Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
tbone

Default Social Stigma (Minority Group) vs Social Stigma (Savage)

Social Stigma (Minority Group): -2 reactions from nearly everyone, in or outside of the dungeon.

Social Stigma (Savage): Same as above, but also -4 skill rolls in negotiations, and a chance of being barred from entering town.

Social Stigma (Savage) is notably more severe than Social Stigma (Minority Group), but the disadvantage value is the same for either.

Am I missing some other difference between the two?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Social Stigma (Minority Group) vs Social Stigma (Savage)

All your questions are answered over in this thread in the general GURPS forum.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Social Stigma (Minority Group): -2 reactions from nearly everyone, in or outside of the dungeon.

Social Stigma (Savage): Same as above, but also -4 skill rolls in negotiations, and a chance of being barred from entering town.

Social Stigma (Savage) is notably more severe than Social Stigma (Minority Group), but the disadvantage value is the same for either.

Am I missing some other difference between the two?
A savage can be a conqueror but remain a savage. A slave can be civilized but remain a slave. Even the most invertate anti-semites seldom dream of adding barbaric to the list of vices attributed to Jews. Whereas few question that Timur the Lame is a savage wherever he goes, but he is darn well gonna be a majority group even if he is the only majority!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

This came up before:

Social Stigma (Minority Group): -2 on reaction rolls for all purposes from everybody but those in your minority group.

Social Stigma (Savage): -2 on reaction rolls and -4 on skill rolls for negotiations from everybody but those of your kind, and 6 or less chance of being barred from town.

The key is "for all purposes" vs. "for negotiations." Savage is "not civilized, so not trusted to enter town and do business," while Minority Group is "not well-liked in the game world (but still civilized, so people will do business with you because your money is good)." They don't have the same impact. Minority Group is roughly equivalent to No Sense of Humor or a severe Odious Personal Habit, and means people find you unpleasant; Savage is similar in effect to losing a level of Wealth, as it makes it hard to negotiate for good prices, quest backing, quest rewards, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
tbone

Thanks, all. That clears it up.

(I searched this forum for "Social Stigma (Savage)" before posting, and for some reason got all of 3 hits, none relevant. Now, using the same search term (auto-populated in the search field from my first search), I get tons of hits. Go figure!)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Bruno

My recommendation is to use google instead;

add

site:forums.sjgames.com to your search and it will restrict the search to the forums here. So e.g.

"Social Stigma site:forums.sjgames.com"
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote