Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
CON_Troll

Default Would You Support/Organize an OGRE Con?

Ogre Minis Set 2 just wrapped up with nearly a thousand backers and over $87,00 in pledges. This shows there is an incredible support for OGRE as many were pleasantly surprised that Set 2 achieved over 2/3rds the amount that Set 1 brought in. (A lot of people thought this would be a success at even 50%.)

Anyway, one of the supporters (thanks Jeff!) brought up the idea of possibly have an OGRECON sometime in the future. I think this is a fantastic idea. I'd love SJG to officially run this, but they simply don't have time to do it. The "OGRE Launch Party" for ODE is about the closest we'll ever get to a SJG run con.

So my question is: Could we (OGRE fans) possibly organize something like this in the future? When would we aim for? How would we organize it? Who would be willing to volunteer? Could we (should we?) crowdfund it? Where would we hold it? And so many more questions that I'm sure will occur to you that I can't think of at the moment.

For my part, I'd definitely participate in a crowdfunding IF whoever ran it is someone the majority of us recognize. I will also volunteer to work at the convention (set-up, man registration table, cleaning chores, break-down.)

So what do you all think? Yes? No? Maybe? Ask questions, offer opinions!

Edit: Someone suggested that a way to "test the water" would be to run some events at established cons and even smaller local cons. See my 2nd post below. I agree that this would be better than trying to launch an OGRE-only con first.

Last edited by CON_Troll; 11-27-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Additional thought
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
selenite

Default Re: Would You Support/Organize an OGRE Con?

I had a great time at the Launch Party. I'd go to a con, sure, if it was close enough. I'd even chip in for a KS. I can't spare enough cycles to volunteer for it.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Mack_JB

Having helped set up and run model railroading conventions in the past, it would be a huge undertaking, but it could also be really fun to finally have something special to attend. Nothing against any cons, but I only really play Ogre and a few others (sorry, no Munchkin, but it's still a fun game). A con devoted solely to Ogre might be a one time thing, but one never knows.

The only real input I'd have is someplace easy to get to, and while centrally located would be good, one of the coasts is likely a better draw for a destination event.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
CON_Troll

Someone at the Set 2 comments pointed out that a good way to organize an OGRE event is to first do so at some of the established game cons (PAX, Origins, GENCON, DragonCon, etc.) rather than doing it solo as the support structure is in place and run by people with years of experience. I totally agree with this. Much as I am excited about an OGRECON, I'd be just as delighted to get together with some of you via email planning to run some events at established conventions. Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
spenny

i'd love to do this, but time and money for travel make this a longshot unless the location/date just happens to sync up with my life. my middle kid and i have been playing ogre together and i think he'd enjoy the experience as well.

I've never been to a game con, so i don't really even know where/when they are. or which are the big/good ones
spenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
jfleisher

I think I would rather see the effort and resources dedicated to Ogre organized play at established conventions.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
CON_Troll

Yeah, the more I think about it, running events at established cons (even small ones) would certainly be the way to go. Mind you, I would still love to see an "OGRECON" eventually. But I doubt enough of us have the expertise (and more importantly, time!) to organize one.

At this point, what I would love to start doing by sometime late next Summer, is to get with other Ogre players who DO have experience running OGRE at cons for some co-operative projects.

For example (starting in August next year) I can:
1) Offer my van for transport. Useful especially if you have lots of terrain and minis to transport. Also makes it comfortable for a good-sized group of us to travel in. Five people comfortably with quite a few square feet for cargo and personal luggage.
2) Offer to meet you at a con to help run your games. I DO have some con experience running OGRE. Anyone here remember "OGRE Macrotures" at Gencon in the 90s or DragonCon in 2000 and 2001?
3) Bring additional materials to your event. I have some plastic fold-up tables, shelving and other materials you might find useful.
4) Bring my minis and game materials to help bolster your forces for the event. I can email you and updated list of what I have and what is fully painted so that you can make plans in advance.

So, if any of this interests you, and you have any events for August 2018 or later, PM me and we'll see if I can be of assistance to you.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I remember the Macrotures :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

All, Steve will be at Origins in June _and_ we will be running Ogre events. I suggest attending Origins in 2018 to get you "play lots of Ogre!" fix.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
offsides

Here's an idea that may or may not work (especially since I can't really volunteer a lot of time to help with it right now): Rather than OGRECON being it's own convention, what if we were able to organize some sort of roving Ogre con group, which ensured a sizable Ogre presence at not just the major gaming conventions, but various smaller ones too. When I looked at the PAX Unplugged schedule, the two Ogre events both listed a max of 4 players - which is understandable given time restrictions, but severely limits access, especially to new players/wanderers. Another advantage to this idea is that it doesn't require the same people to be involved with everything. Instead, it's a network of volunteers (including MIB) who provide a "critical mass" of Ogre players and sets to make it possible to run both "teaching" Ogre games and more advanced scenarios throughout the entire con rather than smaller, discrete events.

I would definitely try to support this in my local area (Philly), especially once I get my kids more into it. I had them play their first game this weekend with me helping both sides - my daughter (7.5) really got into it even if she has a ways to go to really understand, and my son (5) was really into the idea, but couldn't handle it once the Ogre started taking hits and walked away. But I kinda expected it at his age, so we'll try again later. But I plan to try and play with her again as soon as we have time. :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convention, ogre 6e, ogre miniatures