Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-13-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
bratnumber3

Default Hypothetical question..

Maybe it's just that I'm at work and have surprisingly little to do, but I was thinking about what would happen if there was in fact no hell, no demons, no Lucifer. Would the human race act any differently? Would the world actually change that much? And where, if anywhere, would God put the people who weren't really going to make it to Heaven?

This obviously isn't a strict in-game problem, but hey, what are your crazy coffee-withdrawl created thoughts? I require entertainment.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
tylrlsaa

Default Re: Hypothetical question..

Hrmm...

Humanity has an unfortunate skill for cruelty, greed, envy, and any other sin you name to keep angels quite busy. Without demonic interferance (or prodding), the work load would be reduced.

Also, Gabriel wouldn't be nuts, and Michael and Laurence would have different words.

Come to think of it, without Lucifer the Eden experiment wouldn't have been called off on account of the apple-eating, and might still be in progress.

If there is no Hell to recieve sinners, perhaps they simply reincarnate?
tylrlsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
harmyn

Default Re: Hypothetical question..

On the matter of the dead who met their final fate, I thought they ended up in the Pit even before the demons showed up, but they mostly just milled about lamenting the bored non-existence of being dead in a lifeless area. But I'm betting many would prefer that to after Lucifer and his buddies showed up.

People would still be screwed up at times, but there would be no semi-organized effort to drag them down into the bowels of hell to be used for food and fuel. And a lot fewer people will be listening to those dark little voices saying to do it. World would be better, but it would be a long ways from perfect. After all, it wasn't heaven on earth BEFORE Lucifer asked to sit in God's chair for a while.
"Wherever you go, there you are." Bonzai
harmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Hypothetical question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrlsaa
Also, Gabriel wouldn't be nuts, and Michael and Laurence would have different words.
And, while there might be a Laurence, he wouldn't be a Malakite. (My money's on Mercurian, frankly.)

Quote:
Come to think of it, without Lucifer the Eden experiment wouldn't have been called off on account of the apple-eating, and might still be in progress.
It was Lucifer who instigated Eden, so no Adam, Lilith, or Eve at all.

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 12-14-2004 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Fixing Elipsis
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
bratnumber3

Default Re: Hypothetical question...

And here I was thinking I'd start a philosophical discussion... :) Oh well. If you can't beat em...

I can imagine an interesting game whereby the forces of darkness aren't even there... What about if the war is won, what happens to humanity at that point? There are always going to be nasty pieces of work with or without demonic intervention, even the eden experiment was inconclusive so it's theoretically possible we would have screwed up without help from Lucifer (depending on how optimistic you are about human nature...)

Does God just pack up the world and start something else, or does he wait and see what happens when we don't have the excuse of 'the devil made me do it' (and how many people are actually right when they say that anyway)

Would angels still have a purpose without the war- would saving single human souls be enough, or would it become like a helpdesk job- monotonous, unchallenging, and ultimately pointless? Would archangels get along without a common goal? (My bet's on Dominic being the first to frenzy- I mean, get mad.) If humans are directly responsible for their own screw ups, without any infernal help- how long will angels want to go on cleaning them up before dissent once again raises its ugly head? Or maybe everyone goes off with Uriel to kill those pesky ethereals once an' furall.

Old grudges die hard, and change is hard for people my age let alone millenia old angels. I don't know what form the Post War Earth is supposed to take, but somehow I don't think that all the loose ends can be tidied up just like that... (oh god... INII- the aftermath...)

Well that went in a random direction.

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 12-14-2004 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Two-dot elipses drive me nuts.
bratnumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote