Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #91
Joe

Default Re: The Collaborative Gamer: GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I had it in my head that you had stopped posting for awhile, but evidently I just hadn't followed you in my blog list, so I hadn't realized Temian's adventure had continued! Consider yourself appropriately followed now.
Thanks, Mailanka - always good to have your eyes on things.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #92
Joe

Today I took my fantasy settlement creation system for another spin.

The system is meant to be usable at all scales, from tiny hamlets all the way up to big, sprawling capital cities, so I've been trying to test it out accordingly. Last time, I made a small village - the Haunted Hamlet of Grimwych.

Today, I went to the other end of the scale and made a city. The city turned out to be a pretty dark and awful place (but full of adventure!).

So welcome, traveler, to Nar Xevor, the Voiceless City! You're virtually guaranteed to have an awful time here.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #93
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think I like the settlement tables so far. I've built a few things with them, and I have a few thoughts:

I'd like to see a number other than 7 centers. Its a good number, but it'd nice to have more variety. I'm currently using 2d3+3 centers. That might be too much variation, but having 7 every single time bothers me.

You sent me on a wild goose chase trying to figure out the best way to arrange 7 hexes and how many possibilities there were. In the end all I can say is that you did a pretty good job, all things considered.

I really like having these tables. Its fantastic to be able to talk about a city in more than generic terms.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #94
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think I like the settlement tables so far. I've built a few things with them, and I have a few thoughts:

I'd like to see a number other than 7 centers. Its a good number, but it'd nice to have more variety. I'm currently using 2d3+3 centers. That might be too much variation, but having 7 every single time bothers me.

You sent me on a wild goose chase trying to figure out the best way to arrange 7 hexes and how many possibilities there were. In the end all I can say is that you did a pretty good job, all things considered.

I really like having these tables. Its fantastic to be able to talk about a city in more than generic terms.
Thanks for the praise! And for the thoughts, too.

I, too, have reservations about the standardization to 7 hexes - it seems to risk monotony - and at one stage I thought perhaps I'd use town plans composed of anything from 4-10.

But in the end I went with 7 for everything, in the hope that this standardization would make it easier for these tables to slot into the rest of the "Town Adventures" system that I'm still building. Whether or not it ends up helping, is yet to be determined....

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #95
Joe

Does anyone else like to generate treasure on-the-fly, during the game?

If so, you may like this treasure system.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #96
Joe

So my GURPS solo character, Temian Fell, is stuck in town with a broken hand. What better time to use my new fantasy town creation system as a way to flesh out the details of his home town, Dunmoss?

Hence today's post: Creating Dunmoss, Part I.

As always, all feedback, exclamations of shock and joy, stern critique, etc welcome.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #97
Joe

In today's post, I continue to use my fantasy town creation system to put some flesh on the bones of Dunmoss, my PC's home town.

I was surprised by a few of the results here. It turns out that Dunmoss is also home to an ancient cult! Who would have thought?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #98
Joe

Today I used my fantasy town creation system to create the final districts of Dunmoss, my PC's home town.

I finally learned which part of town Temian grew up in, too! It certainly explains a few things...
Old 12-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #99
Armin
GCA Prime

I have enjoyed reading this series. I like your generator and how you put it to use here.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #100
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I have enjoyed reading this series. I like your generator and how you put it to use here.
Thanks, Armin! Your kind words are much appreciated.

Tags
blog, blogs