Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #71
owenmp

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Jeff Johnson's Space Gamer Blog has a large number of posts regarding playing Car Wars with the older sets of Car Wars rules. Jeff's content for Car Wars is worth reading.

Jeff "Jeffro" Johnson's Space Gaming Blog
http://jeffro.wordpress.com
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #72
industrialchild

Once again Owen, thank you for sharing your insight! Amazing! Oh, thank you for your PM to me also, I went to your fantastic website as a result and truly blown away by all of the priceless Car Wars information contained within! Your experience and extreme passion for this game is truly inspiring to me!

Thank you very much for taking the time to PM me and for your willingness to impart some of this knowledge onto me! That is priceless to me!
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #73
owenmp

industrialchild,

You are welcome. Although I have a large amount of content on my Web site, there have been several better Car Wars Web sites published over the past 20-plus years. A few include NOVA, SPARK, AVRO, CADC, and HVD. The first two are still on the Internet. The latter three disappeared from the Web over 10 years ago.

I miss the Web of 20 years ago when there multiple true search engines. I was able to find Car Wars information in the most obscure locations on the Internet using that arsenal of information searching weaponry. Using those multiple search engines is how I was able to create the my Web site and maintain its large number of hyperlinks for several years.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #74
owenmp

ckosacranoid,

If a Car Wars player is interested in having dragons in Car Wars, the player should watch the 2002 movie Reign of Fire, and create a Car Wars campaign based on that movie. Reign of Fire is a combination of post-nuclear survival, and low-tech, Chassis and Crossbow car combat, and dragons. I like the idea of a 0.50-caliber Heavy Machine-Gun (a weapon that would be Rare or Very Rare in a Reign of Fire game world) may not be enough firepower to take down a flying dragon.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #75
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
ckosacranoid,

If a Car Wars player is interested in having dragons in Car Wars, the player should watch the 2002 movie Reign of Fire, and create a Car Wars campaign based on that movie. Reign of Fire is a combination of post-nuclear survival, and low-tech, Chassis and Crossbow car combat, and dragons. I like the idea of a 0.50-caliber Heavy Machine-Gun (a weapon that would be Rare or Very Rare in a Reign of Fire game world) may not be enough firepower to take down a flying dragon.
Just don't make it too faithful an emulation of the film or it will be a really short campaign.

Technobarbarian > "I come with many tanks and cars to slay the dragon."

Survivors >"Hooray!"

Dragon > "Woomf!"

Technobarbarian > "I haven't got any tanks or cars so I am going back to my massive axe"

If memory serves DRAGON* magazine ran a series called the "Dragon Project" where rules for dragons were cross-genre inserted into other game systems. I am pretty sure that Car Wars was one of them.

* Other RPG magazines are available :)

Last edited by swordtart; 02-05-2019 at 06:16 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #76
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
If memory serves DRAGON* magazine ran a series called the "Dragon Project" where rules for dragons were cross-genre inserted into other game systems. I am pretty sure that Car Wars was one of them.
Yes, by Allan Varney in #204. A development of alligator farming…

LEM STUCKER'S
DRAGON FARM
Best in the South!
50 MILES STRAIGHT AHEAD
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #77
Chris Goodwin

There was Autoduel Quarterly 6/1 with "Dragons in Car Wars"...

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #78
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Yes, by Allan Varney in #204. A development of alligator farming…

LEM STUCKER'S
DRAGON FARM
Best in the South!
50 MILES STRAIGHT AHEAD
That's the fella.

My campaign was run in Florida, so that article became a spring board of research into the economics of Alligator farming ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #79
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
I cannot speak for SJ Games, but the six AutoVentures will likely never be reprinted. The supplements were unauthorized by the three companies that produced the three games AutoVentures supported (Car Wars, Battlecars, and Highway 2000). Aaron Allston passing away is also another barrier to reprinting those excellent supplements.
IANAL. As I understand it, TSR v. Mayfair established that licensure is not a requisite for 3rd party supplements.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #80
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
IANAL. As I understand it, TSR v. Mayfair established that licensure is not a requisite for 3rd party supplements.
I should think a bigger problem is: At least two of the three games Autoventures covered haven't been in-print for cursed-near three *decades* now. (I know whoever made _Highway 2000_ hasn't existed in that long.) IMSMC: _Autoventures_ was published by Amarillo Design Bureau/Task Force Games; and they still exist in some form....

At any rate: If they can be found, _AV _Hell On Wheels_, _Street Fighter_, and _The Gauntlet_ do allow for RP.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.

Last edited by 43Supporter; 02-07-2019 at 04:55 PM.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote