Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #71
Dalin

Default Re: Pyramid #3/104: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer View Post
Birthday today, and Pyramid has given me a wonderful birthday present, of sitting here working my way through the solo adventure with my seven-y-o daughter. Haven't finished yet, but it was a special moment hearing her run upstairs at bed-time yelling "Mummy, we just defeated two swords, that were flying through the air by MAGIC!!!!!!"
I had a similar experience last week on a cross-country road trip. I gave my son, 8, a clipboard with the character sheet on it. I gave my daughter, 5, my phone with a dice rolling program configured for GURPS dice. Then I "ran" the adventure from up front (not driving!).

They had an absolute blast, especially working out the riddle (with a few hints to point them in the right direction). They were so disappointed that there wasn't a sequel that they set about composing their own "solo" adventure for the return trip. It opened with my overconfident character falling upward into a cloud dungeon with ten doors. Many of the doors were quite familiar, but they did innovate—when I defeated the flying sword (just one this time), it followed me around and fought beside me. This was very helpful, because I also had to face a dragon and ten aggressive flying puffballs.

They are both eager for more dungeon fantasy and loved the GURPS system. I'm thrilled that this great intro exists!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #72
Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post

I'm sorry to hear that it bothered you. Let me ask something -- did you catch that it was a reference to the popular meme, "The Cake is a Lie!"? Because, as you mention, the text itself isn't really anti-sandbox in any way, and I'm quite certain that Christopher didn't mean that title to come across as anything other than a joking reference to something prevalent in geek culture.
I wasn't aware of the meme until I came on the forums because I finally had time to read the issue (moving into a new house is really a pain in the ass...). I still disagree with the premise of the article but it is preferable to railroading. I would spot a GM forcing me by giving me the illusion of choice and my players would.

When a GM runs a sandbox campaign he isn't creating content he may never use or at least I don't. I have a whole filing box full of content I've created and used and even reused as the sandbox grows. Players decide to go dungeon romping? I've got them covered. Players decide to stay in town? I've got binders full of NPCs to use. I create this content and use it and repurpose it as campaigns go on.

The solo adventure was fantastic! It brought me back to being a kid when I used to read those choose your own adventure stories. Must have been a huge thing for you guys to write and it was pretty cool. I'm going to print my copy out and share it with my players so they can barrow it and go through it.

Last edited by Ulairi; 07-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #73
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Once a GM is comfortable creating custom adventures, it's time to think about where to go from there. Sure, even unconnected encounters are fun, but there's nothing quite like the look in your players' eyes when they realize that It's a Quest! Experienced GM Christopher Rice shows how straightforward it is to take your game's existing pieces and history, break them down into "tiles" and "touchstones," and then use those to form a "quest mosaic" that will add epicness to any campaign! And if you're in a hurry or just need some inspiration, the Random Quest Generator tables are full of people, places, plot twists, and more.
Good, sound article full of advice I'll never use*... but those tables might just come in handy!

Also my take on the "Sandbox is a lie"... I hate sandboxes as Player. Every group I've ever been in or run for that cried out "Give us a sandbox" was lying. The game would flounder, stumble, and inevitably grind to a bored halt as the Players refused to come up with their own driving goals (or worse, actively fought each other's driving goals). No, no, give me a railroad these days.

*I'm an inveterate improv GM, so I never plan out more than the bare bones and a few 'set pieces' and that's worked for me for years.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #74
JMason

So, my weekly game was canceled last minute so the players that could make it and I decided to roll up some heroic backgrounds. I need to edit the results into something coherent, and will probably post that later. But I just wanted to say it was a lot of fun, and filling in the gaps to make everything fit together was a blast!

I've love to see more random background tables (maybe space so I can finally have that "life path" for GURPS Traveller).

By the way, the Dark Deeds Table is missing an entry for '2'. We decided that 2 would be grouped with 1, but the table has entries for 1,3,4,5,6.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #75
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
So, my weekly game was canceled last minute so the players that could make it and I decided to roll up some heroic backgrounds. I need to edit the results into something coherent, and will probably post that later. But I just wanted to say it was a lot of fun, and filling in the gaps to make everything fit together was a blast!
Me too. I like that a DF character could be raised by ducks.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #76
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped In The Living Tomb, p. 4
Even if your skill is reduced to 1 by modifers, you still succeed on a 3 or 4!
This is at odds with
Quote:
Originally Posted by B345
You may not attempt a success roll if your effective skill is less than 3…
Erratum, confusion on my part, or is this a change for Dungeon Fantasy?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #77
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
This is at odds withErratum, confusion on my part, or is this a change for Dungeon Fantasy?
No, that's a mistake. I have no idea how I missed that in my reviews! I'll ask for this errata to be fixed ASAP.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #78
Steven Marsh

Quote:
No, that's a mistake. I have no idea how I missed that in my reviews! I'll ask for this errata to be fixed ASAP.
And, lo, the file has been updated and pushed.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #79
GM Joe

Finally! I've been waiting for that for, literally, hours. An entire generation of mayflies grew up while I was waiting for that. Geez!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #80
ULFGARD

Wonderful issue - I'm inspired to try to run that solo adventure with my kids!

I don't know where else to say this, but even the least directly useful Pyramids have at least a couple of interesting articles, and of course Random Thought Table, which has never failed to be good and is often great.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, gurps, pyramid 3/104