Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 05:48 AM   #1
Taneli

Default Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just trolling?

See the video for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYPzIoOIMk&t=819s
Old 05-25-2023, 06:18 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Somebody else pointed to the report to stakeholders (http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/) where this line was mentioned:

"Confidential unnumbered priority: Announce (maybe at Gen Con!) the Seekret Projekt that we have been working on for the past couple of years!"

Also it's good to note that Dr Kromm has been working on at least half a dozen different Seekret Projekts over time as per: https://dr-kromm.dreamwidth.org/272562.html for instance.

Dr Kromm being involved I think automatically means that it's GURPS related, right?
Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM   #3
TGLS

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Dr Kromm being involved I think automatically means that it's GURPS related, right?
Just because there are multiple projects referred to as secret projects doesn't mean that they're all the same secret project. I mean, given the whole "What do you want to see in a fifth edition" marketing stunt recently I am extremely skeptical anything resembling a fifth edition will be announced recently.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:29 AM   #4
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Just because there are multiple projects referred to as secret projects doesn't mean that they're all the same secret project.
The references to 'sekreet projekts' might just mean that they have watched 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension' almost as many times as I.

That is a truly unhealthy number!
Old 05-25-2023, 06:30 AM   #5
Taneli

Quote:
Just because there are multiple projects referred to as secret projects doesn't mean that they're all the same secret project. I mean, given the whole "What do you want to see in a fifth edition" marketing stunt recently I am extremely skeptical anything resembling a fifth edition will be announced recently.
That is true, I am however sceptical about the "seekret projetks" not being about the same thing.

Oh well, whatever it is, I hope it's about GURPS, and that it'll be glorious!
Old 05-25-2023, 06:41 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
That is true, I am however sceptical about the "seekret projetks" not being about the same thing.

Oh well, whatever it is, I hope it's about GURPS, and that it'll be glorious!
SJGames has a diverse product line and Gurps is a relatively small part of it. To be blunt they make more money from other things and Steve's labors in recent years have usually been on the non-Gurps parts.

One of Dr. Kromm's "sekrit projetks" could be any pdf release not fully announced or even teased by Author and Title. That's the secret part. When they are fully announced they aren't secret any more.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:55 AM   #7
SilvercatMoonpaw

I would think it makes more sense not to release a new edition so they can keep selling 4e products even to newbies.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
I mean, given the whole "What do you want to see in a fifth edition" marketing stunt recently I am extremely skeptical anything resembling a fifth edition will be announced recently.
If they've been secretly working on a new edition for two years, January of this year (the TikTok video) seems a bit late to be soliciting suggestions on what it should be like.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:38 AM   #9
Anders

All good things come to those who wait... I doubt we'll be getting a 5th edition, but I've been wrong before.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:19 AM   #10
DangerousDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I would think it makes more sense not to release a new edition so they can keep selling 4e products even to newbies.
They could do something like a rewrite but keep the edition number the same. I know that the basic rule books have been criticized for leading off with chargen, instead of describing the core mechanics in some quarters. They could revamp the art as well, that always seemed a bit flat compared to other 4e books IMHO.

edit: of course they'd have to keep the rules mostly the same. Just reordering the content, and rewording where necessary.
Closed Thread