Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Converting other games: What's your style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I have run into this in Warhammer 40k. SLA Industries. Starcraft. And numerous generic sci-fi settings where you have the heroes in power-armours supposed to fight "enemies without guns".

One solution is to simple give everything AD on their natural attacks. But thats somtimes feels forced. It's perfectly reasonable for a wh40k genestealer. But makes less sense for a wh40k ork with a 'chopper' or a SLA Industries carrien.

To be fair, warhammer orks do support that kind of silliness in their fluff, if you dig down into it, what with the WAGH!! Most monsters designed to go up against power armor foes either have the numbers and damage capability to do it, or they are from a universe where power armor is about as good as a leather jacket.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #32
AlexanderHowl

I would just give Orks versions of Gadgeteer and Imbue that works with any form of technology and give them a bonus to the skills related to each equal to the log10 of the Orks involved in their Horde.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #33
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
When it comes to Shadowrun, I avoid GURPS Magic and just use my own type (GURPS Magic is horribly underpowered compared to Shadowrun Magic in most cases). Magic becomes a 10 CP/level advantage, with every spell being an advantage that costs 5 CP. Mages use Ritual Magic, with every type of spell and every type of spirit being its Path (as well as Assensing, Astral Projection, Enchanting, etc.). Mages use 10 plus Magic as their magical attribute.

Mages may lose FP if they cast a spell with a Force equal to or less than their Magic or HP if they case a spell with a Force grester than their Magic (up to twice their Magic). When a mages cast a spell, they experience a FP cost equal to the Drain of the spell (HP if they are casting at a Force above their Magic), but they reduce the cost by their margin of success on a successful Ritual Magic roll.

The Force and nature of a spell determines its effects. Combat spells deal 1d per point of Force. Each spell possesses modifiers that influence its Drain. Every +50% of enhancements increases Drain by 1 while every -20% limitation decreases Drain by 1.
The thing is thanks Unlimited Mana one can skip all this and simply have a high Threshold with a high Recovery Rate with any energy caps on spells removed. Throw in the GURPS Technomancer spells and things get even more insane.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #34
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The thing is thanks Unlimited Mana one can skip all this and simply have a high Threshold with a high Recovery Rate with any energy caps on spells removed. Throw in the GURPS Technomancer spells and things get even more insane.
Ot you could avoid the limiting factors of Unlimited Mana and the complications of reducing its' limits and just use regular Magic.

Regular Mages can already cast spells until they're unconscious or even dead and like Shadowrun Drain the points come back faster than on a daily basis. Juggling your Gurps fP can actually be a lot like being careful with your SR Force levels to not overextend yourself.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
When it comes to Shadowrun, I avoid GURPS Magic and just use my own type (GURPS Magic is horribly underpowered compared to Shadowrun Magic in most cases). Magic becomes a 10 CP/level advantage, with every spell being an advantage that costs 5 CP. Mages use Ritual Magic, with every type of spell and every type of spirit being its Path (as well as Assensing, Astral Projection, Enchanting, etc.). Mages use 10 plus Magic as their magical attribute.

Mages may lose FP if they cast a spell with a Force equal to or less than their Magic or HP if they case a spell with a Force grester than their Magic (up to twice their Magic). When a mages cast a spell, they experience a FP cost equal to the Drain of the spell (HP if they are casting at a Force above their Magic), but they reduce the cost by their margin of success on a successful Ritual Magic roll.

The Force and nature of a spell determines its effects. Combat spells deal 1d per point of Force. Each spell possesses modifiers that influence its Drain. Every +50% of enhancements increases Drain by 1 while every -20% limitation decreases Drain by 1.
I used Path/Book Magic, with the five Shadowrun categories as paths (but you can't cast from default). Choose a Force when you learn a spell (each +1 to Force equates to a -1 to the default you learn the spell from, making it more expensive to buy it at the same level as lower-Force spells).

I like the idea of margin of casting roll reducing drain, though.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #36
AlexanderHowl

The thing about GURPS Magic is that it is not comparable to Shadowrun 4e Magic. In Shadowrun 4e, a mage is capable of casting an attack spell that is capable of attacking the soul of someone from 10 miles away without any penalty and without being effected by armor. Oh, and they can do that while in their Astral Form without any penalties to their rolls by manifesting on the material plane. If you want to duplicate Shadowrun capabilities, I find that it is best to graft Shadowrun 4e Augmentation, Essence, Magic, Matrix, etc. rules to GURPS and forget about the GURPS equivalents.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions