Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Playmat Variations

Hi, gang.

I'm back with a little unofficial market research. I've been playing around with the mats recently, as I plan the next versions, and a few ideas have popped into my head. So, I figured I check in with y'all and get some feedback.

Q1: Do you have an interest in variant playmat maps?

Q1a: Variant 1 would be to produce a map that features graphics depicting the terrain in winter conditions. As there are no official winter terrain rules, the map would play identically to the "summer" version; it would just look different. (That's not to say that an Ogrezine article of winter rules might not occur, but no promises!)

Q1b: Variant 2 would involve taking an established playmat map and depicting it in a majorly damaged condition with damaged Towns and Forest, Rubble, broken Roads and Rail, etc. There is lots of opportunity here, but I do not know if there is interest.

Q2: Conceding that there should be a new Ogre-style playmat map in the near future, which would you prefer to see generate a greater focus? Ogre maps or GEV maps?

So . . . what do you think?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Playmat Variations

Variant mats that don't affect gameplay don't seem attractive to me, simply because playmats are fairly expensive (especially with shipping outside the US). I'm much more interested in variations in play than the appearance of the board.

I find the GEV maps more interesting to play on, simply because there's more fun, albeit childish fun, in imagining blasting unspoiled terrain than bouncing rubble.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
Izzy_B

I spend a chunk of cash on Ogre stuff even when the shipping can cost more than the thing itself, here's my 2 Yen of opinion:

While its an interesting thought, the reality is probably that it doesnt really enhance gameplay. Even I bought them for completeness sake, I dont see that I'd get much use of them.

As for Ogre playmats, a playmate is $30 + shipping, for that money you can get a box of Ogre 6e with the hardback maps and you also get counters. Doesnt sound like a value.

Up to now, with the exception of M2 for Iron Mountain, playmats are a good value for me because they inspire spur of the moment scenarios for battle. We can already add damaged town hexes or change terrain with overlays.

In summary, no to season playmats and O1&2, yes to more GEV type maps.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Deimos

I'm going to echo the sentiment of the previous two posts. I'd get little to no use out of variants of existing maps, or more Ogre ones either.

When I sit down to play, which isn't very often, I prefer using the GEV maps and rules, as I find them more interesting. The current maps and scenarios will be able to provide me with a lot of entertainment for a long time, so ones that just look different would not be something I'd be interested in. Neither would "pre-damaged" ones. That's what we have a myriad of overlays for.

In prioritizing the purchases my limited gaming budget allows, I'd be much more inclined to favor new green maps over many other things. Especially if they geomorph with existing maps. Now as to whether those maps should be playmat or mapboard style is a discussion probably best left for another time.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
wolf90

You are all echoing my thoughts as well (see May 18 Ogre News). But I wanted to make sure I was on point.

Certainly if there are any other opinions, pro or con, I still want to hear them!

D
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Stabliser

1) maybe
1a) not so much
1b) well if we had a map with a reservoir and an alternate for after its destruction that might be an interesting pair with flooded cities and washed out bridges, but just adding destroyed city hexes and craters doesnt seem enough.

2)GEV maps all the way, I'd only play the basic scenario on the ogre map, GEV maps for everything else. (when I actually get to play these days)

I think theres a limit to how far SJG should take the playmats, at least in the short term. Too much at once seems to be where Im at just now (waiting for 2 lots of playmats and battlefields - Im not ready for more as Ive yet not seen these 3 recent items that Ive committed to)

I'd really like coastal maps and beachhead/landings scenarios. Its always felt like a missing part for moving ogre to a campaign idea. But I'd rather see coastal maps as GEV board maps that ajoined G/S maps than as playmats.
Yeah Ive pushed the sea ogre idea before :)
Stabliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Mack_JB

As for all the iterations of Q1 -- no, I don't see me needing them, I'd prefer new maps in new configurations first, rather than artsy re-dos of existing maps.

For Q2, I'm all for new O maps, or GEV maps -- if they're new and add something. I'd still like the original Ogre map in neoprene, but know that's not currently likely (especially in one piece).

Any other new O map would perhaps have to blend the two art styles, maybe a transition orange to green region?
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Bowser

More playmats! But I agree with Stabliser as to the rate of playmat releases. My budget needs time to recover.

Winter GEV maps: They might be pretty, but since they do not affect they way they play, they'd be real low on my list. I would be VERY interested in official rules for winter/arctic/ice effects and then I would be VERY interested in such playmats.

Damaged GEV maps: Not much interest as we have the overlays. I like Stabliser's idea of a before and after dam/flood, though.

Orange Ogre maps: To do it justice, you'd have to issue this as a pair of playmats and the extra space could give additional utility that we have not seen, increasing its usefulness. But I've gone on and on about this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
1) maybe

I'd really like coastal maps and beachhead/landings scenarios. Its always felt like a missing part for moving ogre to a campaign idea. But I'd rather see coastal maps as GEV board maps that ajoined G/S maps than as playmats.
Yeah Ive pushed the sea ogre idea before :)
Oh, YES! If you haven't checked out Stabliser's massive coastal map, you should. (Stabliser: PM Wolf90 the link to it so he can see just how awesomely cool it is!)

Having said all that, my first priority would be a) green GEV maps that b) offer something "new" or unique (yes, harder and harder to do) and c) keep geomorphing with the existing playmats and/or "hardmaps". (Just don't forget about some possible new official arctic rules and then let's go "Icepick Wild"!

Bowser
Old 05-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Mallen the dark

While I love the neoprene maps, I too agree that to many to fast will burn out the market. I am mostly stocking up for when I find someone to play.

And I support GEV maps and border maps as suggested by Mack and others.

Last edited by Mallen the dark; 05-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
jfleisher

As an Ogre miniatures player, who uses Hexon terrain for the vast majority of games, I have little use for the play mats, however, I want to show my support for the continued expansion of this game, so I have been buying multiples of them.

So since I’m not a user of the play mats, take my opinion for what it’s worth. I feel the time and energy involved in making variant mats would be better spent working on other Ogre products. Overlays should work fine for making modifications to the existing mats.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com

Last edited by jfleisher; 05-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote