Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
zot

Default Simple rules for social (and other) conflicts and contests

I made a small system to handle contests that don’t involve particular attribute. It works with TFT characters as they are, without adding any extra attributes, point pools, etc. The idea is to handle social and professional contests, like bargaining, interrogation, seduction, etc. in a more detailed way. For example, for social situations dependent on your standing in society, GMs might normally use IQ, but IQ 18 wizards aren't necessarily tactful and they need a high IQ for their magic. Why should they be better at social things?

Another function of this is to create a way to combine real role playing with real mechanics (see ‘Role Playing the “Dice Script”’ in the document). It “puts the game into the role playing" and makes it easier for players to play characters with different social skills than they actually have so they don’t have to be suave to play a suave character.

Also, I'm including a little framework for contests which you can use either with or without attributes and you can also use the rules for multiple-step tasks with days or weeks in between the steps. Contests and tasks can also, of course, use attribute rolls in addition to non-attribute rolls.

I'm hoping this little system will help make social and professional talents more useful and important and also inspire people to create many more interesting social and professional talents.

Please let me know what you think. I worked hard to make this fit comfortably into TFT. In my opinion, it should be about the same complexity as regular TFT attribute rolls (except without the attributes).

Here's the doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by zot; 06-19-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Attempt to rename thread more accurately
zot is offline   Reply With Quote