Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Hazel

Default Transgender Munchkin?

So, one of my Munchkin aquaintances is transgender (male to female) and we've gotten in interesting situations with certain cards. So, I'd be very happy to get the answers to these questions!

1. What happens if (s)he fights the Amazon or another monster with similar effect? Does (s)he get the female effects or the male ones?

2. Just to mess with your mind, what if (s)he gets a "Curse! Sex Change"?

Hazel, signing out~
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Frenzied_Otter

Default Re: Transgender Munchkin?

The FAQ has something to say about this:

Quote:
Q. Is the initial sex of a character the same as the sex of the player, or can it be chosen?
A. The rules say to make it the same as that of the player. The designer has no objection to being overridden by house rules for cosplayers, the transgendered, or just people who draw a Class or Race card depicting the opposite sex. And note that a Munchkin or Unnatural Axe T-shirt will override your sex for game purposes. (People playing house rules that might lead to more-frequent gender alterations should remember the standard -5 penalty for changing sex . . .)
The intention seems to be that your character must be either male or female for the purposes of playing the game. Your friend would have to pick at the start of the game which one (s)he wanted to be.
Frenzied_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
Just to mess with your mind, what if (s)he gets a "Curse! Sex Change"?
I'm afraid this has come up far too often to count as "messing with our minds" at this point. Your friend decides if s/he's male or female at the beginning of the game, before looking at any cards. As there's no game benefit to either sex, except as regarding specific cards, your starting sex/gender is really just a special effect.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Johnny Angel

I think, if I were the one making the judgement call, I'd say the player counts as both male and female and would get all of the good and the bad effects which apply to both in a similar manner to how a half-breed works in game.

The sex change question is interesting. I suppose it depends upon what you would consider the opposite of being considered both genders to be.

a) The opposite of both would be being sexless and considered neither. In this state, the player gets all of the good and bad effects of being sexless. This means cards which specify male or female to grant a bonus or penalty would have no effect. However, it also means the player could not use any items which require you to be male or female in the sexless state either.

b) Sex change has no effect beyond the -5 to your next combat. The male components of the player are now considered female by the game, and the female components are now considered male by the game. As such, transgender becomes transgender.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
I think, if I were the one making the judgement call, I'd say the player counts as both male and female and would get all of the good and the bad effects which apply to both in a similar manner to how a half-breed works in game.
Alternately, flip a coin when the issue arises. Heads, they get the good effect, tails, they get the bad effect.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Nobody wants to be outed by a game. For sake of simple politeness what's wrong with letting them play as the sex they want to be treated as in real life? Nothing about Munchkin cares about your chromosomes.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Officially: every player starts the game as either male or female. You may have only one gender at a time, unless a card effect grants you fewer or more than one. If one chooses to declare a gender at odds with outward appearance, one must do so at the start of the game and it must be consistent through the game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Nobody wants to be outed by a game. For sake of simple politeness what's wrong with letting them play as the sex they want to be treated as in real life? Nothing about Munchkin cares about your chromosomes.
I wasn't suggesting to out anyone. If they want to be treated as one sex or the other, that is perfectly fine. My suggestion was for someone who chose to identify themselves as transgender and felt constrained by the rules of the game to choose one or the other while they themselves identified as neither.

...and, yes, I have met people who choose to identify themselves as transgender. I don't find that choice to be any more wrong than choosing to identify as male or female.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting to out anyone. If they want to be treated as one sex or the other, that is perfectly fine. My suggestion was for someone who chose to identify themselves as transgender and felt constrained by the rules of the game to choose one or the other while they themselves identified as neither.
It can be a very touchy situation, and I appreciate your delicacy in handling it. As long as you're keeping to the official rules when you run a demo, I have no objection to your proposed solution in your own games.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Palmer

Quote:
Remember, the sex/gender involved in this discussion is for a fictional CHARACTER who happens to be controlled by a transgender PLAYER.
The character, in the context of the game rules, is constrained. This has no bearing on the player.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, munchkin, sex change, transgender