Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
jason taylor

Default Eccentric

This pictures someone who defies or manipulates stereotype with a flair and gains success in a strange niche.

Basically someone like this would use Charisma and/or Reputation to buy off Social Stigma, possibly to the point of turning it into Social Regard (like a woman in a male dominated warrior culture becoming idolized as a famous warleader). In effect the drama of the story would add to the process of overcoming Social Stigma.

Someone like this might be regarded as a "character" and held in affection for their oddness (the way some British politicians, authors, and adventures were).

A character can do this in the course of the Campaign. Alternately they can be assumed to have done so be for the campaign opens and simply assigned this in their character sheet.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Eccentric

I think that it can be represented by buying off Social Stigma (they are the exception that the dominant group uses to justify the rule) or through increasing net positive reaction modifiers (at a net +10, it really doesn't matter if you have a Social Stigma, as everyone likes you). Of course, eccentricity requires wealth, as you are otherwise just dangerously insane, which may be problematic with certain forms of Social Stigma. Depending on local laws, an individual with Social Stigma (Valuable Property) may or may not own their own property (slaves in Spanish Louisiana in 1802 could own property and purchase their own freedom, slaves in French Louisiana in 1803 could not, despite being the same territory only a year later).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I think that it can be represented by...increasing net positive reaction modifiers...
I tend to agree. I tend to think of someone who is thought of as eccentric as someone with some strange habits or mannerisms or who defies convention (in Gurps terms, these would be low-level OPH, I guess?) but who has other social advantages (charisma, wealth/ status, social regard) that allow the person to be liked in spite of their eccentricities.

Quote:
Of course, eccentricity requires wealth, as you are otherwise just dangerously insane, which may be problematic with certain forms of Social Stigma.
Strong disagree. Wealth isn't the only advantage that would mitigate eccentricities, in GURPS or in the real world.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

The harmless weirdo on the corner acts oddly, but he's just a "local character".

The local nutty inventor can get away with behavior that would get the cops called on anyone else. No wealth required.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The harmless weirdo on the corner acts oddly, but he's just a "local character".

The local nutty inventor can get away with behavior that would get the cops called on anyone else. No wealth required.
What do those work out to in GURPS terms? I imagine the first case is probably a Reputation vs Odious Personal Habit to balance out the reaction rolls. Same for the second?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
What do those work out to in GURPS terms? I imagine the first case is probably a Reputation vs Odious Personal Habit to balance out the reaction rolls. Same for the second?
Aside from not taking Social Stigma which would perhaps be appropriate for another character, there is also the Perk Passing Appearance, which can probably be re-purposed for any character who belongs to a group or type which could trigger Intolerance in NPCs.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Black Leviathan

I think it would depend a lot on the specific circumstances. If you're the town coot strangers will still find your oddball ways off-putting but once they get to know you, they accept your quirks, that's Charisma or Social Regard overcoming Odious Personal Habit.

If you're wealthy or attractive and you take Quirks that could be considered an Odious Personal Habit that would be the impact of very rich or very hot people having their faults overlooked.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Aside from not taking Social Stigma which would perhaps be appropriate for another character, there is also the Perk Passing Appearance, which can probably be re-purposed for any character who belongs to a group or type which could trigger Intolerance in NPCs.
Pretty much. The effect here isn't really "you can ignore the penalties of an OPH", it's you don't have a disadvantage but are allowed to describe your character as if you do. Being able to describe your character however you like without suffering penalties that logically should come from that description, or only suffering them when you want to, is an advantage, but a small one. Whether you opt to call it Passing Appearance, Controllable Disadvantage (social) or something else entirely it's a perk.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Social Chameleon seems to set a precedent for something similar with penalties for Status.