Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Outdoor adventure cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
Will these be a available as addons for the next TFT kickstarter?

Hate to have to pay that shipping cost on hex 2 and this since I ordered hex2 days before I saw this.
Please e-mail orders@sjgames.com and they can help you out.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Mallen the dark

Added to backerkit for cards of destiny. Boy is that going to be a big box for me.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #13
HeatDeath

I just went through these and compared all of them to Phil's Kickstarter versions.

The 53 cards are drawn roughly evenly from Phil's Outdoor Encounter Cards 1 and 2 - Cards 1-25 are from Set 2 and the remainder are from Set 1.
  • About a dozen cards have been radically reworked, to the point where they're completely different from their Kickstarter version.
  • All the cards have had their text tightened up, some slightly and some extensively - Phil's writing voice is significantly more florid and verbose than Steve's is on these, apparently. :)
  • A few are described in a noticeably creepier way, or add an interesting mystery or hook.
  • On 3 or 4, generic creatures have been given TFT stats (usually via reference to ItL), or at least guidelines for such stats.
  • A few cards have had details changed to be GM's choice instead of having an effect prescribed by the card.
  • A number of pieces of advice to the players of other recommendations of particular player responses have been removed
  • On about a third of the cards, the art has been slightly recomposed to show more of the edges of it.

Interestingly, most references to goblins, kobolds, and rangers have been removed or changed. Rangers are now referred to as woodsmen, more clearly referencing the ItL skill [and quite possibly cautiously avoiding the possible ire of the Tolkien estate). Some references to goblins have been changed to orcs, and others are just more generic.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
larsdangly

I'm really enjoying the card set; it is surprisingly dense with creative, gameable ideas. As a product, it feels similar in quality to the better class of 'random table' adventure seed products that have come out for the OSR (like the Dungeon Alphabet), but I prefer this format of a deck of cards. It is both easier and funner to draw a card (as opposed to paging through a book and rolling on a table, which is more time consuming and kind of takes you out of your 'flow' at the table). Perhaps this is already the plan, but I'm struck by the great potential for using this sort of format as a way to introduce to TFT something of the game play experience of Munchkin or other card based games. Such a hybrid would have a much zippier and free-wheeling feel than a conventional scripted table top roleplaying adventure, yet the schematic nature of the adventure seeds means a lot of GM creativity and decision making is still called for. It's just more akin to improv and less like narrating a TV episode.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm really enjoying the card set; it is surprisingly dense with creative, gameable ideas. As a product, it feels similar in quality to the better class of 'random table' adventure seed products that have come out for the OSR (like the Dungeon Alphabet), but I prefer this format of a deck of cards.
These days, I prefer decks to tables for a few reasons:

* You can remove a card from a deck once it has been used.
* You can shuffle new cards into an existing deck.

Card decks give them GM more control over the "random table."
Old 08-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
larsdangly

Good points. These are among the reasons why the 'value per card' of a deck feels like it grows with the size of the deck - a kind of exponential growth in how much you like your deck. This obviously raises the question of how much the range of related products will grow over time. Rumors and Treasures from DoD will contribute to this general sort of capability. But the description of these in the kickstarter campaign sounds like they will fill different roles from the wilderness cards. Might we see things that resemble wilderness cards but are for cities or dungeons?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Might we see things that resemble wilderness cards but are for cities or dungeons?
Possibly. There have been some discussions about future decks, but nothing on the schedule at the moment.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
randiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
These days, I prefer decks to tables for a few reasons:

* You can remove a card from a deck once it has been used.
* You can shuffle new cards into an existing deck.

Card decks give them GM more control over the "random table."
This is true when you want a linear result, where the chance of selecting any particular result is the same. In that case it doesn't matter whether you roll a 20-sided die or pull from a deck of 20 cards.

But what about cases where you want weighted results? For example, many encounter tables will sum 2 or 3 6-sided dice to determine the row. The results in the middle are most likely to occur and the one's on the edges are the least likely.

What are some ways to do something similar with cards? Obviously, multiple copies of some cards could do that, if you have access to them. Other ideas?
randiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #19
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randiv View Post
This is true when you want a linear result, where the chance of selecting any particular result is the same. In that case it doesn't matter whether you roll a 20-sided die or pull from a deck of 20 cards.

But what about cases where you want weighted results? For example, many encounter tables will sum 2 or 3 6-sided dice to determine the row. The results in the middle are most likely to occur and the one's on the edges are the least likely.

What are some ways to do something similar with cards? Obviously, multiple copies of some cards could do that, if you have access to them. Other ideas?
Split the Deck into two or more piles depending on the desired frequency/likelihood. Then roll a dice:

2 piles: 1-4 likely pile. 5-6 less likely pile.
3 piles: 1-3 likely pile, 3-5 less likely pile, 6 unlikely pile.

Something like that.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randiv View Post
Obviously, multiple copies of some cards could do that, if you have access to them.
That is how I would handle it. If I wanted to manipulate a deck, as a designer, I would include multiple instances of the same card in the deck.