Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Fossilized Rappy

Default The Fossilized GURPS Blog

Back when I first started being part of the GURPS community, I hadn't had any thoughts of blogging about it, figuring I'd just post stuff on the forums when I felt like contributing. After butting heads with the 10,000 character limit more than a few times, though, I ended up thinking about it more and more. I finally ended up biting and created the Fossilized GURPS Blog a few days ago.

I only have two content-related things up right now: my guide to categories that will be used in the blog, and one on Strikers and other animal-inspired abilities, but I plan on making collected and updated versions of materials from my previous setting thread that recovers things I had cut to save on character limit space.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll update, and I doubt anything will be quite as exciting as other blogs around here, but hopefully it will be at least somewhat useful and entertaining.
Fossilized Rappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: The Fossilized GURPS Blog

Welcome to the blogging community!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Pseudonym

Added your blog to the reading list, look forward to reading more from you.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 AM   #4
Fossilized Rappy

Thank you, both of you! I'll try my best to be at least somewhat interesting.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Joe

Welcome! And looking forward to more. Those striker write-ups are very handy.

In passing: I wonder if this new development will tempt Ghostdancer out of his self-imposed holiday exile, so as to say "Welcome to the Brotherhood of Bloggers who Blog Too Much. Your decoder ring is in the mail", as is traditional. He does like to say that.

On the other hand, if he does chime back in to say his traditional line, I will feel vindicated in my prediction that he will prove constitutionally incapable of keeping away from the forums all the way until the new year. Either way I cheer for all involved.

So I watch this thread with extra interest!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Fossilized Rappy

A couple new posts today.

First, I get down and dirty with some ugly talk about an enhancement from an older Pyramid article by the wonderfully talented Ghostdancer (hopefully I didn't mangle your work too much!).

Then, I lay down a bit of groundwork for future posts with the basic mechanics ground rules about one of my currently existing settings, Fallen Stars. The one for my other setting should be done tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Fossilized Rappy

A day late due to circumstances out of my control, but the ground rules post for my Hidden Worlds and Buried Secrets setting is here.

Assuming nothing goes wrong, I may have a few more posts up today and/or early tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Fossilized Rappy

A bit belated, but I put up a general mission statement on a planned set of pseudo-conversions of the 3E material from GURPS Dinosaurs yesterday. Why pseudo-conversion? Well, you'll have to read and find out!

And added today is a catalogue of player- and NPC-focused mutants for Fallen Stars. This is an update of posts I made on the forum last year and early this year, adding a bit of material I had to cut for the 10,000 character limit, a few more mutant variants, changing up some stats, and working on things I've learned since then, like "Unusual Biochemistry doesn't work the way I thought it did" and "there is a limit to how many times you can write sentences featuring the same long word in a row before it looks awkward".
Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Fossilized Rappy

Happy GURPSDay! How about celebrating with some rough and tumble dinosaurs, the ceratopsians?

A fun behind the scenes fact about this one: the hardest part of doing the first of the GURPS Dinosaurs pseudo-conversions was the beginning, and from there it was just a roll downhill. Once you figure out the ground rules you want, most dinosaurs of the same family end up being pretty similar in the traits department. I have the feeling this will end up becoming less true when I get to the wildly varied sorts, but for now it meant that the biggest hurdle I had to get over was the first one (and the bumps of writer's block afterwards!).
Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #10
Fossilized Rappy

Another week, another Thursday. This time, we've got an entry for both of my settings.

For Hidden Worlds and Buried Secrets, there's a brief rundown of the major "classes" of paranormal beasts and beings that exist out there.

Meanwhile, in Fallen Stars, there's a similar rundown, in this case a brief history of the nations of Fallen America and some of the strange facets of reclaimed cities and the mysterious Starfall Zones.

Tags
blog, blogs