Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantages by Category

A month and a half ago, I stopped starting new [Basic] Advantage of the Week threads. Though part of this was simple burn out (...yeah, cue world's smallest violin) another part was that even though I knew when I began I didn't want to cover ever single trait in Base Set on its own. Some traits are obviously closely related but some are related... and I would end up realizing it a couple pages into the discussion when it was clear to understand Advantage A we needed to compare and contrast with Advantage B.

Even after this much time... I need help. I won't claim I've been diligent but the attempts I have made have been... shaky at best. As I've demonstrated quite a bit, there is a lot about this game I don't understand (its why I wanted this series of threads to exist) and I think it shows when I try to group like with like. So in short I am asking for those willing to take the time to group Advantages that they believe are closely enough related that they ought to be covered at the same time to avoid needless redundancy to do so. Or to make it clear if they think I've been wrong and should have been keeping it simple and anything that isn't listed together in [Basic] should have its own thread, even if it seems like we are covering the same territory twice.

I am also still wondering if I should be making threads to discuss the Basic Attributes and Figured Quantities, some of which were "Advantages" in previous editions and if so, how should those be divided. I realize this is pretty demanding; I'm asking people to do a bunch of work for a series of threads that I wanted to start. I really want to do a better job than some of the existing 26 threads demonstrates.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
jamesfoxbr

Default Re: [Basic] Advantages by Category

Someone did it https://gurps.net/wiki/_media/collec...categories.pdf
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
AI am also still wondering if I should be making threads to discuss the Basic Attributes and Figured Quantities, some of which were "Advantages" in previous editions and if so, how should those be divided.
I decided early on for Skill of the Week not to start threads for subjects that get thrashed over a lot, even if that happens in threads on other subjects. For attributes, DX, IQ and HT, and the relationship between IQ, Per and Will seem to me to get discussed a lot, so it seems unlikely that new threads will stimulate much in the way of new ideas.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
You might find this thread about which advantages are/are not cinematic useful as well.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Short-term thinking: the next pair seems to be Common Sense + Intuition. They're quite different, but perform functions on a related theme (even Powers admits that a connection of sorts).
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
Otaku

Thanks all. This seems like a good start. My goal is to have a "schedule" of sorts so that, even if there are delays, even if in practice I realize that X should have been paired with Y, or that I need to add in Z even after the thread has already begun... there is still more order to it than there is now and when I've got time to prepare ahead of schedule, its easier to utilize.

Just to be clear; still open to more suggestions, but if you all gave me everything that was available already, I've got enough to go on.

Again, thanks. :)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Okay then, my proposed schedule:
Common Sense and Intuition;
Compartmentalised Mind;
Constriction Attack (this could've been linked to Binding, but too late for that);
Contact/Contact Group;
Courtesy Rank and normal Rank;
Cultural Adaptability, Cultural Familiarities, Xeno-Adaptability and Language Talent;
DR and Injury Tolerance;
Danger Sense and Precognition;
Daredevil and Luck of all sorts;
Dark Vision, Infravision, Ultravision, Night Vision, Hyperspectral Vision;
Destiny and Serendipity;
Detect;
Digital Mind and the related meta-trait discussion;
Discriminatory Hearing, Taste and Smell.
Should suffice for now.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Contact/Contact Group;
This is one of my hobby horses. Have we done Allies already? Because I think it's useful to look at the Allies/Contacts/Patrons as a single unified axis.

Quote:
Dark Vision, Infravision, Ultravision, Night Vision, Hyperspectral Vision;
+ Penetrating Vision?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 02-24-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Otaku

Please pardon the post on such an old thread, but my attempts at getting organized have been proving woefully inadequate. This isn't my top priority (and my top priorities have been frequently getting out of whack as well) so I'll spend a few days on it, then a few weeks will go buy where I don't get to touch it.

Not an excuse, just an explanation.

Unless it got renamed and taken up by someone else, it looks like the "[Basic] Advantage of the Week" series of threads is waiting for me to get my act together. One aspect of this is reflected in the last post (one I thought I responded to months ago but obviously didn't):

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
...Contact/Contact Group...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
This is one of my hobby horses. Have we done Allies already? Because I think it's useful to look at the Allies/Contacts/Patrons as a single unified axis.
One of the examples of where I messed up with the existing threads is that yes, I already did a thread for Allies & Ally Groups. Where this came up. I never got something to work then and it looks pretty time intensive to work out now but I really would love to have it ready to go before I resume the thread... or at least be able to link to someone else that worked out something similar.

Allies, Ally Group, Contact, Contact Group Dependent, Enemy, Enemy Group and Patron all seem so interconnected that while I know they started as methods of modeling so many different things, the overlap is there. To me it seems like there should be a base cost for Ally and Enemy with the rest all being Enhancements and Limitations. An NPC that is "positively disposed" (Ally) towards the PCs should have a price relative to their point total. The same for one that is "negatively disposed" (Enemy). The rest really seems to deal with mechanics that can be separated from this baseline, including how for "Contacts" and "Contact Group" you're not dealing with fleshed out characters but abstract scores. That makes quite a bit of sense as either an Enhancement or a Limitation and there are plenty of tropes where it isn't information or a similar favor, but the mysterious, distant whatever that shows up and helps you with a well timed shot in combat, or the funds for a project, etc. Maybe as a full fledged Ally they would be worth more because you'd get that kind of help and then some... or maybe they would be less expensive as in this role they have access to things they just couldn't as an Ally (unlikely, but at the very least I can probably contrive something).

TL;DR: Still working on this... just taking a lot longer than anticipated. I don't visit the forums often because when I do, I find myself distracted by other topics when I should be getting this stuff caught up. =P

Last edited by Otaku; 09-25-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Fixed code error, and no I still haven't abandoned this. >.>
Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
RobKamm

If you're looking to think about the Ally/Contact/Patron/Enemy axis you may want to put Claim to Hospitality in there as well. CtH has a lot of similar features to the others (in terms of NPC affiliations) but has a very different mechanical implementation.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, discussion, organization, week, [basic]