Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: High tech reprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriellyon View Post
Yes, but that has no bearing on the requirements of my gaming group.
You could have the monks copy it from the monitor onto your vellum codexes or whatever.

Overwrought metaphor aside, there's no reason you can't just print them is there?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
gabriellyon

Can anyone provide a simple yes or no answer to this question? Thank you.
gabriellyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:
I do appreciate that SJG makes their books available as PDF but sadly this just does not work with my group. We still play on a table carved out of a single tree with our parchment char sheets lit by the flickering and smoky light of oil soaked torches.
It seems that the only options are either a) pay the profiteers, or b) steal a copy from someone who has it. I recommend the first and strongly advice against the second.

Look, this is the wrong forum to ask about SJG's business decisions. That would be SJGames Discussion sub-forum. Be warned that the answer may not satisfy you.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
SCAR

Quote:
Probably nobody can give a simple yes or no answer.

Based on previous statements, I'd hazard the following:

There is unlikely to be a Hardback reprint of High-Tech (or any other book except the 2x Basic volumes), without a dramatic upsurge in the whole print edition rpg market.
There may be a Softcover edition of High-Tech at some point in the future.

That might be the best answer you can get until SJG officially decides to actually do one.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
No.

That is, no one can provide a simple yes or no answer. There's always a chance that any book will be reprinted. However, that decision rests on changing factors (that is, whether or not the market at any given moment appears to support such a decision), and SJ Games tends not to say if or when a reprint will happen until they've made a definite, positive decision to do so.

I don't believe they've announced a reprint, though, so there don't appear to be any current plans to do so. The only thing you can really take away from that is that there won't be a new printing on the shelves for a couple of months. After that? Really, there's no telling, though a look at the rate of reprints over the past few years suggests that such a thing is unlikely but not impossible. The RPG market is in the doldrums, and the ongoing excellent performance of e23 takes a lot of pressure off them to go through the expensive business of producing GURPS physical product.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Look, this is the wrong forum to ask about SJG's business decisions.
To be fair, he wasn't. He was just asking if he'd be able to get a fresh book from the publisher. It's not his fault that the answer's uncertain for complicated reasons.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Anders

Ok, fair point.

I think we all should hope for Print On Demand to make its way into Steve Jackson Games.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
gabriellyon

Quote:
It seems that the only options are either a) pay the profiteers, or b) steal a copy from someone who has it. I recommend the first and strongly advice against the second.

Look, this is the wrong forum to ask about SJG's business decisions. That would be SJGames Discussion sub-forum. Be warned that the answer may not satisfy you.
Ah, I was unaware that this was the right forum. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
I think we all should hope for Print On Demand to make its way into Steve Jackson Games.
This would make me a heppy, heppy marsupial.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
gabriellyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
No.

That is, no one can provide a simple yes or no answer. There's always a chance that any book will be reprinted. However, that decision rests on changing factors (that is, whether or not the market at any given moment appears to support such a decision), and SJ Games tends not to say if or when a reprint will happen until they've made a definite, positive decision to do so.

I don't believe they've announced a reprint, though, so there don't appear to be any current plans to do so. The only thing you can really take away from that is that there won't be a new printing on the shelves for a couple of months. After that? Really, there's no telling, though a look at the rate of reprints over the past few years suggests that such a thing is unlikely but not impossible. The RPG market is in the doldrums, and the ongoing excellent performance of e23 takes a lot of pressure off them to go through the expensive business of producing GURPS physical product.
Thank you, I suppose this is the best answer I may be likely to receive. I appreciate it.

Tags
high-tech