Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Untalented attempts

Which of the two different untalented lockpicking rules from ITL do you apply to other attempts to do things without talents?

I chose one of the two in my errata, but it seems harsh.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Untalented attempts

I add 1 die for normal sorts of things most people imagine they could do with a little luck, and double the dice for things no reasonable person would imagine they could do without training.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I add 1 die for normal sorts of things most people imagine they could do with a little luck, and double the dice for things no reasonable person would imagine they could do without training.
That's the same way I do it...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 AM   #4
David Bofinger

What about tasks that don't require rolls? Should anyone be able to try to bind up wounds like a physicker?

I had a general rule to let characters buy the basic version of pretty much any talent, cheap, which improved the chance someone would have a chance of success at most things.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Which of the two different untalented lockpicking rules from ITL do you apply to other attempts to do things without talents?

I chose one of the two in my errata, but it seems harsh.
Give the pages of the 2 different untalented lockpicking rules please, so I can look at them. Or list them here.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 02-17-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarify request.
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Give the pages of the 2 different untalented lockpicking rules please, so I can look at them. Or list them here.
All listed in my errata of course.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#IQ11Talents
Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
What about tasks that don't require rolls? Should anyone be able to try to bind up wounds like a physicker?
Generally no, because those tend to be descriptions of things that the talent lets you do. Physicker is specifically mentioned as one that there is no chance to do on ITL page 8.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Generally no, because those tend to be descriptions of things that the talent lets you do. Physicker is specifically mentioned as one that there is no chance to do on ITL page 8.
Agreed. In the specific case David noted, given that there is literally no possibility of them helping the situation; I would let them "bind up the wound" if that's what they wanted to do, but since they have no knowledge of healing, there would be no tangible in-game benefit (they failed to clean the wound properly, or they used a dirty shirt, or they didn't secure the bandage in such a way as to actually help anything, or they inadvertently bound the wound too tightly and are restricting blood flow to the injured area, etc.).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #9
David Bofinger

I agree the RAW say you can't bandage people unless you have Physicker. But it probably isn't very realistic. Even a bad job of bandaging is probably preferable to leaving the wound open, slowly bleeding, perhaps getting worse as muscles around it are used.

I guess one way to look at it is that the default assumes amateur bandaging, and if there's no bandaging for some reason then it really ought to be worse than that, but nobody is mean enough to enforce it.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I guess one way to look at it is that the default assumes amateur bandaging, and if there's no bandaging for some reason then it really ought to be worse than that, but nobody is mean enough to enforce it.
ITL 167: "This rule applies only to field surgery; if you get back to civilization, or if you have a Master Physicker in your party, an arrow can be removed without damage. Note that field removal of an arrow isn’t necessary unless it’s enchanted; otherwise, the shaft can be cut short, and the wound bound up until the victim gets back to a Master Physicker."