Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #31
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Playmat Variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Might I just suggest an existing source? How about all the different custom maps people have been creating for the Ogre Steam game. There are many Ogreists that are not computer gamers and this would give them a great opportunity to experience these ready made maps with scenartion.
...only thing is the STEAM Maps are fundamentally different than the Tabletop Maps in two ways:

* STEAM Maps have no #s on the hexes like the Tabletop Maps.

A workable fix is: Adding #s.

* STEAM Maps and the Tabletop Maps look different in artistic styles. STEAM Maps are more "realistic" while the Tabletop Maps are not.

A workable fix is: Making the STEAM Maps look the same in artistic style as the Tabletop Maps.

The other thing is:

As much as I like the STEAM printable Custom Maps feature, it requires some effort and knowledge about printing to make them print out at the size, ect, you want them to and mistakes/ miscalculations can become costly. This may prove to be a obstacle in having these Custom Maps actually made for some and they end up never really getting to a finished Custom printed Map unfortunately.

Maybe a viable option is for SJGs to create a Map Bashing Event where we can make Custom Maps on STEAM and then enter them. Then take a suuurvey or vote to see who all is actually interested in whichever particular Maps and those get printed by SJGs. The great bonus of this is, we get to draw from a deep well of inspired Map ideas that once collectively seen will then allow feedback so tweeks and adjustments could be made to get them all as close to a SJGs approved Map as possible.

Of course we would need some guidelines like Minimum/Maximum Map size, and other requirements made clear.

Currently we have 115 Custom Maps on STEAM.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...eitems&days=90

ALL OUT MADNESS https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...88&searchtext= may be the largest Map at 40x40 hexes
while SHELL SHOCK https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...29&searchtext= at 11x11 hexes is one of the smallest.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #32
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Despite my earlier objection to scenario specific playmats I realized I’d pay for a necromancer one for that one odd scenario
I'd also use it for Necromancer.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #33
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post

Currently we have 115 Custom Maps on STEAM.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...eitems&days=90
How do I download these? I'm graphic artist enough to resize maps with ease. All I need to know is "where's the download button"?
Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #34
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cundiff View Post
How do I download these? I'm graphic artist enough to resize maps with ease. All I need to know is "where's the download button"?
This may prove to be a obstacle in having these Custom Maps actually made for some and they end up never really getting to a finished Custom printed Map unfortunately.

Then clearly, this doesn't apply in your case.

And finally, to put too fine a point on my post, not everyone knows about or has OGRE on STEAM to print those Custom Maps. Not everyone is as inclined to print out Maps if they could just look at a image of one and order it through SJGs. I'm just kicking some ideas around to try and get more people into the game we all enjoy.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #35
Bowser

You guys are missing the boat when it comes to printing the Steam maps:

OgreMap2

You will have to re-create each map in OgreMap hex by hex, but it goes quickly, and you can output to any of various graphic files in several different sizes. And you can specify numbered hexes if you want.

Note that it was created mainly to print out at the original pocket box scale, so when it blows up to 6th Ed. scale, the graphics get a bit blurry, but . . .

You'll avoid having to futz around with scales and have a playable map very quickly. (And, IIRC, the max size is 99 rows by 99 columns of hexes!)

Bowser
Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I'd also use it for Necromancer.
Problem is, unless the hexes were made smaller it wouldn't even come close to fitting on the soft-cap 24"x24"...ending up 2 hexes wider, but a whopping 7 hexes shorter (16H vs 23H, and 19W vs 17W).

Doesn't mean I don't want it...on top of Badlands, imagine playing something like Black Knight there...but there are logistical problems needing solving; either we suck it up and pay a fortune for a 24x36" mat, or suck it up and deal with 1" hexes for that specific mat, or hope Steve and Drew can talk Phil into letting them offer it in mounted form if we manage to get a Battlefields II.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Oh, and as I've mentioned at various other times, I'm definitely down for a River Delta map suitable for archaic forces defending the Mekong or Amazon scenarios!
Nah. Clearly the purpose of that map is the attempt to eradicate Jean LaFitte and his GEV-Pirates in Louisiana.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #38
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
This may prove to be a obstacle in having these Custom Maps actually made for some and they end up never really getting to a finished Custom printed Map unfortunately.

Then clearly, this doesn't apply in your case.

And finally, to put too fine a point on my post, not everyone knows about or has OGRE on STEAM to print those Custom Maps. Not everyone is as inclined to print out Maps if they could just look at a image of one and order it through SJGs. I'm just kicking some ideas around to try and get more people into the game we all enjoy.
I take it you have to sign up for Steam and PAY for those maps when you download them, correct?
Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cundiff View Post
I take it you have to sign up for Steam and PAY for those maps when you download them, correct?
If you own the Ogre video game, it doesn't cost any extra. The game's got a map + scenario editor built in, and a lot of people have made stuff for it.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #40
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
If you own the Ogre video game
No joy there.