Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
aesir23

Default Re: Feints don't make sense to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocharuk View Post
the whole point of a feint is to fake out your opponent and then immediately zig when he zags.
What you're describing there does happen, but it must be resolved as an All-Out Attack (Feint and Attack) or a Rapid Strike with one of the attacks replaced with a Feint, or using the rules for a Spinning Attack. (or simply a deceptive attack).

All other feints (imho) can be viewed as longer set-ups involving manuevering your opponent into a particular position, presenting a false opening (as daniel_gudman suggests), etc....
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Things that any individual might call a feint or setup can be resolved in many ways with GURPS. Look up (in Basic and Martial Arts):

Wait (MA p. 108) to interrupt someone when an action is triggered, though this happens on your own turn.

Stop Hit (MA p. 108) to gamble that you can hit him as he tries to hit you; this is a Wait variant.

Deceptive Attack (p. B369, MA p. 111) to be tricky or fast on your own attack, making that blow hard to parry.

Counterattack (MA p. 70) is basically a fixed version of Deceptive Attack, that you can only use after a successful active defense. You roll at a penalty (it's a technique; you can buy it off) and your foe takes a fixed penalty on your attack.

Riposte (MA p. 125) to take a penalty to your own parry in order to give your next attack a penalty to defend against. This can be combined with a Feint.

Feint (p. B365, MA p. 73 and p. 100-101) to make a longer term setup on someone. You do something on your turn, he does something theoretically predictable, and then you nail him. You may make ST-based Feints (Beats) and IQ-based Feints (Ruses) as well.

Defensive Feint (MA p. 101) to make it harder for him to hit YOU instead of making it harder or him to defend against your next attack.

Some or all of these will cover the options you're looking for.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
President NotSure

thanks for that feint-index, Doug ! Now I know where to put in some markers - we got two fencers in the party, so this comes ibn quite handy.
President NotSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by President NotSure View Post
thanks for that feint-index, Doug ! Now I know where to put in some markers - we got two fencers in the party, so this comes ibn quite handy.
Let's just say I've had recent reason to get familiar with all of these. :-)

And I'll admit that I kind of like the approach I took here, which allows a Feint margin of victory to be applied as you like over the remainder of your turn and into your next. It's a bit more complicated to track, but with pennies, poker chips, or a Munchkin Level Counter, you could easily deal with it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feints, martial arts, technical feinting