Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
A man commonly written off as a pathetic loser who attracts the desire of a kindly woman ten years his junior who is quite happy about the prospect of being the primary breadwinner.
Ooh. When we see one older individual with a much younger attractive individual, we usually hear lying gold-digger and/or delusional infatuated elder. But what if they're happy and neither are jerks? They aren't in eternal life long love, but have no problem with that.
PCs that try to "enlighten" one just a get giant, "Duh!"

There's also the ever common infidelity issue. Perhaps while their society frowns on it, both know about the affairs and aren't bothered by it. Revealing it may make a serious enemy of both parties.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 09-19-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #52
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
A man commonly written off as a pathetic loser who attracts the desire of a kindly woman ten years his junior who is quite happy about the prospect of being the primary breadwinner.
That's quite a lot of modern Hollywood films, more or less - at the very least, a pathetic slob of a manchild who wants nothing more than to sit around, smoke weed, and play video games all day, "wins" a supermodel who doesn't require him to change his life in any way.

If you want to challenge stereotypes, try having a woman who's older than the man in the relationship.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #53
WaterAndWindSpirit

The sexually promiscuous teen who is the most moral of the cast (refusing to take advantage of anyone, as seen when she could have made quite good money by exploiting someone's forgetfulness as she returned his wallet full of cash), and is the sole survivor of the horror story as she has seen enough horror movies to know what mistakes to avoid making against the serial killer/werewolf/whatever.

The holier-than-though Christian virgin until marriage who harasses anyone she considers a sinner (pretty much everyone), has stolen a wallet in circumstances similar to the first girl, possibly from the same man, and ends up the first victim of the serial killer/werewolf/murderer as she refused to cooperate with the cast of "sinners", especially the aforementioned sexually promiscuous girl.

The Slasher Movie villain who gets killed by his first victim because he failed to start up his chainsaw and the "victim" had the time to grab a chair and bust his skull.

The Slasher Movie villain who started up the chainsaw in advance and gets ambushed by his targets. Well, genius, did you really think you could sneak up on anyone with a chainsaw that could be heard anywhere in a two miles radius around you?

The Slasher Movie protagonist who hits the serial killer, causing him to fall to the ground... And pounds him into paste before he can get up and kill him/her.

The female slasher movie villain. Just take any slasher movie villain, and make him female without changing much else.

The slasher movie villain who actually uses a practical (improvised) weapon.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #54
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post

(SNIP)

The Slasher Movie protagonist who hits the serial killer, causing him to fall to the ground... And pounds him into paste before he can get up and kill him/her.

(SNIP)
Joss Whedon made a pretty good living from this particular idea, for awhile....
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #55
RyanW

Quote:
The slasher movie villain who actually uses a practical (improvised) weapon.
Jason (along with The Killer from Too Many Cooks) used a fairly practical machete as his signature weapon.

How about a jock who is friendly to most everyone and enjoys a nice mani-pedi?

Or the nerd with a crush on the cheerleader, who realizes a) the cheerleader and jock are together because they genuinely care for each other, b) he's being a bit of an ass trying to steal another guy's girl, and c) his (failed) attempt to trick her into thinking she was with her boyfriend is borderline rape. (Revenge of the Nerds is pretty horrifying when you think about it)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #56
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A Christian who isn't holier-than-thou but still open about their faith

Seriously Hollywood.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #57
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok, how is a cenobite different from a monk? A shallow search of the internet seems to indicate they are a style of monk rather than an alternative.
Canon law treats them, hermits, and others differently.

Monk is, secularly, misused to include them.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #58
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A Christian who isn't holier-than-thou but still open about their faith

Seriously Hollywood.
I'm way too chicken to GM, but have always known I would include just such a parish priest as a background character. No matter how clearly I make him exactly what he seems, anyone that knows me will expect the other shoe to drop. Demonic cultist, psychopath, politician... in general some form of hypocrite or big bad.
(Too many confuse a dislike of religion with dislike for all religious people so may expect me to never use such a normal stand up guy. Kind of seeing him as a Chekhov's gun that's never fired.)
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #59
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
The female slasher movie villain. Just take any slasher movie villain, and make him female without changing much else.
Most slasher villains exhibit superhuman strength and resiliency that for whatever reason is considered more acceptable for males to have.
Even for Buffy, you may have noticed that she only honestly showed her strength for comedic effect. It was silly not scary even if no less plausible than human monsters popping heads like zits. Impossible is impossible, except when it's image biased.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #60
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Jason (along with The Killer from Too Many Cooks) used a fairly practical machete as his signature weapon.

How about a jock who is friendly to most everyone and enjoys a nice mani-pedi?

Or the nerd with a crush on the cheerleader, who realizes a) the cheerleader and jock are together because they genuinely care for each other, b) he's being a bit of an ass trying to steal another guy's girl, and c) his (failed) attempt to trick her into thinking she was with her boyfriend is borderline rape. (Revenge of the Nerds is pretty horrifying when you think about it)
Buddy movie concept: the occasionally picked on hetero but slightly effeminate footballer gets consoled and becomes friends with the in the closet but not hiding any "girly" qualities quarterback. And he does NOT have a crush on the hetero.

Everything about Revenge is horrifying to us now as it really should have been back then. Exposing a 12 year old to hidden perv camera footage? Yikes. (I will always remember that one woman that very nearly beat Ogre in arm wrestling.)