Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
thom

Default Stats for a Resist Paralysis Spell?

So after a near-TPK where it came down to the last standing PC spending a CP to make his HT roll vs. the last ghoul (using Peter V. Dell'Orto's stats-thanks BTW!) and then killing?/destroying it; the wizard (naturally) asked: Where can I learn the Resist Paralysis spell?

...Annnnd I had no answer. I've searched these forums high and low, and can't even find a Resistant (Paralysis)) advantage, much less the spell. I've thought about copying the numbers from the other Resist Spells, but I thought I'd check with the Hivemind for ideas. How have y'all handled this?

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:29 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Stats for a Resist Paralysis Spell?

Problem is that you generally have resistance to causes, not effects, and D&D doesn't explain the cause of the paralysis.

My guess is that cinematic super-tetanus, in which case resistant to disease would do the job; the fact that ghouls are a classic infectious threat also argues for disease. It could also be a poison, or it could be a magical effect.

There is the option of Delay plus Stop Paralysis.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:05 PM   #3
mburr0003

I'd say look at both Resist Poison and Resist Disease, note they are functionally identical... and then just make Resist Paralysis and make it the same as those two.

However, it should take some doing to learn, they'd have to find the one Cleric off doing his own dangerous research and convince them to share their knowledge. Sounds like a quest.

But also note those two spells I mentioned? They're Cleric spells. The only way for a Wizard to learn them is to have a shift in profession (unless you've house ruled stuff, which is cool).
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:51 PM   #4
Rhino

Cast Vigor to increase HT and hence chance to resist.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:46 AM   #5
Anders

Seems to be a subset of disease or poison to me. I would give +2 or even +3 to resist per point put into a Resistant to Paralysis advantage.

As for a spell... I would say a cost of 3 (2 to maintain) and Clerical PI 2 would seem appropriate. Casting time... 10 seconds. It's useful as a pre-combat buff spell, but not a spell cast during combat. That would imply a duration of maybe ten minutes.

Something like that.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
thom

Thanks for all the replies! Rhino, you're right, casting Vigor on the front-line fighters is probably the best way to go. I also ran across a (very old) post by Kromm talking about elven immunity to ghoul paralysis, wherein he suggested Immunity (Paralysis) [5].

And I found this in DF9:
Resistant to Supernatural Abilities of the Undead (+3) or (+8) (PM, -10%) [3 or 5].

So I might tinker with that. The group doesn't have a cleric (which is why the wizard was asking) so it seems the spell option won't work (at least for now).

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:09 AM   #7
Rhino

Perhaps they can buy some Vitality potions or universal scrolls.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #8
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Rhino, you're right, casting Vigor on the front-line fighters is probably the best way to go. I also ran across a (very old) post by Kromm talking about elven immunity to ghoul paralysis, wherein he suggested Immunity (Paralysis) [5].
Depending on how "OG D&Desque" you want to go...

OG D&D Elven immunity to ghoul paralysis was because elves were 'immune to death effects*' and the ghoul's paralysis was a death/fear effect.

* I think somewhere along the way this morphed to "elves are positive energy and ghouls are negative energy, so elves are immune to ghoul paralysis, but not ghast (poison) paralysis". And I think it was "death-fear effects', not straight out 'death effects'.

Quote:
And I found this in DF9:
Resistant to Supernatural Abilities of the Undead (+3) or (+8) (PM, -10%) [3 or 5].
So ironically, this Advantage has more inline with OG D&D elven immunity to ghoul paralysis than anything else.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paralysis, spell