Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-05-2023, 09:08 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: I Smell a Rat: Rune-Lined Hallway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In the original Gen Con sessions, the groups who went through the dungeon came up with novel proposals for how to deal with this area, and I went with their ideas. It does say, "Disarm: No, unless the GM permits Cleansing (Exploits, p. 24)." One group tried exactly that. I forget whether they used Theology with Seeking Guidance (Exploits, p. 90) to get a hint from me.
I remember it was my holy warrior who used Exorcism (I think with Contingency Casting) to cleanse the runes, and we got away with it pretty scot-free due to favorable wandering monster rolls: it took a long time, but no one showed up to punish us for our dilly-dallying.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:14 AM   #12
mburr0003

Quote:
It says "Once per visit." That means each time you enter area #5 from area #3 or area #6. It doesn't say "per second," "each turn," or anything else that would imply repeated damage over time.
Any word on when someone might have a free minute to put up some Errata pages?

Yeah, yeah, I know, SJG doesn't do that anymore. Really stings for those of us who've bought only printed copies of things released the last decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It does not say that in my copy, was it errata'd?
No. Reprinted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Nitpick: there's no siege beast in (vanilla) I Smell A Rat.
Sword-armor golem, my bad. The two tend to get confused, especially when I don't revisit the material and just go off memory. I just remember that everyone who fought (twice as a PC and once as a GM running it) that it was "siege-beast" levels of rough due to the very high armor DR (everyone I've played with has either hated siege-beasts because of the high armor and decent damage they do, or ignored them because the Mind Mage just wiped them out).
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #13
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Sword-armor golem, my bad. The two tend to get confused, especially when I don't revisit the material and just go off memory. I just remember that everyone who fought (twice as a PC and once as a GM running it) that it was "siege-beast" levels of rough due to the very high armor DR (everyone I've played with has either hated siege-beasts because of the high armor and decent damage they do, or ignored them because the Mind Mage just wiped them out).
Oho! Yeah, golem-armor swordsmen are very tough to kill, much harder than Siege Beasts. Due to the clause about "when the flesh golem is slain, the armor reanimates on its own as an 'armor golem' and must be destroyed a second time" and the obvious Cyberdyne T-800 reference, I give the reanimated form No Eyes and Homogeneous as well, so you have to beat that DR 17 instead of bypassing it with eyeshots or armor chinks.

Fortunately they're also quite slow (Move 2) and easily evaded. If you left the lock intact you may be able to even just lock it back up again in it's cell.

Count me as one of the haters, but I love to give players problems that I hate, so I'm a lover and a hater both.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:33 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
In the original Gen Con sessions, the groups who went through the dungeon came up with novel proposals for how to deal with this area, and I went with their ideas. It does say, "Disarm: No, unless the GM permits Cleansing (Exploits, p. 24)." One group tried exactly that. I forget whether they used Theology with Seeking Guidance (Exploits, p. 90) to get a hint from me.

Both groups had expert thaumatologists who warned of the danger when the door was opened. They learned about selling their soul, but nobody wanted to do that.

Three of the pre-gens have Shape Earth, too. Nobody tried it, but it would've been an option if they were willing to spend lots of time casting and recovering (~14 cubic yards, so 84 energy because it's explicitly worked stone . . .), and mostly likely meeting wandering monsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I remember it was my holy warrior who used Exorcism (I think with Contingency Casting) to cleanse the runes, and we got away with it pretty scot-free due to favorable wandering monster rolls: it took a long time, but no one showed up to punish us for our dilly-dallying.
It was. I think we started with the idea that we could chip our way through and then Doug was like "If only we had a wheelbarrow. That'd be something." Then we had the shared cleric PC and Doug's character destroy it and it wasn't a crit, but it was a SUPER low roll. Worked great.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #15
Dalin

When I ran this for some beginning players, the runed hallway was Ælin Rock-Talker's moment to shine. We determined that behind the stone of the hall was mostly earth, so he carved an expensive hole in the wall and then mined a relatively cheap tunnel parallel to the runes. Then one more expensive hole at the end. It wiped out most of his FP, but the rest of the party thought it was well-worth it.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:25 AM   #16
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
When I ran this for some beginning players, the runed hallway was Ælin Rock-Talker's moment to shine. We determined that behind the stone of the hall was mostly earth, so he carved an expensive hole in the wall and then mined a relatively cheap tunnel parallel to the runes. Then one more expensive hole at the end. It wiped out most of his FP, but the rest of the party thought it was well-worth it.
If it were me, I wouldn't bother mining out a whole parallel tunnel. I'd just move about a 6 inch slice of the west wall onto the east wall (assuming the runes are carved into the walls). Then when the peshkali shows up, wrap it in stone too.

If you do mine out a tunnel, you can close off the tunnel mouth to mostly avoid random encounters, too.

Shape Earth is such a great spell.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:02 PM   #17
mburr0003

Quote:
Then when the peshkali shows up, wrap it in stone too.
Moved earth doesn't move fast enough to attack with it. The Peshkali wold need to be either immobilized or dumb enough to stand around while stone slowly (Move 1) climbed up her.

I've gotten away with it by wrapping golems 'disguised' as statues and such, mostly because the 'trap' trigger wasn't "stone slowly engulfing them" and the golems weren't programmed to deal with that (presumably failed IQ rolls).

Now, I would allow a canny Earth Wizard to set up deadfall traps but moving a slab of stone to the ceiling, maintaining, and then making it "let go" of the ceiling and fall on enemies. I've done this back in the 3e days, but I've never seen a caster do it in my games, even when they've had the chance to set up traps. Most like to go the way of "dig a very deep hole, make a super thin cover, drop cover when enemies are on it, close hole over enemies." Which also works.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:20 PM   #18
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Moved earth doesn't move fast enough to attack with it. The Peshkali wold need to be either immobilized or dumb enough to stand around while stone slowly (Move 1) climbed up her.
It's still a threat she has to honor. I'm not saying that having a moving wall trivializes the Peshkali; but you can cut off her retreat or constrain the ways she can use her step/possibly force her into a Move and Attack instead of an Attack. Not a bad use of your concentration, if you're a druid.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:14 AM   #19
mburr0003

Quote:
Not a bad use of your concentration, if you're a druid.
It is a good way for them to contribute at that.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:42 PM   #20
WhiteLily

Would a Dispel Magic from AELin Rock-Talker also have worked?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote