10
sir-talen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
Not being able to cross ridgelines really sucked though.

I made it to the last CP with 2 HVYs left to finish it. :)
The damned ridgelines drive me crazy. They make any clever strategies impossible since they block any real ability to maneuver

Last edited by sir-talen; 10-09-2017 at 03:53 PM.
sir-talen is offline   Reply With Quote