Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Hide

Default Questions regarding enemies (disadvantage)

I have been wondering…

When I pick an enemy of medium strength (-20 points), it should be at least 150% points of the PC’s starting points. But, then…
  1. What is the upper limit?
  2. What happens when the PC grows with the passage of time and he/she hasn’t vanquished the enemy?
  3. And if it is a medium group of enemies, what are the lower and upper limits for their character points?
  4. What happens when the PC kills the enemy?

Thank you!
- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Questions regarding enemies (disadvantage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
What is the upper limit?
There isn't one, but I'd probably say no more than 300% or so.

Quote:
What happens when the PC grows with the passage of time and he/she hasn’t vanquished the enemy?
The enemy also becomes stronger, maintaining the same relative difference. Note this also happens with Allies, who grow with the PC.

Quote:
And if it is a medium group of enemies, what are the lower and upper limits for their character points?
"Less powerful" implies they'd fall under the first classification of Enemy, for roughly 50% of the PC's points.

Quote:
What happens when the PC kills the enemy?
He either buys off the Disadvantage or gains a new one - perhaps killing the Dark Lord now means his lackeys are now after you hoping to bring him back by killing you.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
What happens when the PC kills the enemy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
He either buys off the Disadvantage or gains a new one - perhaps killing the Dark Lord now means his lackeys are now after you hoping to bring him back by killing you.
That, or a blood relative of the Dark Lord swears vengeance on the PC.

Note that these can be combined, if the player has points to buy down the Enemy disadvantage but not buy it off completely. The replacement Enemy is less powerful than the old Enemy.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Hide

I think I get it, but well... if this is a group of 20 people and they are "less powerful" (50% PC points or less), is it acceptable to give them a leader with at least 100% of the PC's CP?
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
I have been wondering…

When I pick an enemy of medium strength (-20 points), it should be at least 150% points of the PC’s starting points. But, then…

[*]What is the upper limit?
There is no upper limit. The higher levels of Enemy are groups, not individuals.
You could be playing a spunky girl reporter and your Enemy is an alien rocketed to Earth with all of Superman's powers but none of his fondness for humanity. It would still be a medium strength enemy as long as he didn't create an organization. Obviously at that level of mismatch the GM can't have Evil Superman be out to kill our girl reporter, but he doesn't have to want to kill her to be her Enemy.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think I get it, but well... if this is a group of 20 people and they are "less powerful" (50% PC points or less), is it acceptable to give them a leader with at least 100% of the PC's CP?
The rules don't really say one way or the other, but for -30 points, a medium-sized group (6-20) can include some formidable or superhuman individuals; the rank-and-file of the group presumably being as powerful as the PC.

By extension, I'd think a medium-sized group with the rank-and-file being less powerful than the PC could include some individuals who are as powerful as the PC. Since a small group (3-5) of enemies as powerful as the PC would be the equivalent of a medium-sized group of less powerful enemies, I'd say that there are only 1 or 2 such individuals in any medium group regardless of the base power level. When the enemy does appear, encountering 1 superior individual shouldn't be a common occurrence, and both individuals being present should be a rare occurrence.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #7
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There is no upper limit. The higher levels of Enemy are groups, not individuals.
You could be playing a spunky girl reporter and your Enemy is an alien rocketed to Earth with all of Superman's powers but none of his fondness for humanity. It would still be a medium strength enemy as long as he didn't create an organization. Obviously at that level of mismatch the GM can't have Evil Superman be out to kill our girl reporter, but he doesn't have to want to kill her to be her Enemy.
Heck, you could be 100% Lois, and Superman is still a Rival Enemy since he always somehow gets the scoop on the story before you (and also an Ally that saves your life when you fail to beat Kent).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote