Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Jumping Step & Mixed Mode Step

If I want to jump instead of walking or running during combat, what would my Step length be?

Can I mix different movement modes in the same turn's Step? As in, I'm a speedster who needs to jump a gap while punching bad guys, or I'm using swimming and tunneling in an iceberg field ambush.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Jumping Step & Mixed Mode Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
If I want to jump instead of walking or running during combat, what would my Step length be?
I don't believe jump gives step. If you want to create it, then you'd convert your jump distance into Move (Jump Move 1 = 1 yard per second; Jump Move 2 = 2 yards per second; etc) and then calculate Jump Step as you would Air Step, Ground Step or Water Step.

Quote:
Can I mix different movement modes in the same turn's Step? As in, I'm a speedster who needs to jump a gap while punching bad guys, or I'm using swimming and tunneling in an iceberg field ambush.
I'd rule that you can't mix movement types while Step'ing, as I don't believe there are any examples of mixed step distance involved between Air, Ground or Water Move given in any of the books and the idea clashes with how I imagine step movement to work. (Or, rather, I'd charge you a Cosmic +50% modifier for all of the Move types that you can mix while Step'ing as per the rules for Cosmic Defense and whatnot in Power-Ups 4. But I allow "Cosmic (Because I say so!), +50%" to do a lot of stuff, so ...)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
B9anders

If you have Super Jump, then simply calculate your jump step from Jump Move the way you would Basic Move or Flight move. Kromm said as much somewhere. The caveat being that it's all in one jump so you have to move in a straight line, whereas as a walking or flying two-yard step could step to the right then forward etc.

Don't think you can mix movement types while stepping. A step is already a very fine-grained unit of movement. The swimming and the tunneling would be in different turns or requiring more movement than a step (though a speedster could do that and more in the blink of a turn with Altered Time Rate). If you have two steps (not the same as having one 2-yard step) such as from Committed Attack or Extra Effort, I'd have no problem with choosing different types of movement for each step.

If you don't have Super Jump, I'd calculate jump move in the same formula to arrive at your jump step (though I am hard pressed to imagine a character without super jump for whom it would be relevant).

Last edited by B9anders; 06-15-2012 at 04:57 AM.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Kromm said as much somewhere.
Found it. Thus Spake Kromm
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Doh! I thought I might've asked this before.

I'm not sure why jumping Step has to be all in a straight line. If a plain multi-hex Step can turn, why can't a multi-hex jumping step be made of smaller jumps that turn? The restaurant sequence in CTHD comes to mind with Jin skipping from railing to railing to table as they fight.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:

I'm not sure why jumping Step has to be all in a straight line. If a plain multi-hex Step can turn, why can't a multi-hex jumping step be made of smaller jumps that turn? The restaurant sequence in CTHD comes to mind with Jin skipping from railing to railing to table as they fight.
It seems to me that each individual jump is a step, regardless of how far it is. You have to push off then land then push of and land again for each additional jump.
I would allow it with the Retains Speed enhancement though.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Erik_Nielsen

Quote:

I prefer to think of this as the nature of a leap; each leap is its own step/move. Each time you kick off, that's another step or move.

Here are two suggestions for handling Jin's restaurant moves:

1) Each of her steps and attacks is a separate turn; the other guys have to Move and Attack just to reach her and hit her, so they keep missing.

2) She's actually using Move and Attack with the Tic-Tacs from MA106. With sufficient SJ, Heroic Charge [MA131] or the Acrobatic attacks from Chambara Fighting [MA128], and a high enough skill, Jin could pretty easily clear the room in a couple of turns.

From a game-balance POV, all other movement is incremental: buying up a level of Basic Move gets you +1 move. SJ is exponential: buying a up a level of SJ doubles your move. In exchange, SJ requires straight-line movement for a Step.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_Nielsen View Post
From a game-balance POV, all other movement is incremental: buying up a level of Basic Move gets you +1 move. SJ is exponential: buying a up a level of SJ doubles your move. In exchange, SJ requires straight-line movement for a Step.
Good points, though I would compare Super Jump to Enhanced Move.
Both are exponential and both have some drawbacks compared to just buying Basic Move. Super Jump is less maneuverable but gets you to full velocity instantly.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It seems to me that each individual jump is a step, regardless of how far it is. You have to push off then land then push of and land again for each additional jump.
I would allow it with the Retains Speed enhancement though.
How can I jump faster than once a second? Sprinters jump from foot to foot, with both feet off the ground, as often as 4 times per second, and speedwalkers can get up to 3 paces/sec. Or do I need longer paces and strides?

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 06-15-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
B9anders

Quote:
How can I jump faster than once a second? Sprinters jump from foot to foot, with both feet off the ground, as often as 4 times per second, and speedwalkers can get up to 3 paces/sec. Or do I need longer paces and strides?
Just take a full move action then.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jumping, super jump