Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Rhobart

Default Chain Explosion

Hello, Hopefully this is a right way how to post a question.
I have question about chain explosion, mainly about explosives weared by characters. In my campaing a player stepped on a mine. He was party demolition expert a carried several grenades, C-4, mines, etc......
I could not find what happen to those explosives that he carried. Do they automaticly explode? Or are they immune from this damage? Or is there a roll for each item he carried? In the end I sepereted every explosive into a category and roll for each category and on 12+ they went off. Thank you very much.
Rhobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
newton

Default Re: Chain Explosion

for one it depends on the explosive c4 for instance doesn’t chain, it needs a blasting cap, but i’m not sure about the grenades and such
edit: also i think there is an a injury intolerance or something that models explosives and iirc it’s based off damage
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobart View Post
I could not find what happen to those explosives that he carried.
This is mostly beyond the scope of what GURPS models, though you could in principle treat them as objects with Fragile(Explosive).
Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I have question about chain explosion, mainly about explosives weared by characters. In my campaing a player stepped on a mine. He was party demolition expert a carried several grenades, C-4, mines, etc......
I could not find what happen to those explosives that he carried. Do they automaticly explode? Or are they immune from this damage? Or is there a roll for each item he carried? In the end I sepereted every explosive into a category and roll for each category and on 12+ they went off. Thank you very much.
You did about the best you could, really. I mean, maybe ideally you'd have had different target numbers by type, but I wouldn't be able to choose good ones particularly...

I would definitely not follow Anthony's suggestion of treating them as Fragile (Explosive). Modern explosives mostly aren't susceptible to exploding from most types of damage, while Fragile (Explosive) entities are. However, the shockwave from a nearby explosion is exactly the thing that modern explosives are prone to being exploded by, seeing as that's how they're supposed to be detonated (albeit with a smaller and closer explosion).

The one helpful note I'd be able to offer is that propellants are generally more sensitive and far more flammable than explosives proper these days.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I would definitely not follow Anthony's suggestion of treating them as Fragile (Explosive).
It was less a suggestion than 'if you insist on finding a GURPS rule that seems applicable, try...'.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The question is mostly about whether of not the explosion set off the detonators or blasting caps rather than chained the explosives themselves.

Frag grenades should not chain but concussion grenades could in very specific circumstances. See the "gebalte ladung" in the HT section for the Stielhandgranate. That basically involves taping concussion grenades together. In your scenario the grenades would probably be too far from the source of the explosion.

The C-4 would be kept separated from the blasting caps and the mines might not even be fused yet.

Probably nothing happened.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Probably nothing happened.
Yeah, I missed the land mine part before. In general the distance at which munitions will chain detonate is significantly less than the distance at which blast will kill a human, so if a land mine is detonating waist level explosives, it's a big enough explosion that it's unlikely anyone much cares.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
for one it depends on the explosive c4 for instance doesn’t chain, it needs a blasting cap...
Depends on how cinematic one's campaign is.

I mean if we're at "paint a barrel red and it turns explosive" levels if cinema, demoman needs to tread carefully.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, I missed the land mine part before. In general the distance at which munitions will chain detonate is significantly less than the distance at which blast will kill a human, so if a land mine is detonating waist level explosives, it's a big enough explosion that it's unlikely anyone much cares.
The one carrying the explosives probably doesn't care unless there's some exotic elements in play. If they're carrying a significant amount, anybody else nearby might care a great deal...
Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #10
Rhobart

Thank guys for such quick respons. I didnt expect that.
Rhobart is offline   Reply With Quote