Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Racer

Default Uncle Albert 2038 Update Items Questions .

I had my copy approximately 4 months before it was stolen - amongst other items - by a supposed 'friend' in 1990 .

Despite a good memory there are a few items mentioned in it that IIRC appear in no later publications .

One such Item is 'Helicopter Electionics Bay' : if anyone can remind me of the exact stats it would be extremely useful .

Number of other 'New' items were in it but can't recall any others . Has anyone else have a list ?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Uncle Albert 2038 Update Items Questions .

I can't find anything resembling a Helicopter Electronics Bay in either the 2028 catalogue or the 2038 calendar?

A few of items changed to name in later rules with slightly different rules (e.g. High Intensity Optics became Pulse lasers, Metal Tires became Plasticores).

It looks to me like everything else ended up in Compendium 2.5. The only catalogue items that seemed to disappear without trace (including UACFH) were in the 2036 edition. We lost Miracle Missiles, AV ammo (which was admittedly overpowered*), Limpet Beacons (which still have a reference in 2.5 and UACFH but no listing), Thermite Limpet Mines and most of the gas plant accessories had to be re-designed after gas plants were amended from Duel Track.

*We have re-introduced AV Ammo but downgraded it by saying that it only promotes damage a single category i.e. Damage that only affect pedestrians (burst effects mainly) would affect pedestrians and tires, those that affect pedestrians and tires would do half damage to vehicular components and only weapons that would already inflict half damage do full damage with AV ammo. This is balanced as the 15x cost multiplier for ammunition for an AR for example becomes quite a burden. E.g. for an AR each shot would cost $225. Compare this to a HAVR which does 2 points more damage and only costs $10 per shot. It's great if you want the versatility (and slightly better accuracy), but it is not cost effective in the long run. This also means Light Pistol AV ammo is pointless as it is only promoted to doing half damage and you round half damage down.

We allow equivalency for any weapon or ammo (less rules to remember), so you can have an AV Grenade for example. This is a hefty $375 a pop, but it does full vehicular damage within 1/2" and damages unprotected tires out to 2" radius (like in the old days). See, Gramps wasn't lying, they don't make 'em like they used to and he could have taken out that truck with only a single pineapple.

Last edited by swordtart; 05-18-2019 at 05:43 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
One such Item is 'Helicopter Electionics Bay' : if anyone can remind me of the exact stats it would be extremely useful .
I think that this was in Autoduel Champions not Uncle Al's and it was required if you had multiple sensors or other electronic systems in a helicopter. I have no idea where my copy of ADC is.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Parody

Quote:
One such Item is 'Helicopter Electionics Bay' : if anyone can remind me of the exact stats it would be extremely useful.
Not seeing it. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I think that this was in Autoduel Champions not Uncle Al's and it was required if you had multiple sensors or other electronic systems in a helicopter.
Ah, there it is!

The Electronics Bay is an internal damage location that only exists if you have any of the DP-bearing electronics systems in the Autoduel Champions version of helicopters. Take anything electronic with DP, put in front of the Engine, and call it the Electronics Bay. If damage would be assigned to the Electronics Bay, do damage to one random component and then proceed on to the next location. When this happens, there's also a chance that the various other components in the Bay could be damaged (using a roll on an inline chart).

These items either lost their DP or became part of the other compartments in later Car Wars releases.

Last edited by Parody; 05-19-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
These items either lost their DP or became part of the other compartments in later Car Wars releases.
"Cargo", which is where most electronics on a chopper actually ended up (for ex.: The Lorne _Suppressor_ from _VG1_ -- yes, I actually had to math-out the entire design for "The Death Of EDSEL").

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
Racer

That helps greatly :-) I wonder if it's legal to Component Armour it ? Lol

Was also emailed , not with the stats but it did mention that an ADQ stated it was placed behind the Power Plant ? I take it that would place it in the Cargo Area of larger Choppers ? Which in itself would be rather useful ... original stats for Helicopters were cooked up so long ago they failed to take into account RLG , CACR & a multitude of future electronic goodies that weren't around yet ...
Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #7
swordtart

We need to be careful here. There are two types of "Cargo".

We have the Cargo Compartment for allocating damage. There are only 3 compartments, crew (which only contains crew), plant (which only contains the plant) and cargo which contains every other component plus any uninstalled CARGO (see below).

CARGO are uninstalled components (plus some vehicle components that hold only cargo - Bulk ammo boxes, beer fridges etc.). CARGO can go in either regular vehicle spaces or dedicated CARGO SPACES.

CARGO SPACES are specific spaces that can only hold CARGO, not for putting in installed components and are marked in brackets (the transport Helo has some).

For Helo's a variant rule allows/required Bottom and Back mounted Weapons to be installed in dedicated CARGO SPACES. This variant rule does not apply to other installed components.

So for example CACR which takes up two spaces cannot be mounted in CARGO SPACES but must be mounted in regular spaces (and is hit as per rotors). A Winch must be mounted in regular spaces, but is a candidate for damage if the Cargo compartment is hit. A stack of Bulk Ammo boxes can be carried in CARGO SPACES or regular spaces and is also a candidate for damage if the Cargo compartment is hit.

This has caused confusion in my regular group with ground vehicles that have CARGO SPACES, particularly with regard to gas engine fuel tanks. There was conflicting guidance on whether Fuel Tanks could be put in CARGO SPACES or not and whether it was in the Cargo compartment or the Plant compartment. We say that it is an installed component and must use regular spaces and is in the Cargo compartment.

Passengers get complicated ;)

Last edited by swordtart; 05-20-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #8
swordtart

Quote:
That helps greatly :-) I wonder if it's legal to Component Armour it ? Lol.
We allow spaces to be CA at the cost and weight requirements for the spaces they contain. E.g. you leave 4 spaces in a Lux for cargo. You could CA three of the spaces for the cost/weight of 3-space CA (the fourth space is taken up by the CA itself. Any cargo you subsequently carry there is thus protected.

You can component armour any component (with DPs) regardless of whether it takes up space or not (but you pay as it it were 1 space).

We also allow "loose" CARGO components to be component armoured (in this case the space taken by the armour is external to the CARGO). The CA remains integral to the CARGO during shipping. We had some Killa Karts on a flat bed that each had a component armour shells to protect them (and prevent tampering) during transit. These shells enclosed the entire vehicle and thus prevented them being driven whilst within the CA (so they had to be craned on and off the flatbed rather than driven on). It is also a really expensive and heavy way of putting 10 points universal armour on a subcompact.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
Racer

In AADA sanctioned Events Fuel Tanks cannot be mounted in Cargo Spaces .
On the Road things are a little more flexible : As an ADQA stated a player CAN like in real life mount a Fuel Tank in the bed of his Pickup , but it won't be protected from attacks from above etc . We're happy to go with that in our groups , but I'd check with another GM before we played outside our normal circles .

Last edited by Racer; 05-20-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
43Supporter

Quote:
As an ADQA stated a player CAN like in real life mount a Fuel Tank in the bed of his Pickup , but it won't be protected from attacks from above etc .
I need to break out my writeup "Pickup Beds: Theory And Practice" -- it covers all the myriad possibilities for how a pickup bed can be configured (tonneau-type cover; actual camper shell; open bed; etc.).

Yes, every vehicle I've ever owned has been a Pickup -- how did you guess? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote